Author Topic: St Clares Park Sandymount Dublin  (Read 21343 times)

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Henry Clark - 5th Royal Irish Lancers
    • View Profile
Re: St Clares Park Sandymount Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Shane

The cert is actually the original as far as I am aware. Although our family name is spelt 'Clark' (without the 'e').

I will take your advise and order another cert to see how the two compare.

Any ideas on maps that may be available that would show a dewling called St Clares Park in the parish of Donnybrook, Sandymount?

Best wishes
Nick

PS Apologies to the moderator for the large birth certificate image file attached to my previous posting.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
if it is the house name it probably would not be marked on a map.

I've few put a few slightly older Dublin maps online - see :    
  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,419905.0.html
and
  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,419744.0.html
but I dont  think most most of these cover quite enough of Sandymount.

I also have a few Dublin maps (on paper) from the 1930s onward that I've already checked, with no success..

Have you found any of the family on the 1911 census ?

There's a possible match for the informant Lizzie/Elizabeth Killeen, which could be a clue  - see : http://www.rootschat.com/links/07jh/

Hope street was off Barrow Street - which is not far from Sandymount

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Yes the Killeen family on the 1911 Census may fit with what I have on my Grandmother.

Her name was May Violet Killeen and her mother (my Great Grandmother) could quite possibly have been the same Lizzie/Elizabeth Killeen on the cert. and the Census. The only difference I can see is that my Grandmother May Killeen was born 9th March 1892 which would make her approximately 19 at the time of the 1911Census? However, I often hear that some details can't always be trusted? I don't know the actual date of when the 1911 Census was recorded?

My Grandfather James Henry Clark (born in Bethnal Green, London) joined the 5th Royal Irish Lancers in Dublin around 1914, and as far as I know he must have come to Ireland during this period. I presume that Grandfather then met and married my Grandmother (the date of which I would like to find too) Shortly after my Father was born,  they left for London but once again the actual date is unclear to our family?

Thanks for your continued help it really is all very interesting.

Nick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
...I don't know the actual date of when the 1911 Census was recorded?....

the 1911 census was taken on Sunday 2 April

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Yes the Killeen family on the 1911 Census may fit with what I have on my Grandmother.

Her name was May Violet Killeen and her mother (my Great Grandmother) could quite possibly have been the sane Lizzie/Elizabeth Killeen on the cert. and the Census. The only difference I can see is that my Grandmother May Killeen was born 9th March 1892 which would make her approximately 19 at the time of the 1911Census? However, I often hear that some details can't always be trusted? I don't know the actual date of when the 1911 Census was recorded?

My Grandfather James Henry Clark (born in Bethnal Green, London) joined the 5th Royal Irish Lancers in Dublin around 1914, and as far as I know he must have come to Ireland during this period. I presume that Grandfather then met and married my Grandmother (the date of which I would like to find too) Shortly after my Father was born,  they left for London but once again the actual date is unclear to our family?

Thanks for your continued help it really is all very interesting.

Nick

a little bit earlier than I was expecting - but a possible cross match in the familysearch civil index for the marriage of James & Mary :

Name: James Henry Clark
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Record type: Marriage
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1914
 Volume: 2 / Page: 587

Name: Mary Killeen
 [same index details]

Sandymount is in the Dublin south registration district. There was a major barracks not far from Sandymount at Beggars Bush.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Shane

I believe my Grandad would have been stationed with the 5th Lancers at the Marlborough Barracks Phoenix Park Dublin just before August 1914. He would most certainly then embarked with the regiment to France from Dublin on 15th August 1914. Returning with the regiment to Southampton, England 24th March 1919.

Very interested to see the marriage links of James & Mary. Can you tell me where I couId possibly go from here and what can I expect to see with regard to further details/documents etc?

Thanks again
Nick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 08:29 GMT (UK) »
you can order a research cert from the GRO (for the birth or marriage) - download the form(s) at : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm  The form allows for different types of cert - just ensure that the index details (listed earlier) are entered somewhere on the form. Ignore the other details - RSI number, parents names etc

you can search the Irish civil index on familysearch at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

Details included on an Irish marriage cert are :
   District, church & priest details
   Date & place of marriage
   groom's full name, occupation , condition, current residence and age
   bride's full name, occupation , condition, current residence and age
   groom's father's name and occupation
   brides's father's name and occupation
   witness names

* age usually entered as 'full'
    * condition = bachelor, spinster etc

not sure though how that 1914 marriage would fit with the data you have on where James was located...  although it's a match to James' full name..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Many thanks for your continued help and information thus far.

Today I received the birth certificate of my Father's elder sister Annie Elizabeth Violet Clark born 18th May 1915. This cert has some interesting details. According to this, the residence is shown as 3 O'Brien's Place and the birth registered district is shown as Donnybrook No. 1.

My Grandfather James Henry Clark is also shown as expected at Marlborough Barracks and recorded as a private in 5th RI Lancers.

As my Grandmother Mary is shown as formally Killeen I presume they were married before 18th May 1915.

However nothing found yet on 3 O'Brien's Place in Dublin?

Just a thought this but could O'Brien's Place and St Clare's Park be names of birth clinics/nursery's in Donnybrook and Sandymount?

Best wishes

Nick

Offline lostallinterest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Today O'Briens Place North can be found in.......D9

However your O'Briens Place was off Haddington Road in D4....and was occupied by 3 families in 1911

(Bray,Byrne and Moore) the address would be near Beggars Bush Barracks
lost all interest