Author Topic: TOOLEY family  (Read 18782 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLEY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn ...

Had another look at my Handborough PRs:

Henry (buried 1848) would have been buried at Ss. Peter & Paul Church, Church Han(d)borough.

Despite the multitude of WOODWARD entries, I can find no record of a birth of Lydia WOODWARD (have looked from 1800 to 1830 inc.)!

A request for a lookup on the Oxfordshire Baptism Index (at the OFHS website - small charge) may find her, although it's only about 80% complete.

If you need any further information, let me know.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again ...

Just reread your last message and noted that Lydia was a gloveress - these were prolific in Woodstock (close to Handborough).  Might be somewhere to start looking for her ...

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 March 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just started tracing my family. I see on this string there i mention of a Henry and Elizabeth Tooley, (parents of William Tooley, baptised 1818). Has anyone got information about Elizabeth's and Henry's ancestors? If anyone has their family tree have you got an Elizabeth May Tooley born around 1890 in Birmingham.

Any help gratefully received

Cheers

Eric

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLEY family
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Lynn's (Classic) email address is currently not working at the moment but Dawn has managed to find a postal address so we will post her a letter to let her know of your new reply.

All the Best

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah

Offline Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,
I have Elizabeth May Tooley b1891 in Birmingham on one of my trees. Her parents were Alfred and Elizabeth(nee Hawley). I have her baptism and where she is on 1891,1901 and 1911 census.
I do not have any marriage or death details.
The family does link up with William and Lydia Tooley in Handborough, Oxfordshire via Nether Whitacre in Warwickshire.
Let me know if you need any of the above details or would like to share information.My interest is via Edwin Tooley who is Alfred's brother.
Best wishes, Moira

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Moira for your reply.

Elizabeth May Tooley married my Grandfather in 1912, (Frank Aston). Story has it that my Great Grandfather, (who was a chartered accountant), disapproved as he thought his son was marrying beneath himself. Mum said Elizabeth was a dance girl down a local theatre. I cannot find any evidence of that but Alfred, her dad, worked as a barman, so maybe the story has an element of truth to it. I cannot find out what happened to my grandmother. She and Frank got divorced and that's all i know. I think she was irish so maybe i need to contact someone who is an expert on the Birmingham irish community, (any ideas).

Do you have any details on your tree of ancestors further back than William amd Lydia, if so is there documentary evidence somewhere out there?  I don't know anything about Edwin as I have just started tracing my ancestors about 5 weeks ago.

Regards

Eric

Offline Jeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,
The Tooleys are one of the lines in my son-in-law's family and most of my research has been on Ancestry from where I have the census details and Warwickshire and Birmingham parish records.
I have not taken the family further back as this needs access to Oxfordshire records some of which are on this thread in reply to the original poster. Hopefully she will come back to you as she seems to have more information.
I can perhaps help if you wish to broaden your tree with siblings and their families. Do you have access to the census information or Birmingham records?
I am not aware of an Irish connection . They seem to be from the rural Midlands for several generations. Elizabeth' s grandfather James Henry Tooley born c1839, in Handborough, Oxon moved to Over Whitacre, Warwickshire before 1860 . On the census he is variously described as a carter or a farmer. Several of his sons moved to Birmingham including Alfred and Edwin.
As you say in 1911 Alfred is described as a barman , prior to this he is a billiard marker. Elizabeth Hawley's father was a dairyman. Edwin was a butcher. So I suppose an accountant could consider the family beneath him.
Let me know if you want the census details.
Best wishes, Moira

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Moira.

Yes any info re the Hawley connection would be great.

My mother thought they were Irish. Maybe if I can go back far enough they may have emigrated from Ireland during the 17th/18th century (i.e. during the potato famine possibly?).

Many thanks for your help

Eric