Author Topic: Windrigg Kirk, Dalton, Dumfriesshire  (Read 31469 times)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windrigg Kirk, Dalton, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 November 09 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kathleen, akc and csc for all the brilliant information.

Kathleen - thank you for going to the trouble of investigating this for me, I would appreciate any info you find

akc - thanks for the whinyrigg tip, and the map,  it sounds promising.  My ggg grandmother was Ann Henderson, she married Robert Blyth and moved to Moffat.

csc - thanks for all the info on the Henderson family, apart from Ann I knew they had twins Betty and Janet and son Christopher but I hadn't found Richard and Thomas and it's great to have some info about their lives.

I'm going away now to absorb all the info

cheers

Jean  :)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 November 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
My uncle may well know if such a place existed (Whindrigg Kirk) - He is a local historian and has written books on Dalton and Hightae.

I will enquire this weekend and will post back the response.

I too, used to live in the area and believe the reference you are making to Whindrigg Kirk is the Old Dalton Kirk which is shown on the map aka posted.  There used to be more houses in the Dalton rural landscape and you may well have unearthed another.

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 November 09 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak

Thank you so much, I'll look forward to hearing from you again

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 November 09 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that Whiny Rig is near Dalton Kirk.  The village of Dalton has three churches and they are all within the village but this Whiny Rig that appears on the map looks as if its on the Hoddom Road.  If I can remember from my youth there was a ruin down near the river Annan at Murraythwaite Mill and this looks as if it could be it.  It will be nearer Kirklandrigg which is over a mile from Dalton. My parents farmed near Dalton and I was born and lived there for many years and knew the area very well and I am certain there is nothing in Dalton by the name of Whiny Rig.   It will be interesting to find out where it really is.

Kathleen

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 November 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »

It will be interesting to find out where it really is.

Yes I have to agree, from what everybody has been saying it does look like the place doesn't exist anymore so it could well be a ruin.  It's so good to be able to tap into local knowledge through rootschat.

Thank you again Kathleen

Jean

Offline balmoral2003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 November 09 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi PurpleKat

am very interested in your Mary Vivers....I have been researching this family from Annan for nearly two years but didn't know about Mary...Was her father Richard and her mother Elizabeth? Brothers William and Richard?

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 November 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi balmoral2003

Sorry as yet I have no other info on Mary Vivers, I hope that at some point when I'm in the Dumfries area I'll find time to investigate further.

Offline balmoral2003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 November 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Purple Kat

having looked into it a bit deeper, I am 99% certain Mary is Richard Vivers' daughter. He was farming Hill at least in 1774 (according to a memorial inscription of Mary's sister Jennet, who died that year, aged 19 years old. She was buried at the Annan Old Burial ground.) Didn't know about Mary, have 6 other siblings of her and their descendants. The spelling as "Veevors" kept her for me in the dark! Richard was also farming Murraythwaite at some point.

Have never posted on this forum before but it seems a very helpful, with a lot of local knowledge bunch of people. One of my aims is finding out more about Richard Vivers, b 1705 d 1790 buried in Annan. His memorial inscription says he hailed from Yorkshire. Would love to find out more about this family.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 November 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi balmoral2003

Thanks for the info, If I find out any more about Richard and can find a link with Mary I'll certainly let you know, you've given me a lead to follow although I don't think I'll progress much further looking for her by computer, it will be spring or summer before I visit the area again. 

I take it you are descended from Richard, which of his children is your ancestor? 

On the subject of Rootschat it is a great forum with lots of helpful people.  :)

Jean