Author Topic: BUTCHERS Copnor , 1934  (Read 1629 times)

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUTCHERS Copnor , 1934
« on: Thursday 19 November 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Before and up to the Recession  my father was the proprieter of a Butcher shop in Copnor. about 1934  give or take.  Apparently I was there and aged 2 -3 years. 

His name was Leonard  H G Morris.  Whether he actually had his name over the shop I do not know. I remember being told  grandfather bought it for him.  He lost the business when so many were out of work .  Mostly I know about this because apparently I nearly set the sofa on fire, upstairs,  as I was attempting to curl one of my sisters hairs with tongs that were heated up and I dropped them on the sofa as they were very hot. Fortunately, my grandmother (who told me this) was downstairs with my parents in the shop and smelt the smoke.

I digress. Would appreciate any help to locate where this shop was.

Offline cecily3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BUTCHERS Copnor , 1934
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Can you give an idea as to the general area the shop was in?There was a family butchers at the bottom of Baffins Road which is Copnor district.Our family went there for years.There was a Father & son who were there.

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Cecily.
I'm afraid I cannot be much more helpful with the location. No one alive today, except myself and older sister can remember this shop.  As grandfather bought the shop, maybe he did work in it. It was my father who was the actual butcher. 
I am 77 years now and by the time I was 3 or 3 1/2  my father had moved to Peel Common near Fareham as he no longer had the business.

Thank you for your interest. I appreciate that

Offline oh carolina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

me and my husband own a butchers shop in Copnor Rd....i know that in the 1940's a family called Anderson owned it....i'll try to find out the previous owners name. there used to be another butchers in Copnor Rd but that closed down approx 10/13 yrs ago. there is also another butchers in Chichester Rd,Copnor called Healeys though i don't know how long they've been there

Karen
kemp,moran,davis,ewell,harbin,morey,wallis,gray---portsmouth
eddy,hawes,beckerleg--cornwall
astle,astles--cheshire
moran,mcdonald,timmons--ireland
ewell,selwood--surrey

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Karen. It has been such a while since I posted the request, I had forgotten it. Passed it off I suspect as asking the impossible. But if you do have success in knowing who the previous owners were and it was under the Morris name, I will be over the moon.
Thank you for your kind offer.

April  nee Morris

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
There is the possibility that my husbands relative had a butchers shop in Copnor.
Coopers.  It was either Copnor, Cosham, Portsea or Portsmouth in general.
They were business people.  Evans (mr teezyweezy) had the hair dressers, Savage and also Coopers had butcher shops.  Marsh and Brown had a Green grocers and his gran owned houses and lock up garages which were all bombed during the 2nd WW.  And a habber dashers.

Marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet