Author Topic: Roberts Family-Sussex  (Read 8650 times)

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family-Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 December 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1900 in Brooklyn, where I believe they lived, there is an Elizabeth Roberts, widow, and born in England,  living with an "Amelia" Roberts-born in New York who might be my grandmother, Emily. In 1920 census a Elizabeth Forks, Forus, or Forbes (census is illegible)  is living with Hugh and Etheldra and is listed as mother in law.  I believe she remarried after the death of Edward, and her second husband died, also.

I have used the New York City vital records division to try to find either the birth certificate or marriage certificate of my grandmother, but turned up nothing.  From divorce records, and other records, I know she was born in NYC and her first marriage was in NYC.

Finding something on Ethildra will be difficult because of the many variations of her name.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 December 09 18:39 GMT (UK) »
what are the exact details from the census for the people you are following i.e. names age and p.o.b
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 December 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
The first post contains the particulars, except that the Edward I'm interested in was born in Birling Gap, Sussex.  The 1861 and 1871 census only list him as a child in the family.  The next record I have of all of them is the 1892 Brooklyn, Kings, New York Census.  US or State census records would only list country of birth, which is England as stated, except for my grandmother, Emily, who was born in NYC.  Edward was listed on the Eastbourne birth registration v 2b p 47 for Mar 1853.

The questions for which I have no answers are: 1)is the Edwards Roberts born in Birling Gap and appearing in the English census of 1861 and 1871, the same Edward Roberts born in England appearing in the 1892 Brooklyn, Kings, New York Census, 2)what was his wife, Eliz(abeth) maiden name and when did they get married in England (assuming so, because their first 3 children were born in England). 

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:11 GMT (UK) »
if you purchase one of the childrens birth certificates this should tell you the mmn.

when did Edward first appear at Birling Gap ?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Have not been able to find specifically where the kids were born in England, and therefore not found any birth registration from which to get a birth certificate. 

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 December 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
that is why i wanted to know what it said on the census for the childrens ages and p.o.b

Offline glenbrighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 June 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Edward Roberts (b. 1807) was my G.G.G. Grandfather.

He married Jane Sarah Wade in 1834. I believe he had 9 children:

Edward (b 1837)
William (b. 1841)
Ann Harriett (b. 1844)
Emma (b. 1845)
Clara (b. 1846)
Frederick (b. 1850)
John (b. 1852)
Edward (b. 1854)

His youngest daughter Catherine Elizabeth (b.1856 in Birling Gap) was my G.G. Grandmother. She married Samuel Lovick Johnson in 1877 in Eastbourne in Sussex. I have copies of both her birth certificate and marriage certificate. Her father is a "Naval Officer".

Hope this helps...sorry it took me so long to find this thread!

Glen

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 June 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Always welcome additional information.  It turns out Edwards Roberts was my grandmother's step-father, not real father.  However, I'm still interested in determining whether Edward who appears in a Brooklyn, NY census is the same Edward I discovered in Birling Gap. 

Offline LeGalopin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Edward T Roberts was my great great grandfather. Any information you need about the family I am happy to give you

fleur