Author Topic: Horace Warner HASTINGS  (Read 11246 times)

Offline WDHSR

• RootsChat Extra
  • eager to help
    • View Profile
Re: Horace Warner HASTINGS
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 September 12 07:31 BST (UK) »
thanks Tony. oh man this is epically confusing  :-\

Horace Warner's mother was Maria Batchelor, not Maria Postlethwaite...

have just revisited Horace's death cert issued in Victoria. His parents are clearly Richard and Maria Postlethwaite

How peculiar. someone purporting to be Christopher Hastings has uploaded an extensive family tree on a popular and very expensive paysite. this tree shows the ancestry of Horace stretching back up to six more generations.
Hastings, Postlewhaite, Trellaggan, Gregory, Curlis, Reilly, Fewster, de-Young, Rashley/Rashleigh, Basset, Cornfoot

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 September 12 11:54 BST (UK) »

Horace Hastings, born Hailsham 1868, did not survive -

Horace HASTINGS

Date of death - OND 1868,  age O,  Hailsham 2b 41

Tony

quote author=WDHSR link=topic=420089.msg4635578#msg4635578 date=1347258689]

Previously posted -see reply#3

thanks Tony. oh man this is epically confusing  :-\

Horace Warner's mother was Maria Batchelor, not Maria Postlethwaite...

have just revisited Horace's death cert issued in Victoria. His parents are clearly Richard and Maria Postlethwaite

It looks like Maria Batchelor was illegit and was brought up as a Postlethwaite (if you look at 1851 census I posted Maria Warner -and husband Richard Warner- are with Edward and Amelia Postlethwaite -Maria is described as daughter - maybe Edward Postlethwaite was her father but failed to marry Amelia before maria's birth?)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:18 BST (UK) »

How peculiar. someone purporting to be Christopher Hastings has uploaded an extensive family tree on a popular and very expensive paysite. this tree shows the ancestry of Horace stretching back up to six more generations.

There are several trees on A*****y   which have Richard Warner & Maria Postlethwaite as parents of Horace - but the only source they give of Horace is his death reg - from that they then list his birth as Hailsham 1868 - but it seems that Horace died in infancy.

I think people have just copied trees and not done the research themselves

This happens very often. I had a lady contact me who said she was part of my family line - I cross questioned her and it was "Yes that's my great grandfather etc) I sent her a lot of my research -done over a 40 year period - I received a reply - thank you so much -I only started researching a week ago and I have all this information -my family will be so impressed - by the way my family are all from Scotland -so I have changed the p.o.b. on all members of your tree - and that makes them fit!!! I have not found any members of that line b. Scotland - so there is a bogus tree which keeps appearing on various sites and I keep correcting!!

It happens so often - so be aware

I've just had a thought - Horace married Phoebe Smith -yet a marriage cert has yet to be found -maybe it is worth searching for a marriage of Horace Warner to Phoebe Smith??

Also as Richard Warner -Horace's father died fairly young -wonder if Maria remarried to a hastings ? Maybe worth checking out??
Ignore this last suggestion -it seems maria died a couple of years after Richard
Death reg freeBMD
Maria Warner
age 52
Sept qtr 1877
Brighton
2b 128

Suz

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline WDHSR

• RootsChat Extra
  • eager to help
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 September 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
investigations are going well. i believe the root cause of the confusion is how FreeBMD only goes back to 1837. This means the parents of someone born 1867 (Horace) may not be on there.

strange. there's yet another tree from a Chris Hastings...only the dates and some of the names don't match.
Hastings, Postlewhaite, Trellaggan, Gregory, Curlis, Reilly, Fewster, de-Young, Rashley/Rashleigh, Basset, Cornfoot

Offline WDHSR

• RootsChat Extra
  • eager to help
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 27 September 12 02:15 BST (UK) »
New information. There's a record of a H. Hastings arriving in Sydney aboard "Costa Rica Packet" originating in Liverpool. If this is Horace it suggests he may have been born on the western side of the english isle.

In that era, the USA was by far the largest source of whaling ships bound for the Southern Hemisphere. Perhaps there's an American connection as well. (Update: I have found a record of this ship leaving Eureka, California Goldfields port, two years prior)

Offline bob1066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on Horace Warner Hastings, who l believe was born in Brighton in 1867. Horace moved to Australia some time between 1867 and the turn of the century and died in Melbourne, Victoria on the 6th July 1934 aged 67 years.

Horace is my great grandfather on my fathers side. He married Pheobe Smith (unconfirmed) and together, they had eleven childen. Six boys and five girls. I'm particularly keen to find out the names of Horace's parents.

Cheers

Christopher Hastings   ;D
I believe this man is my paternal grandfather, who I never met. I may be able to add a bit of flesh to these names and dates.

I always had much less contact with my father's side of the family than my mother's; however not long ago a cousin of mine told me some interesting snippets that she had learned from various members of the clan. Among these:

- He apparently told her father (my uncle Alf) on his deathbed that his original name was not Hastings, but Postlethwaite.

- The reason he changed his name, and probably the reason for emigrating to Australia, was a family scandal. It seems a family member drowned in a boating accident and he was blamed for the death.

- The reason for the name "Hastings" is unclear, but he probably simply chose it after the name of the town. (He chose well; I like it much better than "Postlethwaite".)

I think my cousin said Horace met Phoebe Smith (my paternal grandmother) on the waterfront at Adelaide. I never met her either, but from all accounts she was quite a character. I also think I heard at some stage that Horace and Phoebe were not actually legally married, or if they were it was only quite late in the piece. The family settled in Melbourne and moved house quite a lot around the working class suburbs of Melbourne, but seem to have spent most of the time in Collingwood, at that time the definitive working class suburb, though now very much gentrified. The eleven children came in two clusters with quite a few years between the two, hence many of my cousins are much older than myself. Two of the eleven must have died quite young, as I was only ever aware of nine in my father's family.

I remember hearing that Warner was under consideration when choosing my name, but for one reason or another I ended up as Robert instead.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 March 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Having read through this confusing thread this seems to be the scenario for anyone else coming across it:

Maria Batchelor bc.1826 London (age varies a little in census'), dau. of Amelia Bachelor bc.1809 St. Clement, London (from 1871 census).

Edmund (not Edward) Postlethwaite married (1) Jane Trelfer 23/9/1828 Brighton, Sussex (by whom he had a son Edmund bc.1829 Brighton) and then as a widower to (2) Amelia Buckley Bachelor 5/11/1832 Littlehampton.   Seems pretty clear that Edmund was not the father of Maria Bachelor only stepfather.   In 1841 she is listed as last with the Postlethwaites and shown as 15 and Maria Bachelor.

Maria Batchelor married Richard Warner 1849 Brighton.  Births Index shows their son Horace Warner was reg'd June 1862 Brighton (GRO index shows mothers name as Batchelor).

So, whilst Horace confessed that his surname was not really Hastings but Postlethwaite this was not true.   His true surname was Warner, father Richard Warner, and his mother Maria Batchelor (whose mother Amelia had married Edmund Postlethwaite in 1832).    Edmund (not Edward as previously referred to) Postlethwaite died December qtr.1854 Brighton aged 47 (per GRO Index).

Hope this makes things clear although he was some 5 years older than his death in Australia would indicate and he appears to have gone to Australia sometime between 1881 and 1891.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 March 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Just a little more confusion

was Maria Bachelor m Postlethwaite m Warner 's mother also illegit?

Parish register image
Baptism at the Workhouse Lambeth
Amelia daughter of George Buckley & Jemima Batchelor
b 28 May 1808
baptism 7 Aug 1808

Suz

Offline bob1066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 March 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that summary Annette. My cousin will be interested to know. So am I, obviously.

Warner is a name I could happily live with, either as a given name or as a surname.