Author Topic: Alexander Forbes & Jane Williams  (Read 9911 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Forbes & Jane Williams
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 October 19 18:06 BST (UK) »

All very vague....are there no further details on any record?

Occupation?
Address?

etc

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 October 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Ang.

This post is almost 10 years old, so Sheila may no longer be expecting messages, but you can hope that someone picks up your posting.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 October 19 20:31 BST (UK) »

All very vague....are there no further details on any record?

Occupation?
Address?

etc

Some information about the family:

Enquiry "Frbes family on Ireland Reaching Out website. Ireland XO message board
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board?combine=Forbes
There is another enquiry about a Forbes family from Longford on page 2.

https://www.geni.com/projects/1820-Settlers-Parker-s-Party/10420
Trees and timelines on Geni website for Edward Forbes and Alexander Forbes.

www.southafricansettlers.com/?cat=16&paged=35

Books:
"Irish Settlers to the Cape - a History of the Clanwilliam 1820 settlers from Cork Harbour" by Graham B. Dickinson tells the story of a group of settlers including 31 mostly from Longford Town, who emigrated to South Africa in 1820.
"The Settler Handbook" by M.D. Nash

The Forbes brothers were members of Parker's Party of settlers. Those settlers were part of the first assisted British emigration scheme approved by the British government in 1819. A total of 4000 emigrated from Ireland and Britain under the scheme.
Letter from William Scanlan, leader of the Longford group in National Archives, Kew, catalogue reference CO48/45
Apology for any spelling errors. My computer is making letters disappear if I try to correct them. I have to get round it by deleting words. It did it once before. I don't know why.
Cowban

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 October 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Chempat, (Sorry couldn't see your name)

Thank you for the welcome :)

If I click on the name it shows when the account was opened and last on "I think" I might be wrong. But thank you so much for letting me know I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.

Holding thumbs and here's hoping lol ;D

Ang

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 October 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone

Thank you for the information.

That was a little more information I never had. I have been hitting a lot of dead ends and repetitive information. The Irish side of my family is so hard to get.

Birth, Baptism etc.. did they register their children as foreign born etc..

I would love to find out if they were registered as Foreign born and were they still considered Irish or then South African's?

Frustrated as this post is 10 years old and no closer to finding anything new, sadly :( and when I do catch up I am gathering the people here saying we share the same Ancestors may well be long gone.

Thank you again for the information - Oh and the one post on XO message board was me a few days ago Maria Forbes :)

Ang

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 October 19 22:02 BST (UK) »
Some more information here:
https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers
Article "The Story of the 1820 Settlers"
Link to a book on the Internet Archive "British South Africa - A History of the Colony of Cape of Good Hope from the Conquest 1795to Settlement of Albany by British Emigrants 1819" by Colin T. Campbell, published 1897. A short chapter on Parker's Party. List of emigrants by ship and party further on in book. Alexander, Edward and Ed's wife were all recorded as aged 27. (The writer of the above article mentions age discrepancies for some settlers.)
Menu bar:
1820 Settler places in British Isles - select Ireland then Longford and there's a pic of Templemichael Church (St. John's C. of I., Church St., Longford Town). John Armstrong (another settler) married Catherine Forbes there.
Additional information - Surnames - F - Forbes. Says Edward's age at death in 1870 was "about 100" which was not correct. Suggests Catherine Forbes, wife of John Armstrong was probably sister of Edward and Alexander. Mentions baptism of John, son of Alexander Forbes and Elizabeth Clarke, January 1817 at Templemichael.
Correspondence from or about settlers. Collection of correspondence is in National Archives at Kew. Some transcriptions are in Cape Archives CO 6138. There are some transcriptions online at wa.amu.edu.pl/1820settlers_petition_letters/start
Correspondence includes 2 letters written from Cobh, Cork by some settlers from Longford while they were waiting to find out if they could sail and becoming desperate. One is by John Armstrong, possible brother-in-law of Alexander and Edward Forbes and a follow-up letter a couple of weeks later from Ed. Forbes and John and Laurence Armstrong "after selling our small places …".

Sorry if there are any mistakes above. I can't go back and correct them or I'll lose it.
Ang may know all the above.

Alexander was killed in S. Africa.
Cowban

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 October 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Very interesting Thank you very much for the information :) Please don't worry about mistakes or spelling as the links truly help and are most welcome :)

Well this part was sad "At this stage the Settlers are still not aware that they had in fact been brought into the country to act as a human buffer between the Xhosa and the Boers!
https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/index.php/articles-2/1820-history

Ang

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 October 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Some information about the family:

Trees and timelines on Geni website for Edward Forbes and Alexander Forbes.
www.southafricansettlers.com/?cat=16&paged=35

I don't know how accurate information is on either site. 2 men named Alexander Forbes are listed on the South African settlers' site, 1 with a birth year 1772 and the other 1800. I assume the younger one is the subject of this enquiry. Who was the older one? He had a wife Jane.
Cowban

Offline Ang Gks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 October 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
They are one in the same person, just not sure why 1800 as all the information I have leads more to 1792. It says he was 27 when he arrived in the Cape in 1820. which would be 1792 rather than 1800 as he would then only then be 20. And also the Children, Spouse and parents are the same.

His wife was Jane Thomas.

His daughter Maria Forbes (Married Holder) - Leading to me :)

His Mother Jane Williams

Father Alexander Forbes (B:1750)

His Brother Edward had a Son Alexander