Author Topic: James Leander Cathcart  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Shawbrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Leander Cathcart
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about James Leander Cathcart, he was born 16th March 1800 in Ireland. He trained as a barrister in Dublin, but left for England in the 1820s to become an actor. I have a census record for 1841 with his first wife and a census record for 1851 and 1861 with his second wife. He passed away in Manchester, England in the early hours of 1st January 1866.
I am looking for information while he lived in Ireland, who his parents were etc.

This is Not the James Leander Cathcart fro America who was everything from a slave to a diplomat.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Leander Cathcart
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
My searches are for Cathcarts too and I've come across James Leander often in the Free Records Online.  He is variously described as a Tragedian, Actor, Comedian and you will find many references in familysearch.org, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 June 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
hi Shawbrook, in case you want to use the PM system it doesn’t operate until you have made 3 messages on the website.   I have read with interest the various  contributions inc your own ten years ago on a Cathcart topic at  https://www.ancestry.co.uk.   I went searching for Leander which has Finland/Sweden connection, with the earliest English location Dinton Wiltshire about 35 miles NW of Southampton Port in 1745.  I could find no irish connection at this time. because of its rarity I stated to think your James b1800 must be named either in honour of a famous named person like Nelson or in some form of family connection. examples a wifes name or perhaps an uncle etc  I was named after my uncle. so that really registered.  The previous contributions on ancestry all missed generations.  I tried various sources in Fermanagh Wikipedia gives with sources Monea Castle is situated where a Maguire castle would have been based prior to the Plantation and a crannog is still visible. Building was started in 1616 by the Rector of Devenish, the Reverend Malcolm Hamilton. It had a bawn built later, in 1622, shortly before Hamilton was promoted to become Archbishop of Cashel in 1623. In the Irish Rebellion of 1641 it was attacked by Rory Maguire, who "slew and murthered eight Protestants" here. In 1688 it was occupied by Gustav Hamilton, the Governor of Enniskillen, who died in 1691. His wife and children continued to live at Monea, but had to sell the estate in 1704. A few decades later the castle was gutted by fire and subsequently abandoned. I then decided to find out more about James Leander Cathcart b. Jun 1767  Mount Murragh, County Westmeath. His daughter J H Newkirk 1899 compiled a book saying she was named after her father so J stands for James. but doesn’t explain the H.    In the book are photos of pictures of James Leander Cathcart and Jane B Cathcart his wife .    The book  title  is The captives -James Leander Cathcart -Eleven yrs a prisoner in Algiers. Information in the book made a  draft family tree
1. Col. Gabriel Cathcart b Renfrew, Scotland, left Scotland 1641 with  the Rev Malcolm Hamilton later Bishop of Cashel .possibly even Archbishop of Cashel  m Annie Hamilton Malcolm’s daughter   The Hamiltons lived at some time at Monea Castle, Fermanagh, 7 miles NW from Enniskillen.
children 11 sons and several daughters. 6 sons & father died Aughrim 1691 leaving the only named child
1. 12. Malcolm Cathcart lived until 116 yrs old, survived Aughrim 1691 m Mary Caldwell dau of Sir James Caldwell.
children
1. 12.1.  James Cathcart Capt british Army  [James grandfather] d 1745 m the neice of Andrew Wilson founder of Wilsons Hospital
children
1. 12.1.1.  Malcolm Hamilton Cathcart  [James father] b 1736 Persfield West Meath m Miss Humphreys dau of Edward Humphrey of Dublin.   Who was he?  influential for barristers
children
1. 12.1.1.1.  Rolleston Nassau Cathcart b 22 Sept 1763 Mount Murragh, County Westmeath
1. 12.1.1.2. James Leander Cathcart b. 1 Jun 1767  Mount Murragh, County Westmeath placed in the care of Capt John Cathcart then when aged 17 became prisoner in Algiers? released aged 28 about 1890-2  m 5th June 1798 in America Jane B Woodside dau of Capt John Woodside of the revolution army
children of 12 only three were born in US in no particular order of interest
1. 12.1.1.2.1. Eliza Woodside Cathcart b Tripoli >1805
1. 12.1.1.2.2. Amelia Humphries Cathcart b >1805
1. 12.1.1.2.3. George Cathcart b >1805 Leghorn
1. 12.1.1.2.4. Latimer Cathcart b >1805 Leghorn
1. 12.1.1.2.5. Mary Anne Cathcart b >1805 Leghorn
1. 12.1.1.2.6. James Leander Cathcart b 31 Jan 1807
1. 12.1.1.2.7. Charles William Cathcart b Maderia after 1807
1. 12.1.1.2.8. Jane Blancker Cathcart b Maderia after 1807
1. 12.1.1.2.9. John Philadelpus Cathcart b Maderia after 1807
1. 12.1.1.2.10. Henry Nassau Cathcart b Cadiz
1. 12.1.1.2.11. Edward Preble Cathcart b Georgetown D C.
1. 12.1.1.2.12. Thomas Jefferson Cathcart b Washington D C
The continuing choice of second first names is very unusual.  eccentric perhaps

So could James Leander Cathcart b 1800 fit into this tree ? compared to much oral history recordedd in ancestry I think its possible the two merge.  How did he become a barrister in Dublin? Did he have a benefactor? a family one. or perhaps he joined a solicitors office first or afterwards Did he take a law degree at Trinity College Dublin?  eg Alumni dublinenses: 1924 or earlier.  I found this one off, by accident in a book review Cathcart, Carleton b 1803 Co Fermanagh, BA 1826-31 I am unable to go to a big library so I am hoping you or somebody can check JLC out it’s the only proof of him being in Dublin likely other than a street directory . I don’t know enough of Dublin street directories my two working backwards are Thoms 1844, then
Dublin almanac and general register of Ireland ..Pettigrew and Oulton's Dublin  started 1834, then unknown to me.   Belfast had little one 1805 etc a big one by 1819 so surely Dublin has something similar?

end of part 1 
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 June 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
continued  Ian Nelson with thanks triggered this part showing generations of comedians.
The only proof of a James Cathcart b Ireland a comedian, who might be him is in the England Census 1841 where the detail aged 40 shows and birthplace just an I for Ireland.BUT he is sharing with a Rolleston Cathcart aged 9   
1841 England leeds census
James Cathcart  aged 40 comedian when and where did he die
a James L Cathcart d Chorlton Lancashire march  qter 1866 see www.freebmd.org.uk/

m 1. >1832  Frances Cathcart nee ?  b~1806 aged 35
residence  commercial court, Brig gate Leeds in 1841
children
1. James T Cathcart b 1831 Gosport Hamps later residence Old Chapel Row St Kentish Town Pancras.  in 1861 Princess Place Lambeth recheck? Elizabeth kerridge comedian? b Sussex 1834, also his motherinlaw Lucy Kerridge Owner of houses in 1890 still m Elizabeth Middlesex has a son comedian Ernest b 1867,another son William [G] m lambeth 1883 stage manager two servants etc
2. Frances Cathcart b 1834
3. Jane Cathcart b 1839
4. Victoria Jane Cathcart b 1842 Yorkshire appears in 1861 census
sharing house with
Rolleston {G} Cathcart b 1832 Chichester Hampshire in 1851 census an actor  a possible relative see 1. 12.1.1.1.  Rolleston Nassau Cathcart b 22 Sept 1763

m 2. . >1848  Elizabeth Cathcart nee ?  b 1831 Liverpool source 1861 census
residence Clayton Street Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland
children
Helen Cathcart b1848 Liverpool
Robert Cathcart b1856 Preston www.freebmd.org.uk/ m? 1884 Chorlton  www.freebmd.org.uk/    Phoebe Mole or Martha Jane Poppleton
Kate b Cathcart 1860 Nottingham

sorry rushed starting to make mistakes
worldwide

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 19 13:26 BST (UK) »

children
1. 12.1.1.  Malcolm Hamilton Cathcart  [James father] b 1736 Persfield West Meath m Miss Humphreys dau of Edward Humphrey of Dublin.   Who was he?  influential for barristers
children

Papers relating to a marriage settlement, Malcolm Cathcart and Elizabeth Humfrey, July 1757, partnership agreement, 1802, indenture of apprenticeship to G. L. Cathcart, solicitor, 1848

Dublin: Public Record Office, M.5444 (1-3)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
hallmark, Thank you very much for both replies. Having spent 15 minutes last night and again this morning online searching for M5444 etc to no avail, for this entry in the National Archives, first trying all words etc and gradually all individual words . I did find more possible Cathcart and Humfrey but not the right one, even the number.  Please advise me how you found it.

I would add your quote ‘Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.’ thats painfully but happily true today.and then the other quote  ‘Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.’  So true, as I was taught, in 1960 by an unqualified Librarian Jimmy Vitty in Belfast when I was 25, & am now 84 doing my sole hobby in need of a reboot or many not possible visits to the NAI which I sense you must visit daily or even perhaps live in !

its getting closer to connecting a line of irish comedians back to Ireland, but not quite there yet, thanks for joining in. The quality of my life both in Belfast and now in England has been expanded starting with the stage irish and TV irish comedians. My father born Donegal, made serious by wars could contain a belly laugh and facial smile until he started to shake all over and then he let it all out!
worldwide

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 19 14:07 BST (UK) »
I've been trawling through my pc collection of the past ten years and stumbled upon these Irish Cathcarts, mostly Nassau and Relatives but including Leander and others, whilst I have been hunting my ancestor James Cathcart of Kendal.  Hope this helps, I have more, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 July 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
Can't believe it, the attachments didn't go, try again...