Author Topic: EADES - Bromsgrove  (Read 10320 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: EADES - Bromsgrove
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 04:08 BST (UK) »
I just had to throw this in.
Josiah Eades born Birminham c1739 married Elizabeth Kendal 27th April 1761 at Harborne,Staffs and they had Joaeph Eades born c1750 Birmingham ... birth detail not found.
Joseph fits into my Australian family tree as below;

Joseph enlisted as a private in the NSW Corp on 25 June 1789 and embarked on the transport  ship "Surprize" on 13 November 1789 with his wife Catherine, and three young children, Ann, May & Joseph, arriving in Sydney on 28 June 1790.
The family had been living at Birmingham the previous year. A daughter born to the couple in the colony on 4 December 1792 was baptised Elizabeth on the 26 December 1792. Joseph Eades was granted 25 acres at Petersham Hill on 3 December 1794 as confirmed by his mention on a list of all grants and leases of land registered in the Colonial Secretary's office. The land was probably sold soon afterwards (it was offered for sale by Simeon Lord in August 1804). Another daughter born in May 1795 was baptised Viana Brakenrig Eades at Sydney on 25 December 1795.

Joseph Eades was buried at Sydney on 24 January 1796 aged 27 years, having drowned in Sydney Harbour the day before. Collins wrote that he had fallen from a rock into the water while cutting rushes for a thatched roof of the hut in which he lived with his wife and five small children. Collins wrote that he was "a quiet man and a good soldier". see  "The Second Fleet, Britain's Grim Convict Armada of 1790" by Michael Flynn 1993 p257.

So what led Joseph to join the police corps bound for Australia?. It seems his time might well have been spent in America if it weren't for the American War of Independence. Thus the war altered the course of history for his descendants-to-be in Australia.

To explain. in the same book there is a note that Collins thought that Joseph Eades may have been the man of the same name sentenced at the Old Bailey to 3 years hard labour on the hulks and discharged from the Thames hulk "Justitia" on 12 June 1787, some details contributed by C.Mavin & N.Latta whose research identified the Eades family baptisms in England.

A letter from Julie Lockman contains the following from another Eades researcher.
"Joseph Eades was convicted in England at the Middlesex Sessions for burglary in the dwelling house of John Smith, and stealing a gelding valued at 23 guineas. For this he received the death sentence, commuted to 14 years deportation to America. The crime was committed 23 January 1786. Because of the War of Independence in America, he served some time, three odd years in limbo on the prison hulk 'Justinia' and was discharged to join the NSW Corps...enlisted by Captain Hill".

From details of the Old Bailey Sessions themselves, it seems Joseph's crimes of stealing occured on the night of 10 July 1782, and a 'gracious pardon' from death by His Majesty on 11 September 1782 was 'on the annexed condition' of 'being transported to America for fourteen years from the time of their respective respites.'

In some cases as indeed may have occurred for Joseph, an original sentence is withdrawn because the prisoner agreed to serve, or a defendant who has been sentenced to death was pardoned on condition of service. After spending three years aboard a hulk, joining such service in the guise of the Police Corps headed for Australia might well have been an opportune moment for Joseph to lead his family away from England to a different life in a foreign land.

Joseph may have previously married Elizabeth Smith on 27 December 1778 in Aston Juxta Burmingham. Warwickshire England. This marriage has not been proven however and no children can be found in the IGI for this couple.

Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
My husband is related to the Laugher family in Bromsgrove & we saw the sad story of Harriet Laugher & her step daughter Sarah Ann Broomfield on the British Newspaper Archive site last night. Having spent an interesting few hours researching the family today on line - a click onto Roots chat earlier could have saved me time!!
I believe that Samuel Laugher had a previous marriage to Jane ?Franks and that Harriet was his second wife (20 years age difference).
I believe that Harriet had a sister was called Emma and was married to a Luke Dipple (another name of my husbands family - ?any connection); a sister Alice (18340, a brother John (1838); and a sister Carolin (1840).

Hi,

A few years down the line and I can confirm Samuel did marry Jane FRANKS, 10th June 1832, at St. Johns, Bromsgrove.  They had 5 children, as above.  Then he had 3 more children before marrying Harriet, and 5 afterwards.

I've no DIPPLE or LAUGHER ancestors, but both lines nudge up against my HANDS tree.  Another example would be Mary INGRAM who married first Thomas LAUGHER in 1818 and then after he died in 1823, Richard PINFIELD in 1824.

I only have a portion of the huge and complex LAUGHER line.  Nothing on DIPPLE and shed loads on HANDS and PINFIELD.

Mike

HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline AlfredLaugher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Day,

Just reading all of this and I think I’ve found family.

First, I’m Alfred Laugher.

So, I’ve been doing research where my Great Grandfather was from.

His name was Sandy Laugher. Born in 1896.
His parents were Joseph Periecher (Pearcy?) and Jane(?) -Not sure her maiden name.

What I’m wondering is that, did Joseph emigrate to Canada after his late wife passed on?

Offline AlfredLaugher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:38 GMT (UK) »
What I want to know is where I come from. It’s been the longest mystery for us family. 
My late grandfather, Charles Laugher had no clue who his grandparents were.

My great Grandparents were Sandy Laugher. Married Harriett Mason.

Sandys parents were Joseph periecher (Pearcy?) and Jane. (Samuel and Harriet’s daughter?) 

According to my research, Joseph and Jane had 7 children.
Martha (married Thomas Farmer)
Catherine
Eva
Elice
Madeline
Francis
Sandy Laugher

Sandy Laugher served in World War 1.
We only have 2 photos of Sandy.

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 January 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alfred,

Please could you give some dates and places of marriage and births.

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 January 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Canadian connection to me Mike.

Laugher, Sandy, Norway House, enlisted at Norway House, 1 May 1915.
Occupation: Unknown. Military Service: Private, Reg. No. 235018, 203rd Overseas Bn., “Winnipeg Rifles”

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AlfredLaugher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 January 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
No dates available. I’ve just known that Sandy was born in 1896.

I had a hard time researching. I’ve found that Martha Farmer was his sister through his enlistment.
He states both parents weren’t alive before he was 20.

I found an old census at our local school with Martha Farmer (nee. pierecher)

That’s how I found out that Joseph and Jane were their parents.

Then researching more of Joseph and Jane, they had more children.

Jane should have been born in 1850/1851 as she listed her date of birth 50 in the 1901 census.

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 January 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure how this fits.

Samuel LAUGHER married Jane FRANKS 10 June 1832, Bromsgrove.
Their daughter, Jane, was the last of five children, born in the second quarter of 1849.  Her mum dies 20th January 1850.

Samuel's second marriage, to Harriet EADES, was on the 20th December 1859 in Bromsgrove.  As far as I know Harriet had eight children none of whom were called Jane.

My connection to the family is via Harriet's 5th child, Emily, who married James HANDS.
Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 January 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the 1861 census for Bromsgrove there were some extra children in the Samuel LAUGHER household.  (Remember Jane FRANKS died in 1850.)

John aged 9
Sarah Ann aged 4

Using FreeBMD there were births for a John EADES - Q4 1852 and Sarah Ann EADES Q3 1857.

Using the "All" selection feature there was also a Q2 birth 1854 and a Q3 death 1855 for a Caroline EADES.

Were these also Samuel's children?  Harriet had declared herself a Spinster at her marriage in 1859.

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;