Author Topic: Hunting CHARLES BIRNIE  (Read 4351 times)

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunting CHARLES BIRNIE
« on: Tuesday 17 November 09 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify the Charles Birnie  who is my g. grandfather. They lived in the late 1880's around Macduff and its regions.

My grandmother was Margaret (aka Maggie & Margrt) Birnie.

Her parents are listed as Charles Birnie, Farm Servant, Silverhills and her mother as Ann (aka Annie) Gordon.

Maggie was born in 1887 and the information on her parents comes from her birth certificate. Maggie is listed on her certificate as illegitimate.

There seems to have been a plethora of Charles Birnies at that time but I have managed to get the identity down to two or three. Charles is not listed as deceased when Maggie married in 1911. Annie was born in 1853.

I just need the name of a relative or his age in 1887. Are there any registers of local inhabitants similar to our electoral rolls for 1887?

Can any one help please? I have been chewing at this one for months.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting CHARLES BIRNIE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you are going to get any closer than we did on www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,404046.0.html

I think from what we saw then, there was really only one possibility left by the time we finished! In terms of getting definitive proof - that in most cases is impossible. There are no registers as you describe that will help you pin down precise details for Charles Binnie in 1887 whilst he was at Silverhills.

Outside chance that there may be something in the Kirk Session minutes at that time regarding the illegitimate birth of Maggie, with some form of censure for the parents. Not sure what records there are for this time and I am guessing, like many of these historical records, that they may be held at The Scottish National Archives www.nas.gov.uk which will require a personal look up. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this can advice you.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Monica.

I did wonder why, if they had a child (Maggie), Charles and Annie never married. If this is the right Charles Birnie ( b.1851/2) then both were free to marry. There is another Charles Birnie, b. 1851 who is the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Birnie but I tend to think he is a red herring.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Many people had illegitimate children and then didn't marry - in this case, as you say, they look to not have gone on to marry anyone from what we have seen  :-\

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm just reading his father, Alexander's will. I have to read it again to make sure but Alexander changed his will the year before he died. He reduced the sum of £20 to each of his sons ( Alex jnr & Charles) to £5 and takes all interest in the Croft away from Charles in favour of his wife and daughter. It looks like a family bust up to me!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Useless fact from the National Archives  ;D £5 in 1880 would be worth £241.55 today  ::)
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
A result!

I contacted someone in Vancouver whose family tree came up when I googled Charles Birnie and, after they e mailed me back,  I have found my grandfather!

Charles Birnie, b. 2 March 1864 in 81 Manners Street, Macduff. He married Agnes Duncan in September 1887. The Marriage certificate gives his address as Silverhills, Gamrie and his occupation as Farm Servant. This matches exactly with Maggie's birth certificate, the illegitimate child with Annie Gordon, only a month earlier!At the time of his marriage he was 22 yeas old as was Agnes but Annie was 34 or 35 years old. Perhaps he was her toyboy!

My thoughts on the morality of this branch of the family are mixed to say the least but I am very pleased to have pinned him down once and for all.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Well blow me down...it was the younger cousin  ;D That is such a lucky break that the marriage took place when it did to be able to confirm his address, doesn't often happen that way!

Great result for you  :)

Offline sellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I just want to thank you, Monica, for all your tremendous help and support with this one. :)
Thankyou

Sheila
x