Author Topic: Guinnane and Lyons 0f Kilcurrish  (Read 11875 times)

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guinnane and Lyons 0f Kilcurrish
« on: Monday 16 November 09 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information regarding Anne Guinnane, born circa 1908, and possible siblings. Anne was residing with her uncle Michael Lyons and grandmother Margaret Lyons in Kilcurrish in 1911. Any information would be much appreciated. 
                                                     Maellen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guinnane and Lyons 0f Kilcurrish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
You can search index to civil registration to get the details you need for ordering her birth certificate which should list both parents (unless illegitimate) as well as exact date and place of birth.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
The census is a record of people in a particular household on 1 night so she might just have been staying with relatives that night and her parents will be not to far away.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sooheen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
 MARGARET LYONS daughter of Michael Lyons and Margaret Fitzgibbon was born 23 Jun 1868 in Kilcurrish Fountain Ennis.  She married MICHAEL GUINANE 19 Jul 1899.  He died in Ballyduffmore Kilnamona Co Clare.

Children of MARGARET LYONS and MICHAEL GUINANE are:
   MARY GUINANE, b. 06 Jun 1900; m. M COTTER, 14 Feb 1926.
   MARGARET GUINANE, b. 06 Nov 1904; m. J O'KEEFFE.
   MARTIN GUINANE, b. 06 Nov 1904; m. MARY HEGARTY, 17 Mar 1933.
   ANNE GUINANE, b. 01 Aug 1907; m. ? WHELAN.

Offline MurrayGinnane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shaun Francis Guinnane from Kilkee, Clare to New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is researching the GUINNANE surname from County Clare, I have found a "loose end" in Mangere Cemetery, Auckland, New Zealand. 
I would like to place him either in or out of my family tree, --- and someone else may be wondering what happened to him?

SHAUN FRANCIS GUINNANE (officially miss-spelled SHUAN in NZ BDM !!!) apparently lived as a bachelor carpenter in South Auckland, NZ from about the mid-1950s, until he died on JULY 22nd 1984, aged 61. 
His headstone refers to 'Family in Ireland & Australia' -- perhaps he stopped off in Australia first?   A fare-paid, 'assisted immigrant'?     
It seems he may have been born in or near Kilkee, Co.Clare around 22nd May 1923.  There are still several Guinnanes living in Kilkee / Donnoughboy.

Kilkee is about 9 miles north of Rahona East, Carrigaholt where my Ginnanes come from. 
There was a Sean Guinnane playing GAA football for Dalcassians & in Ennis, Clare around 1941 to 1952 -- perhaps him?
GINNANE , GUINNANE, GUINANE, GINANE, GUINANNE of Rahona East, Carrigaholt, Co.Clare;   or of Coney Island, or Fergus River areas.
CONNOR MURRAY of Rahona East;  
Mac an Gowan or Guinane / Ginnane / Genane / Gaynor / Ghabhainn / Smith of Borrisokane, north west Co.Tipperary [before 1650].
Hanley from Kildorrery, Co.Cork; Downey from Shraharla, Co.Limerick. 
Deamer, Lane, Manning from Hitchin, Hertfordshire. 
Peter Nils Harder from Naestved, Sjaelland, Denmark [ and later Westport, NZ].

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't see to be a birth registration in Ireland under that name- since N.Z. place is listed first perhaps that's where he was actually born?
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MurrayGinnane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shaun Francis Guinnane of NEW ZEALAND & KILKEE
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the help & interest. 

Otara, NZ is where Shaun was living at the time of his death.
He appears on the NZ Electoral Rolls there in the late 1950s.
I haven't found any other sign of his life.   He must have rented a flat, not owned one.
Very low-profile.

In NZ there is a free website www.BDMHistoricalRecords.DIA.Govt.nz/search 
where a restricted range of BDM = BirthsDeathsMarriages info is available to anyone. 

Shaun's death [miss-spelled as Shuan] shows up there for 1984, with a birth date of 12th MAY 1923 [ note the discrepancy to the headstone, where it is given as 22nd MAY 1923]. 
But not any other GUINNANE BDMs.

And the only other genuine GUINNANE in NZ history was a visiting priest who signed the Te Aroha goldfields Hot Spa Visitors' Book in 1884, and the local newspaper duly reported it (twice). 

www.PapersPast.NatLib.Govt.nz is our free digitised, searchable newspaper & magazine resource, for anyone interested.     

I am a bit spoiled, here in NZ, with my "GINNANE" extended-family.  There were ever only two or three dozen people at a time with the related group of surname spellings  --- and I know most of them, --- except this Shaun / Sean / Shuan.   
So it bugs me, a bit.      Quite a big bit, actually. 

So there are no other appearances of Guinnane in NZ history.

The undertaker at Shaun's funeral collected the information that he came to NZ about mid-1950s.

I am very keen to follow this up, if you can lead me to pastures greener & foreign fields?!?

Again, many thanks from me & from everyone else too, I'm sure. 
If these records survive for a hundred years, maybe the info will be of use to someone? 

---   Murray Michael Ginnane.  Born 1950 and still in Hamilton, N.Z.    Feb 13th 2011
GINNANE , GUINNANE, GUINANE, GINANE, GUINANNE of Rahona East, Carrigaholt, Co.Clare;   or of Coney Island, or Fergus River areas.
Mac an Gowan or Guinane / Ginnane / Genane / Gaynor / Ghabhainn / Smith of Borrisokane, north west Co.Tipperary [before 1650].

Offline Sooheen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have examined the 1911 Census of Clare Ireland and I found a Ginnane family in the parish of Querrin which is the next parish to Kilkee. Querrin is situated in the Loop Head peninsila of west Clare approx 30 miles from Ennis the county town. There are 2 variations on the spelling. Guinane and Ginnane. I am related to Michael Guinane. I think he may have been born in the parish of Rath which is about 10 miles north west of Ennis. I would be very surprised if Michael Guinane is related to Shaun Ginnane who died in New Zeland.

Offline MurrayGinnane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Guinnane / Ginnane / Guinane of Querrin & Kilkee, etc
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the note, 'Sooheen'.
I have transcribed the whole Baptism & Marriage Registers for Carrigaholt (which also covered Querrin, Cross & LoopHead, etc areas then) from 1852-1878. 

Would you like me to email you a copy?  Please 'PM = Personal Message' me, or look for my email in the Guestbook of www.Carrigaholt.net website.   

There were several Guinane / Ginnane, etc families in the area at that time, including yours at Querrin, and mine at Rahona East.

I am trying to separate them out & relate them to each other. 

Murray at Ginnane.co.nz

Offline vandammem

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
For: Murray at Ginnane

I would also be interested in a copy of you transcriptions of the Carragaholt and adjacent parishes in Co. Clare. You can send them to *

Matthias(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php