Author Topic: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre  (Read 52029 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 October 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stacey,

I spoke to my son this morning who is a Police Officer in Tranent, I told him your story about your sister hearing what sounds like a little girl and the toys being moved.

I told him she was in a new-build house, he said that some new-builds are an area called " Kemps End " hence the wee boy who was killed with half his head taken off, if your sister lives there then what she is probably hearing is the wee boy, there is still no name for him, as stated earlier he was 13 years old and it was his younger brother William aged 8 years that witnessed the killing.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 October 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
That must be almost as bad as living in Hob's Lane (Quatermass and the Pit, for the benefit of younger readers).

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if an apology was ever made by the Government or the Regiment at some point.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Massacre - Aftermath
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

At Monica's suggestion, I am posting this here after posting it earlier as a new thread.

"I have been reading the London newspaper reports from the weeks following the Tranent massacre - or riots, as the papers have it. Lots of reports but many are simply repeating what they were fed by the Edinburgh press.
It was reported that about 8 "rioters" were taken away to Haddingon gaol and later to Edinburgh for trial. Somewhere I read that a number of these prisoners were convicted and transported - and in 1797-8 that must have been to New South Wales.
So far I have not been able to track down any records of the trials, nor the lists of those who were tried. Can anyone help me there? My family may yet have a convict connection or two.

Incidentally, the Manchester Times and Gazette of Oct 28 1843 reprinted an article from Tait's Magazine which mentioned the "riots at Tranent" in the same context as a discussion of a "mock rebellion in the west". It remains a mystery that the people of Tranent and surrounds were dealt with so harshly when similar protests and actions were being managed relatively cleanly at numerous towns all over Scotland. Perhaps the Battle of Prestonpans was still a sore spot for many of the people in power, even after the passage of 52 years."

The same report mentioned the "execution of Hardie and Baird at Stirling". I am interested in this tangent as both names are in my wife's family line, as was Jackie Crookston. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the circumstances of this event, and exactly who "Hardie and Baird" were, and what dreadful crime they had committed to justify their execution.

Cheers,

Gerry

Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 December 11 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Archie!

I have checked out all the references you gave me.  What a story!

Now, if only I can find some link between the collier Baird families of Tranent and that of John Baird, weaver, from North Lanarkshire. . .
Pretty tenuous, I would think, but I will have a look.

Gerry

Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 December 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

what a difference from Weaver to a Miner, anyway happy hunting I am sure you will find a link if I can be of any help give me a shout.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 December 11 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Archie,

I will keep your kind offer in mind. Researching Tranent from Brisbane, Queensland is sometimes difficult!

By the way, I really like your 1799 map.  I note your Copyright on it. May I use it in my (private) notes of all this history to share with my family?

Cheers,

Gerry

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 17 December 11 02:18 GMT (UK) »
G'Day Gerry,

thank you for asking, if it is for private use there is no problem, so you are from sunny Brisbane, we were there 3 years ago visiting Relatives, one lives in Elimbah and the other in Ferny Hills, a beautiful country and the people match it as well.

I was standing on a bit of waste ground in Bribie Island but next houses, my cousin said don't move so I froze, after a few minutes he yanked me on to the road, it turned out a King Brown Snake was over my two feet and I never felt it, same with the Red Backs there was a nest near his pool I never changed underwear so fast !!.

We had a lovely walk along the beach at Wooram pure white sand I wish we were back again.

Cheers.

Archie.