Author Topic: ship lost at sea  (Read 14218 times)

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ship lost at sea
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 July 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark
Took me a long time to find my man but now I have copies of ships logs( from Maritime History Archives, Newfoundland) and Newcastle.
Ros
Howe, Worrell/Northumberland
Wilson, Armstrong, Spence/Northumberland
Cunningham, Appleby, Lindsley/Durham

Offline skingers2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 July 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
"father being a direct decendant as the artist was the captains son ?, his name was John w b Harlcro,"

I am wondering if we are talking about the same ship... I got out the paperwork for Cordelia and she was registered in May 1867. My 3x ggrandad captained her in 1878, sailing for Escombrera and Carthagena and missing, presumed drowned on the voyage begun 19th September1878.  The Owner Robert Stoker was registered in Liverpool, though there was a William Stoker of Shields on board aged 13...cabin boy.All perished according to documents and belongings went down with the ship!15 souls in all died and from many different shores.
I think there have been a number of Cordelias....Ours was a sailing ship of 726tons and not HMS Cordelia which was a battleship.

I'd still be interested to see a photo of your painting.
Ros
Howe, Worrell/Northumberland
Wilson, Armstrong, Spence/Northumberland
Cunningham, Appleby, Lindsley/Durham

Offline Rosemary Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Fao Dangeresdave and  skinger2. Interested to find up if there was any follow up to the painting of ship Cordelia. Captain John Fraser was my GGF and Halcro is a family name too.

Offline Rosemary Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 May 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,  not sure if it is in order to add to your post which I realise was a long time ago now.  Tried to make contact earlier regarding  this as the master of Cordelia was my GGF John Fraser and the artist would in deed have been a relative too. I am aware of another painting of the ship so this might have been by same artist. Thank you for attention, Rosemary
Goodevening to all, I have just been trying to find out about a ship called the Cordelia, from South Sheilds, and the commander was a man called John Fraser, I believe the ship sank on its maiden voyage,
   I have spent a few years on the Orkney isles and in exchange for a little job i did for a local man i was given a painting of a ship being the Cordelia, with the artist name and date on it and the Commanders name, the old gent that gave me the painting was a relative of the captain , the story goes old alberts wifes  nephews that was the artist being  John W B  Halcro,  and it was his father, and alberts wifes brother that was the captain,  I repaired a old sea chest for Albert and the painting was in the bottom of it in a old frame ,
I took the painting to be reframed and glazed to a local studio when they took the painting out of its frame there was 2 origional prints painted by JW Goggared, behind the backing boards , Belived to have been there for the duration of the Painting ,
I hope this might help some one out , the painting is know in the Durham area, and up for sale ,
[/quote]