Author Topic: Alexander Forbes & Jane Williams  (Read 9988 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Forbes & Jane Williams
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 October 19 00:02 BST (UK) »
Birth, Baptism etc.. did they register their children as foreign born etc..

I would love to find out if they were registered as Foreign born and were they still considered Irish or then South African's?

Frustrated as this post is 10 years old and no closer to finding anything new, sadly :( and when I do catch up I am gathering the people here saying we share the same Ancestors may well be long gone.

I assume that they followed the same practice as they did in Ireland and Britain and that the only evidence a person had as to where and when they were born was an entry in a baptism register. Registration of births began in England in 1837, Scotland 1855 and Ireland 1864. Since the authorities didn't have registrations for home births I doubt that they would be interested in children born to people who had emigrated and who were not expected to return. The exception was children of soldiers. Regimental chaplains kept baptism registers from mid 18th century. Soldiers, their wives, widows or children might need proof of legitimate birth so that they could claim pensions and other benefits.
The British government twice levied taxes on births, marriages and deaths in 18th century. The Anglican curate of each parish was responsible for listing every baby born, often in the baptism register and collecting the money. The government was only concerned with the amount of money raised, not in the babies, (a high proportion of whom would die, anyway).   
 British Consulates forwarded info to Britain about births in their region from mid 19thC. for inclusion in a foreign births register. It would have been the responsibility of parents or chaplains to supply information. It wasn't compulsory.

I looked at Sheila May's profile. She has posted only about this topic. There is a private message function which can be used by new members when they have made 3 posts. If Sheila doesn't reply to this thread you could try sending her a message.
Cowban

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 October 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
I noticed that too.

This is why it is so frustrating to find anything.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 October 19 08:03 BST (UK) »
Have heard of Irish glassworkers in the Black Country called Forbes!

Skoosh.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 October 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
Some more information here:
https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers
Article "The Story of the 1820 Settlers"
Link to a book on the Internet Archive "British South Africa - A History of the Colony of Cape of Good Hope from the Conquest 1795to Settlement of Albany by British Emigrants 1819" by Colin T. Campbell, published 1897. A short chapter on Parker's Party. List of emigrants by ship and party further on in book. Alexander, Edward and Ed's wife were all recorded as aged 27. (The writer of the above article mentions age discrepancies for some settlers.)
Menu bar:
1820 Settler places in British Isles - select Ireland then Longford and there's a pic of Templemichael Church (St. John's C. of I., Church St., Longford Town). John Armstrong (another settler) married Catherine Forbes there.
Additional information - Surnames - F - Forbes. Says Edward's age at death in 1870 was "about 100" which was not correct. Suggests Catherine Forbes, wife of John Armstrong was probably sister of Edward and Alexander. Mentions baptism of John, son of Alexander Forbes and Elizabeth Clarke, January 1817 at Templemichael.
Correspondence from or about settlers. Collection of correspondence is in National Archives at Kew. Some transcriptions are in Cape Archives CO 6138. There are some transcriptions online at wa.amu.edu.pl/1820settlers_petition_letters/start
Correspondence includes 2 letters written from Cobh, Cork by some settlers from Longford while they were waiting to find out if they could sail and becoming desperate. One is by John Armstrong, possible brother-in-law of Alexander and Edward Forbes and a follow-up letter a couple of weeks later from Ed. Forbes and John and Laurence Armstrong "after selling our small places …".

Sorry if there are any mistakes above. I can't go back and correct them or I'll lose it.
Ang may know all the above.

Alexander was killed in S. Africa.

Pity there is no further details on them.

Are they part of the Earl of Granard's lot or not?

The Earl of Granard.... which sounds like they lived in Granard, lived about 2 miles from Longford town at Newtownforbes.

They had their own Church and a little cottage there...  ;D

https://historicgraves.com/graveyard/newtown-forbes/ld-spnf

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2016/11/castle-foreboding/

Plenty of Edwards and Alexanders too.

Were the ones who emigrated reasonably well off?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 October 19 14:30 BST (UK) »

A return of famine-related deaths, headed ‘Deaths by Starvation in the District of Kilworth from the 1st January last’, dated 17 April 1847, submitted by the earl of Mount Cashell to Captain R. B. Forbes:

https://www.drb.ie/essays/Famine-Document

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
You are so right it is a pity there is no further details on them. ::)

I have no idea if they were a part of the  Earl of Granard's as there is no further details. Wouldn't that be lovely to know.

"They had their own Church and a little cottage there" Oh my how nice  ;D

It seems Edwards and Alexanders names were extremely popular  ;D

I read that when they  emigrated, they were of the free party and not of the poor on the Wiliam Parker's Party and was given land. Alexanders Farm is mentioned in the 1820 Settlers Book also mentions his Murder.

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hallmark

Thank you :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 October 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you so, so much :D

No record of their baptism nor of their parents or their parents ..

I believe they in the 1820 settlers book. Did they register their children as foreign born and  Where they South Africans or Irish. I am finding nothing.

Also seems Alexander married Jane and she was 12 - 16 years old ?!?!  She signed with a simple "X" so how was she to register her children?

So lost at the moment