Author Topic: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre  (Read 52010 times)

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Joan ( Jackie ) Crookston of the Tranent Massacre
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Euphemia Adam was the second of John Adam's four children.  Three of them married Smiths from the village of Penston.

You might be interested in my website, if you've not already seen it (link on the left of this post).

Alistair Adams
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 18 March 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry I should have said Euphemia was John's daughter. I have a number of ancestors that lived in Newton, Tranent, Musselburgh, Old Craighall or the surrounding area.The main families that I am looking for are : Gordon, Wilson, Gray, Muirhead, Ross, Halley, Love, Smith, Adam and Watson. Good site Alistair.

Richard

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

there was motion put forward on debates day in the House of Commons on the 7th Nov 1797 regarding the Tranent Militia incident. The mover of the question was by the right Honourable Mr Tierney. I searched for the MP's of that era and the only one I could find was George Tierney from the constituancy of Southwark. He asked for an enquiry into the actions of the Militia. Pitt wasn't to keen for an enquiry and other MP's actually praised the soldiers for a job well done. The motion was defeated by 139 votes to 8.

Richard.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 26 March 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Friends,

Monica I am sorry but I have not received any notifications on this subject for ages.

Ok I have attached the birth for Joanna Crookston for you all in case you do not have it, as far as I know she married William Ross in 1789,  I have been on to Scotland's People and it does not come up, if they married then perhaps they never had the money to pay for registration, or did they have an Irregular marriage like many others.

Her death has never been registered again perhaps William never had the cash at the time, this is a real shame as she was one of the Heroine's of Tranent and noted in history.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 26 March 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie

Great to see you back  :) Sometimes gremlins appear on the notifications, so worth double checking in case something has been unticked for this topic.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline belter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Recently discovered I am descended from Jackie Crookston's brother, James.  He has a daughter Janet who goes on to marry a William Wood.  Their son James Wood who marries Mary Morton is my 3x great grandfather.  Any more info on these family tree branches would be appreciated. 
     Very proud to know I am descended from such a strong and determined woman. :)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Belter,

welcome to the family cousin here is a site I came across, just click on the names.

http://www.geni.com/people/Jackie-Joan-Crookston/6000000009608060911

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 20 July 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Belter

I presume you have read the posts on this thread from 14 and 15 March 2010 which mention William Wood and Janet Crookston.  You'll see too the death certificate of their son William Wood.

David

Offline fnqjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 August 12 06:26 BST (UK) »
Recently discovered I am descended from Jackie Crookston's brother, James.  He has a daughter Janet who goes on to marry a William Wood. 

I too am descended from Janet Crookston and William Wood, via their son William Wood who married Elizabeth Grant. 

Their son James Wood who marries Mary Morton is my 3x great grandfather.  Any more info on these family tree branches would be appreciated. 

It seems that the families of these two brothers were close, because William and Elizabeth called one of their daughters Mary Morton Wood, obviously after their sister-in-law.  (One of their 11 children)

Very proud to know I am descended from such a strong and determined woman. :)

Me too, I was able to obtain details of the Tranent Massacre set out in a small booklet from Scotland some years ago, I think it was from the Midlothian or East Lothian local authority.  In it I found details of how another woman, I think Janet Hog, stood up to the authorities and even gave evidence at a subsequent trial.  James Crookston's wife Jean Hog had a sister Janet Hog, so maybe they both had a sister in the thick of it - probably they were too. 

I was very interested to read on another post that Jackie Crookston's husband subsequently married a Janet Hog, but the details given are for a Janet Hog with different parents.  I'm hoping that they made a mistake and our Jean's sister Janet, the Janet who also resisted and the Janet who married William Ross were all the same person.  But both Janet and Hog are common names in that area, so could be 2 or even 3 different people.  Other family members have the booklet at the moment, so can't check the name for sure.
Wood, Brown, Crookston, Hog, Cossar of Lothians Scotland
Kellas, Coutts, Glennie of Aberdeenshire Scotland
McDonald, McGregor of Glasgow and Aberdeenshire Scotland