Author Topic: Baptism Record 1797 Scarborough  (Read 3140 times)

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptism Record 1797 Scarborough
« on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the baptisms for Scarborough?
Looking for the parents of Charlotte Cudbertson/Cuthbertson age 54yrs in the 1851 census Holy Trinity Hull, born Scarborough.
Thanking you in anticipation,
gogogadgetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Record 1797 Scarborough
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Charlotte was my 4x gt.grandmother.   She married John McDonald in Hull in 1813 (he was born there c. 1791).  I'd love to hear of any updates to your research.  Records suggest that her parents may have moved to Hull between the time of her birth and marriage as there are few (but still some) in Scarborough from around this time but more and more Cudbertsons in Hull.  IGI gives a marriage for William Cudbertson and Mary Moorhouse of Scarborough in 1799 and this is the only record (but is after her birth, of course) but the date may be out due to transcription error.
I haven't been able to find John Mac's father's birth details in Hull despite being married there- he was John, too.  There is a familiy of McDonalds from Whitby whose names coincide with John and Charlotte's childrens'.  Scarborough and Whitby being close may provide a connection- Charlotte still had some family in Scarborough as indicated by the census/BMD records.
Censuses indicate that another branch of the Cudbertsons moved to Barton on Humber in the early 19th C.
Hope this is of interest.
Jessop and McDonald of Hull.
Jessop, Kirklees area of West Riding.
Mann, Reece,Winn of Hull.
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, just seen your post. I am going to Scarborough on Sat, to look at the PR of St. Mary,s do  you still want a look up for Charlotte?
Best Wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Wincollee, There is a bapt. in Sculcoates, 10 Nov 1793 John s John & Ann Mcdonald, Mariner.
Is that yours?
Best Wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, again there is also a marriage for a John and Ann, Scucoates 1790
Best Wishes Clive

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Clive,
Many thanks for getting in touch.  A look up would be great if it's not inconvenient. 
  I have some have information from transcribed sources (parish records from the EYFHS) but didn't have the birth of John showing his father as a mariner- that really is a lead!  I'd found the marriage record for John Mac and Ann in 1791 with John as a weaver but this may be a red herring- it's a transcription and I haven't seen an original source.
  I can't find any births of relevant Parkers (as in Ann- John Mac Senior'wife) or McDonalds in Hull for around 1760-70 which would be the right date, indicating they're from elsewhere.
There's an Ann Parker born in Scalby (Scarboro')- father Isaac in 1760 on IGI which is a possible bearing in mind the Scarboro' connection with the Cudbertsons.
  I'd pencilled in the older John Mac (Ann (Parker)'s husband/Charlotte Cudbertson's father-in-law through John Mac junior) as possibly one of the Whitby McDonalds- father George and Isabel who were Scots.  Their children have very similar names to John (jnr) and Charlotte's children, especially on the male side.  Your mariner information adds weight to this theory as there's an obvious reason to move from Whitby to Hull and be connected with Scarborough  (I realise the dangers in theories based on IGI info!).
I look forward to any light you may be able to shed- Thanks again, David
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Clive;
In case I lost your with all that screed before- the relevant Scarborough queries are:
1. Charlotte Cudbertson born around 1797 in Scarboro'
2. Ann Parker born Scalby/Scarboro' around 1760

I suspect that Ann was to become Charlotte's mother-in-law when Charlotte married John McDonald (born c.1793); this John's father, also John, having married an Ann Parker around 1790/1.
Best wishes,
David
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, 24 April 1791, John x Mcdonald bach& weaver & Ann Parker spin. botp Wit George Parker, James Brook, Clerk, Charles Harrap
Yes in John,s bapt his father is listed as mariner but in the marriage weaver!
I will look on sat morn. and hopefully post Sat evening.
Ann also made her mark.
 Best wishes Clive

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 April 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, i had alook for Charlotte in St. Mary,s Scarborough 1790 -1800, nothink.
I lookea for Ann 1756 -1770 nothing
however there was; 8 Nov 1763 Thomas sJoseph & Susanna Parker; 4 Aug 1762 Joseph s Joseph & Susanna, 24 feb 1766 Sedman s Joseph & Susanna; 12 Jan 1768 Nicholas P. s Joseph & Susanna.
 marriages, 16 Jan 1759 Joseph Parker & Susanna Pape.
Best Wishes Clive