Author Topic: Translation of Coetia **complete**  (Read 24237 times)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation of Coetia **complete**
« on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have relatives who lived on a farm called Coetia Mawr, and i would really like to know what it means - i am not completly detached from the language and i know the mawr will be to do with it being big (it was a 100 acre farm which i am assuming was big but not massive) funnily enough my other ancestors went on to live in a property down the road called Coetiau Mawr Bach which sounds a bit of a contridiction but anyway any ideas greatfully recieved

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Coetia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
The Welsh I know could be written on a postage stamp ... but having searched the dictionary, I can only suggest that maybe Coetia is a proper name ?  Of a person, or a place perhaps ?? 

There is someone on Rootschat who can translate for you ... can't remember who though !   I'll have a think ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Tar, i did have a look at a dictionary my self first but they only hold 'modern' welsh, there are other properties i have seen called Coetia so can't help but think it means something
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Ireland Mccaffery

Online bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I can only suggest that maybe Coetia is a proper name ?  Of a person, or a place perhaps ?? 

Either that or a corruption of some sort; coed = wood  - is/isaf= lower/lesser.

Just a guess though, because it's not a word that I recognise as Welsh.  ???

edited 14.24 22nd Nov.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar that about Coed, and I have seen it spelt Coetiau (but assumed the u was a mistake) although the farm in question was above the town of Holywell in Flintshire so i shouldnt imagine it was lower. Although I am welsh i only know the language as second language and even that isnt great so i dont understand mutations and things unfortunately, i dont think i will ever grasp it  :'(
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
  • RIP Horace Chambers ~ 14.12.1916-12.06.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
From A History of Ancient Tenures of Land in North Wales and the Marches (thankyou Google Books!):

In the lordships of Hope and Mold one of the commonest generic names for fields is " coetie " or " coetia," evidently the same word that in old deeds and surveys is sometimes written " kwitie," and the name is not unknown in Bromfield. " Kwetkie " (a commoner term in Bromfield) points to " coed-gae " (wood-field), and indicates that a very large portion of the land now under the plough was once wooded. As a matter of fact, it occurs frequently in those areas known to have once contained large tracts of woodland.

The lordship of Bromfield, or Maelor Gymraeg (Welsh Maelor), in Denbighshire, is a border district of Wales, the position of which is perhaps sufficiently indicated by the statement that it contains the ancient parishes of Wrexham, Gresford, Ruabon, Marchwiel, Erbistock, the chapelry of Halt, and that portion of the parish of Bangor is y coed which lies on the left side of the Dee.
WRY - Chambers, Burgin, Green, Bradley, Jefferson, Bates, Widdowson, Vickers; DUR - Brennan; LKS - Conway, McGunnigal; KEN - Harrison; GLA - Thomas, Jones; STI - Conway; SSX - Coleman, Freeman, Jefferson; NTT - Jefferson, Chambers; DBY - Chambers, Smith; NBL - Harrison; TIP - Conway

Online bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Ahaaa!  ;D
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:52 GMT (UK) »
 By jove, she's got it !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Yep that makes sense thank you very much  ;D
Ireland Mccaffery