Author Topic: john lloyd/hannah dyke and thomas evans/elizabeth morris  (Read 11669 times)

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: john lloyd/hannah dyke and thomas evans/elizabeth morris
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 September 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayzee
It's always good to find more info about the past. Elizabeth Evans b.1841 was my g-g-grandmother. Do you know anything of her husband William Williams? I was trying to find out when Bwlchgwyn farm came into my family - I assume it's through the Williams side.
I don't have much on Thomas Evans apart from his parents' names, so anything else would be of interest.
Many thanks, Kate

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 September 06 21:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't know much at all about William Williams but his father was Maurice Williams & he was at Cochydwst, Llanvihangel Heligan in 1841 with his wife & children. Maurice/Morris was born about 1806 so the Edward who Sharon says was at Bwlchgwyn could have been an Uncle of William I suppose, although williams is an extremely common name. It might be worth checking to see if Edward left a will. However I would have thought that if Edward had owned Bwlchgwyn he would probably have left it to one of his own children & if he had left a farm to a nephew, that nephew would probably have named a son Edward! So I vote that it is very unlikely. If the farm is still in the family perhaps you could consult the deeds. I know that in many areas deeds are being replaced by simple peices of paper & as a result the history of these farms is being lost, so if you have any contact with the current owners I would suggest a viewing asap! Our deeds were very interesting giving details of change of ownership & prices paid. I would think this would give you a very clear picture.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi - Bwlchgwyn is still in the family with a distant cousin, I believe. I'm in Scotland so checking on deeds, wills etc is a bit of a problem.  May have to make another trip south.
Details of "the Thomas Evans affair" would be interesting - gossip always is, even if it's nearly 200 years old!!
Best wishes, Kate

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Shame about the deeds. Funnily enough I'm in Wales & need to visit Scotland whilst your in Scotland & need to visit Wales, how mad is that? Have you visited this area at all during your research? How exactly do you descend from Elizabeth?
        When Thomas' wife Elizabeth died he was 71 years old but 3 years later he married Ann Vaughan who was then 46 years ( his eldest daughter your Elizabeth was just 4 years younger) whilst he of course was now 74! Anyway Thomas was a wealthy farmer & built a brand new village shop but fell off the scaffolding during the construction & died 4 weeks later of a compound fracture of the tibia, blood poisoning & bed sores
      Although he left his land to his 7 surviving children (your Elizabeth had died the previous year), the will stated that they had to pay his new widow £10 per annum for the rest of her life and that she should have the rent from 2 farms and also 2 cows, a colt & all other effects belonging to him. As she was a similar age to his children, the £10 per annum was infact a lifetime for them as although I only have the death dates for 5 of the surviving children, Ann outlived 4 of them!
     Needless to say when I visited my grandparents almost 100 years later, they hated me buying sweets at the local shop (which was still run by Ann's descendants) but I didn't  know why until I started researching my family history. Sadly by this time my grandparents were dead so I had no chance to ask them about it at all.

Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi  Thanks for the interesting insight into the family's past - some grudges really do last!
Elizabeth Evans married William Williams in 1865, had a daughter Elizabeth in 1866; she married John Probert of Disserth in 1887 and their third child Clara Elizabeth was my grandmother. She married Pryse Evans of St Harmon in 1914. Elizabeth Williams, Clara Probert and my father were all born at Bwlchgwyn. We spent many holidays as children with grandparents in Kerry and visited Bwlchgwyn many times. We returned three years ago to scatter my father's ashes there.  I haven't done any research in Wales - it's all been on the net, but I think I'm now approaching the limit of what can been done that way.
Kate

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
How far back have you got with William Williams? Although I have not done any research into the Williams family myself, I do have a tree that was sent to me (during my Evans research some years ago) which has great detail of the Williams family. I would be happy to send you details but would have to contact the person who drew it up to ask her permission. However if you already have detail of William's maternal grandparents there is probably little of interest in it for you.

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 September 06 12:53 BST (UK) »
All I know of William Williams is that his parents were Maurice/Morris Williams and Naomi Price.  Any other info would be most welcome, as I thought I had reached a dead end.
Thanks, Kate

Offline taffysboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've traced my family back to 1410 and the famil you reference in Uper bwlch farm is were my Great grandfather Theophilus lived. I have mass of information that will be of interest to you I'm sure.

Taffysboy

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 January 12 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taffysboy

Any info you have would be gratefully received.  My email is *

Thanks, Kathryn

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php