Author Topic: Barrington Buckland, Somerset  (Read 20820 times)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Barrington Buckland, Somerset
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 February 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Well done bedfordshire boy for adding this information very interesting.

Where they were living was very much a Coal mining area ,maybe the reason they moved about was Richard worked in several mines as did later his sons and that could also explain why they went to Wales working in the Coal mines.
There were several coal mines in and around as a part of the Somerset coalfield, but these have all since closed.

When Richard & Delphine christened some of their children at Cameley  part of Temple Cloud  Bristol the church was likely St James.
 St James is now a redundant church in Cameley, Somerset. dating from the late 12th century.
It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.
The church was declared redundant on 1 January 1980, and was vested in the Trust on 18 March 1981

----------------

I think I can put up a good case for Delphi/Delphine/Philadelphia/Filly but the change to Dolleretta defeats me.

I found these bits on another site someone requesting help noted the name Dolleretta ( Shockton ) Parfrey :

Richard Parfrey  (1801-1879) was the son of Thomas Parfrey (1770-1847?) and Esther Purnell (1806-1889). He and Dolloretta had 9 children .

---------------------
I am a direct descendant of Richard Parfrey Elizabeth's brother.
Elizabeth's parents were Richard and Dolleretta (Shockton) Parfrey.  looking for information on the Parfrey Band, formed by Elizabeth's brothers, Henry, Joseph and Edward.
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 February 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
When Richard & Delphine christened some of their children at Cameley  part of Temple Cloud  Bristol the church was likely St James.

There is also St Barnabas in Temple Cloud?

By the way, Cameley and Temple Combe are in Somerset - NOT in Bristol! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 February 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  KGarrad : I should have been more correct.........remember though these records were made in 1800s the boundaries over the years did change

Cameley is a village and civil parish within the Chew Valley in Somerset in the Bath and North East Somerset Council area just off the A37 road. It is located 10 miles (16 km) from Bristol and Bath. The nearest town is Midsomer Norton, which is 5 miles (8 km) away. The parish includes the village of Temple Cloud.
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 February 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tiggi,
I am a direct descendant of Richard Parfrey Elizabeth's brother.
Elizabeth's parents were Richard and Dolleretta (Shockton) Parfrey.  looking for information on the Parfrey Band, formed by Elizabeth's brothers, Henry, Joseph and Edward.
Yes, this is the thread in which I became involved, only because, for some reason which escapes me, it was posted originally on the Cambs board which is one of the three county boards which I follow. I never look at Somerset.

All US trees show her as Dolleretta Shockton as a result, I think, of her daughter Elizabeth's 1917 death cert showing her as that. I looked at it and thought it was Shockland not Shockton, and that led me to Buckland and eventually to this thread. What surprised me though was that even in the 20th century there are horrible errors in documents. Really, Americans don't stand a chance of finding Delphi Buckland from Wiltshire when all they have is Dolleretta Stockton from Somerset!

But when I saw your interest in English Romanies in the US and the fact that this thread was about Dolleretta'a father I felt obliged to post! A delicious irony that a gypsy named Philadelphia from Wiltshire should have ended up in Pennsylvania!

Do you happen to know who Barrington Buckland's parents are?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 February 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Yes I am very interested in any families that went to America , I do not think people realize how many of our ancestors did go and settle there and agree there are a lot of errors in documents,but saying that the American system of adding information to death certificates as in parents -witnesses etc can be of great help even if sometimes the names can be strange.

The quick answer is no I do not know who  Barrington parents were?

Then also I have not be able to fathom the surname of Charlotte his spouse / so wondering now as many did like to use both parents surnames could it be Charlotte surname was Shockton ?
I do not know if anyone else has considered this........

According to Leonard Ing who wrote a booklet about  BUCKLAND/BUCKLEY NAMES
he states Abraham Barendon  Buckland as father of Prudence, ( sister of Delphine ) he was born towards end of 18th century children sometimes known as Barendons instead of Buckland.
So Barrington was maybe not his original name maybe again changed over time when written ?

There is so much confused information all over the place that does not help.....

Ing further says this Abraham Barendon was father to a Dimti Buckland & Mary Buckland

A Dimtri Buckland was husband to Lolly/Loli Smith who wintered around Swindon Wilts

Loli Smith being daughter of Alabon Smith & Mary Buckland

Now just to confuse more : a certain person E T says :
Alabon & Mary had a daughter Lavinia who had a daughter Leo became partner of George Green
Lavinia according to E T : partners were either a showman called White or Dimtri Buckland son of Marys brother Barrington ?

So Abraham son Dimtri is with a Lavinia  daughter of his sister ,this clears up that ..which makes sense 1st cousins wed.

So how does the older Dimtri with Loli connect to Bucklands?

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi David

Yes I am very interested in any families that went to America , I do not think people realize how many of our ancestors did go and settle there and agree there are a lot of errors in documents,but saying that the American system of adding information to death certificates as in parents -witnesses etc can be of great help even if sometimes the names can be strange.

The quick answer is no I do not know who  Barrington parents were for sure :
although I have found least 4 Timothy Bucklands

Timothy b 1754 -died 1856 -aged 102
Timothy  b 1774
Timothy  b 1798
Timothy b 1831

Barrington married Charlotte Buckland daughter of  Old Emanuel Buckland & Aquila Draper who wed in 1769

A Dimtri Buckland was husband to Lolly/Loli Smith who wintered around Swindon Wilts

Alabon & Mary had a daughter Lavinia who had a daughter Leo became partner of George Green
Lavinia according to E T : partners were either a showman called White or Dimtri Buckland son of Marys brother Barrington ?

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 February 14 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

The quick answer is no I do not know who  Barrington parents were?

According to Leonard Ing who wrote a booklet about  BUCKLAND/BUCKLEY NAMES
he states Abraham Barendon  Buckland as father of Prudence, ( sister of Delphine ) he was born towards end of 18th century children sometimes known as Barendons instead of Buckland.
So Barrington was maybe not his original name maybe again changed over time when written ?

There is so much confused information all over the place that does not help.....

Ing further says this Abraham Barendon was father to a Dimti Buckland & Mary Buckland

So Abraham son Dimtri is with a Lavinia  daughter of his sister ,this clears up that ..which makes sense 1st cousins wed.

So how does the older Dimtri with Loli connect to Bucklands?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 February 14 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tiggi. A pity that nothing seems to be known for sure about Barrington's parents. The only Buckland that I've looked at is Delphine, and she's enough of a mystery in herself.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 February 14 11:03 GMT (UK) »
hi David according to certain source ..... they state parents of Barrington Buckland  bapt 1774 Gloucestershire as a Timothy & Elizabeth

I did come across a record of a Timothy Buckland : who died 1836 Shinfield Berkshire aged 70
making him born 1766.....  ? Unsure if connected cannot find anything else about him.

22 Nov 1835 Parfery Parfery at Farmborough, Somerset (I wonder if this should have Purify Parfery?)

This would appear to be Richard  ( maybe did not like the name Purify?)who went to America with spouse Sarah Ann Vater - married 1858  Merthyr Tydfil