Author Topic: Roberts Family, Holyhead  (Read 3990 times)

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roberts Family, Holyhead
« on: Monday 16 November 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching my father-in-law's family. I've come to a bit of a dead end with his grand dad, whose name was John Reilly (c1860-June 1900). John was a merchant sailor who lived at 3 Oriel Street, Dublin. Some of the companies he worked for included the London, Midlands and Scottish Railways which ran the DunLaoghaire-Holyhead Mailboat Service (LMS), Palgrave Murphy Shipping and the City of Dublin Steamship Company. My father-in-law believes that his grand father had relatives in Holyhead called Roberts and has written me the following: "We also have cousins in Holyhead named Roberts. Mr. Roberts worked on the Mailboat Service and had two or three sons (1945), one of whom was a paratrooper who wa swounded by mortar fragments while serving in Holland. I think Mrs. Roberts was the cousin connection". I iknow this is a very long shot but do any of these details mean anything to readers of this board and can they relate them in any way to John Reilly. I'm finding it very difficult to find details of his seagoing employment at this end.