Author Topic: Alfred BEESTON emigrated to Australia 1912  (Read 7515 times)

Offline stockdove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred BEESTON emigrated to Australia 1912
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kopittr
I was really pleased to get your message but an afraid I won't be of much help to you. You appear to know more about Alfred than I do.
I have a copy of his birth certificate and had found his name on the passenger list of the Orvieto and his army records. I also have a photo of the family at Bradley Park. I think it must have been taken between 1908 & 1912 as I'm pretty sure my grandmother{ Alfred's sister} was married when it was taken.
You mention that you are in contact with a neice of Alfred, is that one of Isaac's daughters? I am not in touch with her. Did Ike maintain contact with Alfred? I understood from my grandmother that after a few years Alfred stopped writing.
I believe I have a copy of the Beeston family tree compiled by you in 1995, it was given to me by a third cousin after a chance meeting in Hulland churchyard. I look forward to hearing from you again.               Jan

Offline kopittr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan,

I have attached a photograph of Alfred taken by G McGrath P15 Her Majesty's Arcade, Sydney.

Since Alfred had only one sister, Alice, I presume she is your grandmother - we visited the Gregory grave when we were in the Hulland area in 2005 but know little of this branch of the family apart from the names of the children.

I don't have Alfred's birth certificate just that he was born in the third quarter of 1883 at Idridghay.

My maiden name is Beeston and I have been researching my Beeston family for many years - they originated (as far back as I have been able to find them) in Mugginton but lived variously in Kniveton (where some are buried), Hognaston, Fenney Bentley and then in Stockport, Cheshire. Whilst searching for them I made contact with local Beestons and have since enjoyed regular visits, letters and phone calls. When they said they had "lost" Alfred in Australia I started researching their family as well and looking for Alfred here in Australia - I have a very extensive tree now and lots of photos - much more than will be on the tree you have.

It is indeed one of Isaac's daughters from whom I obtained many of the photographs and other documents - also her nephew. We visited the area again in January 2009 but as we were not well didn't see Kathleen. Every time we are in touch I get asked about Alfred - it is embarrasing that I have not yet found him. Apparently the last that was heard from him was circa 1930. I have been given other snippets of information - he worked fruit picking in Tasmania, letters were sent to the School of Arts in Sydney, married an Australian girl (cannot find this), last address was some school of music - not sure how much of this is true.

Perhaps I should apply for the 1950 death certificate.

I would like to send a copy of all the documents I have but it is difficult to do so through here. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Offline BeestonFamily

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I recently noted your posts relating to the Beeston's in Hulland Ward Derbyshire. My direct line goes back to this village through:
Michael Beeston b. 1895 who's family lived in Grange Mill, Derbyshire
William Toplis Beeston (m. Mary Spencer) b. 1862
Isaac Beeston (m. Caroline Wheeldon) b. 1826 - farmer in Hulland Ward
Michael Beeston (m. Martha ?) b. 1781 - farmer in Hulland Ward

Perhaps your relations are linked to Michael & Martha's children. If so, I would be interested if you have any further information other than that available on the census and related bmd records.

Offline kopittr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 12 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I do have additional information on this BEESTON family apart from census records and BDM. I have been researching the family for a friend - my BEESTON family comes from the same area but as yet no connection to the family you mention however I do have extensive material on Isaac, Michael and other branches of the family you name.

If you want to contact me directly then you can do so via email - kopittke(AT)tpg(DOT)com(DOT)au.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Rosemary

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 12 06:12 GMT (UK) »
in a previous reply I gave these electoral roll entries.  I now have access to data up to 1972 and the man at Meson St Gayndah, Qld is there in 1958, but does not show after that.

On the electoral rolls there are two men Alfred BEESTON (quite a few more with two forenames, but you think Alfred only used one)

1925 Division Wide Bay, Subdivision Gayndah, Qld
Alfred BEESTON, labourer, Hawkwood,
1936 and 1943 the address is given as Hawkwood Station, Hawkwood and his occupation is stockman
1954 at Meson St, Gayndah, no occupation given

1943 Alfred BEESTON King St Darlinghurst West, wharf labourer
1949 Alfred BEESTON 333 Bourke St,  Darlinghurst West, wharf labourer

Both men have no other BEESTON at the addresses.
1954 is the extent of my access to the rolls

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kopittr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 12 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I have found my Alfred Beeston - he died on 3 May 1950 at Randwick, NSW. I found other information relating to the death as well in the newspapers. He was difficult to track down but with the help of others he is now found.

Rosemary

Offline Beestonsweeney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello I just came across this post I'm trying to find information about the beeston family I'm Charles Alfred Lyle Beeston's and pearl Beeston's granddaughter I would love to see what information you have on the family
Thank you

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 April 20 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan & Rosemary, I'm not related to the family of Alfred Beeston, but if this thread happens to be Alfred Beeston (aka Burton) who died 3.5.1950 in Randwick, I'd be interested if anyone knows any info on his "wife" Vivienne, mentioned in the 1950 death notice and 1945 Will/Probate, she seems to go by a number of names (Vivienne Borne, Vera Smith). I am chasing a Vivienne Borne who came out from NZ to Sydney in 1935 with her new husband, then cannot trace her. I have located Vivienne Beeston buried back in NZ in 1982.   
BANKS, CHIRNSIDE, DUKE, SEATON, WOIDE

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 April 20 06:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I have found my Alfred Beeston - he died on 3 May 1950 at Randwick, NSW. I found other information relating to the death as well in the newspapers. He was difficult to track down but with the help of others he is now found.

Rosemary

BEESTON Alfred
11306/1950
Father ALFRED
Mother JANE
KINGSFORD

This man died on 3rd May 1950 so is the same one referred to in the quote above. I do not see any middle name Allan used
Sue

Oh,
The name of Allan has been removed in your post.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk