Author Topic: Petts Family - Brick Wall  (Read 16244 times)

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Petts Family - Brick Wall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello CJL

I live in Derbyshire and go to the RO. I am planning on going in the New Year for my own research. If you can narrow your research to the look ups you would like in the records I'll happily do that for you if you don't have any other luck by then.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »
CJL

There is quite a lot of information in the Derby Mercury about the Blackham family, during the 19th century in Belper, quite a lot about an Ambrose Blackham for instance, whether his yours I don't know, one of them in 1858 almost certainly was involved in a rail accident at Tapton. William and Edward Blackham, from Belper, were often in the newspaper for the wrong reason, and another was sent to penal servitude. I am sending you a PM showing how you can access the info-the site also has Leeds Mercury as well.

Tom

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

All the Blackhams in the Belper, Ambergate, Heage, Wirksworth area originate from the Ambrose born 1752
Staffordshire.

May I make a suggestion re search at Matlock, we have a date for an Inquest about 11.4.1821 (see my
previous post) for a man named Petts. If you look in "Quarter Sessions" there should be Expenses Claims
submitted by Coroners these usually give the place of inquest, and full name of victim.
Think the file you want is:-
Charnel Bateman Q/AF/8/8 1820 - 1832

However if you give the details re inquest in my previous post, Matlock should be able to assist with where
to find info.

If the person who was killed was a George Petts, there may be other info as to age, wife etc., with this
it may be possible to prove if he was the Father of George Petts Jnr born in Alderwasley abt 1821.
If so will save lots of searching through Parish Registers.

Regards
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 December 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
OK that's where I will start the search at the RO.

I am not planning on going until the New Year so let me know if anything changes before then (such as you don't need the info any more!) .I'll get back to you when I've been

Have a good Christmas

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Wow,

Thank you guys for all your input on my search for my elusive Petts origins in Derbyshire, all your help is very much appreciated.

Nelliedee,

Thank you so much for your very kind offer of looking for records at the records office.  I would very much like to take you up on your kind offer.  Any help which you can give me would be very greatly appreciated.   Other than the information which Spendlove as found regarding the inquest in 1821.  The only other information which I know of with any degree of certainty is that my George Petts was born in about 1821 in Alderwasley.

I look forward to hearing from you in the New Year.  Hope you have a very Happy Christmas.

Spendlove,

Thank you once again for the time and trouble you are taking to help me with my search for my Petts family.  Hopefully Nelliedee will be able to find some record at the record office which will point us in the right direction.  Thank you for your very helpful suggestions and if you have any more please keep them coming.

Tom,

Thank you for letting me know about the information in the Derby Mercury Newspaper regarding my Blackham line.  From the research I have done so far I do know that this line of my family tree contains some shall we say 'colourful characters.'   The one who was sent to penal servitude was the son of my Ambrose Blackham.

Once again thank you so much to all three of you for your interest in my post and also the time and trouble you are taking to help me.  It is very much appreciated, as will any further help or suggestions.

Very Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi CJL

Happy New Year

Just to reassure you I have not forgotten your look up. I don't know if you have been to the Matlock RO but it is up a VERY steep hill and I don't fancy tackling it in the current weather. Once it clears a bit I'll get on with it and let you know the outcome

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 10 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Nelliedee,

A very Happy New Year to you too.

Thank you for still remembering my request for more information regarding George Petts.

Unfortunately not living in the county I have never been able to visit Matlock RO but wouldn't expect anyone to be attempting to make any journey which isn't absolutely necessary in this atrocious weather which we are having at the moment.

Thank you for offering to still have a look for any records which might be held at Matlock when the weather clears up - lets hope for all of us that it is very soon!!!  Although the forecast is not too optimistic for the next few days.

Best Wishes
CJL

Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline nelliedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 January 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi cjl

I have been to the record office at last and found the following stuff - not quite what you hoped for I think but all I could find. I've included sources and the negative outcomes as I have found it helps stop repeated searches of the same stuff

Searched For George Petts abt 1821 Alderwasley.

No church in Alderwasley at that time . Two parishes nearby- Wirksworth and Crich
Wirksworth (microfilm M113) no Petts families in Wirksworth baptisms 1818 – 1826
Crich : Petts family as follows:
Daniel Petts married Mary Storer 1 Dec 1822 he was from Chadwicks Nick and she was from Crich (microfilm M9)
Children: (microfilm M8)
Hannah   30 Oct 1824
Mary       June 1827
Ellen      7 March 1830
George  25 May 1833
Also William  illegitimate son of Hannah Petts of Crich Common
Another Petts family John and Sarah commenced their baptisms in 1836 and in 1837 they werer living at Whatstandwell bridge very close to Alderwasley. But dates are too late??
I checked the inquest information. No inquests results survive but there are indeed the expenses claims for the coroner. I called up the original document Q/AF/8/8 1820 -1832 and can confirm it said
‘For the same at Alderwasley  ?? of the body of George Petts accidentally killed by a stone following a poacher’ dated April 6 1821 claim for £1 -9-0 !!!
I checked the online newspapers to see if there were any reports but there are no copies for the 1820’s at all. But there was a George Petts sworn in as a grand jury member of the Barmote Court Wirksworth on 21 April 1870
And a George Petts of Stanton Lees and a mine agent was sued for the cost of a 3 guinea suit he had ordered for his son as a wedding suit , from William Ellis (Taylor)

regards nelliedee

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 January 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Nelliedee,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to look for any records relating to my elusive Petts family. 

This must have taken you some considerable time and I really appreciate the time and effort you have obviously put into trying to help me.

I will definitely keep a copy of the information which you have found in the hope that one day I can find a record of my great, great, great grandfather George Petts' baptism which will hopefully help me find out more about his father and also the name of his mother and any siblings which he may have had.

Once again thank you so much for all the effort you have put into trying to help me.

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
Slater - East Yorkshire,