Author Topic: ship lost at sea  (Read 14227 times)

Offline Dangeresdave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ship lost at sea
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Goodevening to all, I have just been trying to find out about a ship called the Cordelia, from South Sheilds, and the commander was a man called John Fraser, I believe the ship sank on its maiden voyage,
   I have spent a few years on the Orkney isles and in exchange for a little job i did for a local man i was given a painting of a ship being the Cordelia, with the artist name and date on it and the Commanders name, the old gent that gave me the painting was a relative of the captain , the story goes old alberts wifes  nephews that was the artist being  John W B  Halcro,  and it was his father, and alberts wifes brother that was the captain,  I repaired a old sea chest for Albert and the painting was in the bottom of it in a old frame ,
I took the painting to be reframed and glazed to a local studio when they took the painting out of its frame there was 2 origional prints painted by JW Goggared, behind the backing boards , Belived to have been there for the duration of the Painting ,
I hope this might help some one out , the painting is know in the Durham area, and up for sale ,

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 July 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to know more...my 3xgreat grandfather was lost at sea on the Cordelia which sank in the Bay of Biscay in 1878. He was actually the captain then and called Robert Wilson. He sailed from Shields and was going to Escombrera. Do you have a picture or can you tell me where I could see it?
Ros
Howe, Worrell/Northumberland
Wilson, Armstrong, Spence/Northumberland
Cunningham, Appleby, Lindsley/Durham

Offline Dangeresdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 July 11 08:26 BST (UK) »

Hi Ros,
Yes you can see the painting thats no problem, i live in the Bishop Auckland area in Durham , where abouts are you ? i have made enquries at the south shields museum, then they have refered me to a place in Newcastle that has all the imformation about the ship, I dont know if anybody has looked into the ship owner, Robert Stoker? and the name Cordelia, A few yrs ago  i did a house refurbishment in Whiby belived to belong to Bram stoker the author of Dracular, he came from Ireland origianly, the dates and some of his novels could have a connection to the Cordelia? having seen some of his old documents I belive this could be a interesting path to look into,
Dave ,

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 July 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
only one small problem I live in the South East of England! Although I was born in Jarrow and my family hail from the North our paths have led us further south. Is it possible that you could attach a photo and send me a pm  letting me know the price as my dad in his 80's (direct descendant of captain wilson) would be really interested.
Ros

Offline Dangeresdave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 23 July 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
Goodmorning  ros,  Yes i will do that over the weekend , not sure what you mean about  " pm " and how you do it ?, I am interested  about what you say about your father being a direct decendant as the artist was the captains son ?, his name was John w b Harlcro,
Regards dave

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 July 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
To send a personal message (pm) you go to top of page where your log in name is and click on messages. There is a link saying new message. Click on it to send a message and a posting screen comes up. then put the person you are sending to e.g. skingers2 in the To box and type message.I have sent one to you so you should have a message to open.
Ros

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 23 July 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
I was researching a distant ancestor who died at sea in 1915, i always assumed he was a sailor died in the war, but after a bit of google searching i found all the info i was looking for on a Grimsby Trawler forum!
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 July 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,
Thanks for the info....my relative was on a sailing ship called Cordelia in 1878.
Ros