Author Topic: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.  (Read 18553 times)

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.
« on: Monday 23 November 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate descendants of  my mothers uncle Thomas Storie. He was born at Jedburgh. a son of Thomas Storie 1818 & Helen Telfer. & farmed at Calaburn Farm Wilton.Hawick.  The family moved to Hawick after their father died.  The names of his family were.  Thomas 1879 who married Isabella Graham & had a son Thomas 1901. They lived at Todlaw New Cavers.        Elizabeth  1881.   Helen 1883.   George 1885.   John 1887, who was a baker in Hawick & also in WW1. I think he married  Mary Gibson, and was living in Selkirk around 1919,working in a woolen mill.   I seem to be unable to trace any   descendants of my Storie relations.    I  have traced back to  a Thomas Storie 1792 & Isabella Deans. & his father Thomas Storie (spelt Storry).  1750 & Margaret Brunton.  If anyone can give me any information I would be so grateful.
                             Cathiemay.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Thomas Storie 1842 & Jane Hendry.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
The IGI shows 3 of the children of Thomas Storie and Helen Telfer and they are extracted births......
Thomas     born Feb 14 1842 Jedburgh
George      born Mar 17 1847 Jedburgh
Alexander  born Jun 21 1853 Jedburgh
This is just in case you do not have this info.

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
  Thank you very much  for taking the time to  reply.     Alexander the son of Thomas Storie & Helen Telfer was my grandfather, his brother George never married. and  I  would love to know what happened to his brother Thomas's family.  Nobody seems  to know. they seem to have vanished  as has most of  the descendants of my Storie relations.   I keep hoping to find them one day.
                Cathiemay.

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 09 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathiemay,

Have you any information about Thomas b.1842 at all?  I am assuming that from the title of the topic, that he married a Jane Hendry.  Do you have a date and a place for that?  That may help us track him down on census records.

I found him in the 1861 census here - http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=79201029

But searching on Scotland's People I couldn't find a Thomas of the correct age in the 1871 Census in the Roxburghshire area, so I am guessing that he had either moved away from the area, or had passed away by that time.

Let me know what other info you have on Thomas regards dates and places after 1861 and we can see what we can dig up for you!   :)

Cheers,
Clare

ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,
            Thank you for you reply.       Thomas 1842 died at Calaburn farm Wilton. 28/7/1889. (I obtained his  death certificate from Scotlands People).  I have traced him through the census until 1881,( In 1871 He was a farm servant at Mertoun with a family called Bell )  In 1891 his widow & family are still at Calaburn. but by 1901 they have moved  to Wilton Crescent .Hawick.   I have found their son Thomas  1879  died 1931 at  New Cavers.Roxburghshire.   also have seen the Army record of son John 1887 who was in WW1. and was a baker, the last I have seen of him is he was living in Selkirk 1919 .  I have no idea if the daughters married, or what happened to the son George. or if any of them had descendants.
I notice you have an interest in Elliot & Crozier families.   I also have these names in my tree from Newcastleton through my Glendinning/Jackson relations.
                                  regards Catherine

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

So...

Thomas (b.1842) & Jane Hendry had the following children, for which you are searching descendants?

- Thomas b.1879 d. 1931
     m. Isabella Graham
      - Thomas b. 1901
- Elizabeth b.1881
- Helen b.1883
- George b.1885
- John b.1887

The images for marriage certificates now go up to 1934 on the Scotland's People site, so you should be able to find all/any marriages that occurred in Scotland on there.  It also has the images for death certs  up to 1955 so again, there is a good chance that you will find some of them there.  Searching for a death for the daughters will throw up any spouses names.

Of course, access to the 1911 census would help greatly too!  But you'll have to wait at least another year for that!

As for my Elliots & Croziers - I don't have any connection to the Glendinnings at all yet.  I do have a connection to a Jackson though.  My GGGG Uncle William Elliot married an Elizabeth Jackson in 1870.  She was the daughter of Robert Jackson and Margaret Hutton.  And in spite of searching, I have yet to come across anyone researching the same Elliot line as me.  I guess that shows just how many there were in Castleton in the 1800s!

Cheers,
Clare

ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
CATHIEMAY. iN kIRKHOPE CEMETERY THERE IS ALEXANDER STORIE  died 26-11-1927 aged 75yrs wife Elizabeth Glendinning -Ellen their daughter and John storie killed 1st world war 3-5-1915 aged 24yrs.
also Alex Storrie died 25-9-1966 aged 83yrs wife Jessie Bell
In Ashkirk there isa Thomas Storey died Salenside 1923 aged 75yrs  and in Ettrick Cem there is another Thomas wife of Mary Amos
In yarrow ther is an Andrew Storie Tait died Jedburgh 1908.
If you need more details let me know.I also have the headstone photos when i transcribed them all.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan,
           Sorry for the delay in answering your e/mail, I have only found it.  Thank you so much for your information on the Stories in various graveyards.   The Alexander & Elizabeth Glendinning are my grandparents. and the Alexander & Jessie Bell  (she lived until she was nearly 107). is my uncle & aunt.  I am interested in the Thomas Storie's  wife Mary Amos at Ettrick .(is that the cemetary at the top of the valley ?) I think that is my uncle s first wife.  I have'nt found any connection so far with the others you mention, but will have a look  to see if they fit in anywhere.  There are so many Thomas 's amongst the Stories its all so confusing, but so very interesting trying to sort them all out.   I would love to find where my grt.grt. grt. grandparents Thomas & Margaret Brunton are buried. He was a blacksmith I think on a farm around Jedburgh. His son Thomas & Isabella Deans & their  son Thomas & Helen Telfer are buried at Jedburgh Abbey.
                               regards Cathiemay

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ettrick kirkyard is away at the top of Ettrick the one at EttrickbridgeEnd is Kirkhope cemetery.She was Mary Jane Amos died at Crosslee Farm 17-12-1928 aged 48yrs.
The others are in Jed.You mention Helen Telfer but MIs for Jed says Helen telfer Trotter
died Cleuchhead 1903 aged 79yrs  and their son George died 1922 aged 76yrs. Beside the entry it says "whose" meaning whose son Isabellas or Helens ? then the names Helen and Thomas
Re the Bruntons you will have to give me Margarets maiden name and roughly the years and ages
I have in my tree an Alexander Brunton /Christne Hunter and their daughter married a Crosbie then down to my mother and then me.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders