Author Topic: Roberts Family-Sussex  (Read 8652 times)

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roberts Family-Sussex
« on: Sunday 15 November 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
  An Edward T Roberts b abt 1807 in St.Thomas, West Indies, was in the Coast Guard in Sussex and lived in the area from about 1834 until his death between 1871-1881.  He had two sons named Edward, the second born about 1853 who may be my g-grandfather who emigrated to New York in 1880's.  He appears in 1861 and 1871 English census, in the latter as a journeyman baker, but most men in the family were mariners.
  In New York State census of 1892, Edward Roberts is shown with wife, Eliz, and daughters Edildra, Lillie, Emma and Emily.  All are shown as having been born in England except my grandmother, Emily, who was born in New York.  All in family were listed as citizens except Edward who was listed as an alien, and whose occupation was engineer.  Family lore was that he, too, was a mariner
  I believe that the second Edward son of Edward T is the same as the Edward in the 1892 NY State census but have been unable to establish that unequivocally.  Any suggestions? ???

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family-Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 09 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Are you connected with a Henry and Mary Roberts in Rye Sussex especially the 1806 birth.  My family were maritime Mary Roberts was the widow of Richard Clark when she married Henry Roberts in 1802  Thanks  LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 09 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Not that I am aware off.  I know nothing about the family of Edward T Roberts born about 1807 in St Thomas West Indies--there could be a connection there.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 09 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate for Edward to Elizabeth?  Where does the name Edildra come from?   Very unusual.  I see Edward T lived in Newhaven.  It might be worth a post on the Sussex board so that Petmas picks it up as he is involved with the maritime museum at Newhaven.
Regards
Andrea

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
The only connection I have of Edward and Eliz(abeth) is a listing in the 1892 Kings (Brooklyn) New York Census--link as follows:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07n0/

Although both shown as born in England and three of four children were born in England, I have not found any marriage certificate or birth certificates of the children.

As for Edildra, I believe the same person is listed in the same 1892 Brooklyn Census, the 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 US Census as "Edildra", "Tilly", "Matilda", "Ethaldria", and "Ethelda", respectively.  By 1900, she had married Hugh Smith.  I did come across a Ethel Hilda born in England about the right time, but in checking the birthcertificate, it's a different person.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 December 09 01:14 GMT (UK) »
You mention "Edildra, Lillie, Emma and Emily" but in the 1892 census I can only see Edildra (15), Lillie (13), Emma (11) with the family and Emily (8) is in a different listing (although on the same page as the other girls).  It seems odd (unless she was staying with the neighbours?)

What happened to Emily in the later censuses? I can't see the family in other censuses together.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:08 GMT (UK) »
No explanation on the placement on the census form.  My conclusions result solely from the fact that Edward, Eliz, Ethildra and Lillie all appear on the same facing pages

But I have a census of my grandmother and half-uncle living with Ethildra and Hugh in 1910 in NY, and Elizabeth (mother) living with Ethildra in 1920 in NY, plus  family pictures of "Aunt Lil".  I am reasonable certain of the composition of the family, but there is no colloborative evidence on Emma.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 09 11:22 GMT (UK) »
So the mother Elizabeth was still in NY in 1920? (I'm presuming widowed by then). Where on earth are they hiding in 1900, I wonder.

http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages.html?index=bride
 - Lillie could be the Lilian Roberts who married Thomas F. Webster in 1899 (can't spot them in 1900?)

I would suggest you try and find the death records/obituaries for Emma and Ethildra, also if you can spot one for the mother Elizabeth.  What you really need is something that lists Elizabeth's maiden name.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.england.lan.general/48571/mb.ashx
 - from here the mother remarried, and one of the daughters married a "Jerome Gross" at some point.
White Plains is in Westchester Co and although I can't access the full details it appears a Jerome and Laura Gross are living there in 1920
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 December 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
this could be your Edward seniors death
Deaths Mar 1878   Roberts  Edward  age 66  Lewes  2b 134

age is slightly out but remember that was what the informant believed the deceased to be.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive