Author Topic: Dingley family of Cropthorne  (Read 56303 times)

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dingley family of Cropthorne
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 March 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
... but family legend abounds about tombs of bloody hands and haunted Charlton Manor with hidden butts of Malmsbury wine ......

I would be interested to hear of your family legends as I may be able to point you to the original stories, or they may help shed some light on throw away statements I have come across in my research.

The tombs of bloody hands probably relates to 'The Ruby Tragedy'. One brother (a naval Captain) killed his brother over the inheritance and was hanged. Both are in Crypt in Cropthorne.

http://www.worcesterpeopleandplaces.com/articles/20050630190505.asp

The wine vats are also interesting as I have read of a supposed link between the Dingleys to smuggling, although there is no evidence of it anywhere.

Neil
Dineley, Dyneley, Dingley, Dyngley, Dyngeley, Impey, Honeysett, Innes,

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 March 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your post which I found very interesting and informative.

I agree that for my particular family connection the main concern is Edward Dingley and to be honest the family links recorded from William Dingley (Halesowen, Worcestershire) back to Francis from Cropthorne is taken from other peoples family trees. These family trees are totally unsourced which immediately aroused my suspicious and it seemed to me that everyone copied their trees from each other.

I may never be able to trace my Dingley line back fully because William Dingley's place of birth doesn't seem to have been recorded on any documents. He appears on the 1841 census which stated he was born in County (Worcestershire) and his brother Robert Dingley who also lived in Halesowen, Worcestershire and is also listed born in County (Worcestershire) on the 1841 census. I can find no other Dingleys living in Halesowen prior to Robert and William but they had big familes and there are lots and lots of us around the Halesowen area today. William alone married twice and had 12 children and Robert wasn't that far behind his brother :P

I had never considered the Dingle connection from Cornwall which is food for thought and I'm going to do some research on that possibility. I will be just as pleased if I'm related to the Dingles of Cornwall and that will be a first to trace members of my family outside of Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire ;D

Interestingly I've found a number of Dingley families living in Cropthorne, Worcestershire over the years?

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline klb8s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 April 10 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all!
I am quite interested in this family. My initial research shows I am descended from Sarah Dingley (my 8 g grandmother), who it appears is the great granddaughter of Francis Dingley and Elizabeth (Bigge) Dingley.
I am hoping to find documentation, confirming Francis and Elizabeth married and were parents of John (married Sarah [perhaps Chillingworth]) who emigrated to Lynn, Massachusetts (before it was USA) in 1635.
They were the parents of Jacob who married Elizabeth Newton in Marshfield, Massachusetts.  And they were the parents of Sarah.
I have some info that states Elizabeth was the daughter of Thomas and born in Lench wick, Norton, Worcestershire.
Can anyone confirm this or tell me where I can find some documentation on it?
Any dates that can get filled in for me is much appreciated.

Your American "cousin"
Kimm

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 April 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Kimm,

Sorry to disapoint you, but link between John Dingley of Marshfield and Francis Dingley in Charlton is a myth started by a book written by an Edward Nelson Dingley. Francis did have a son called John, but he was baptised in Cropthorne Church on 1st September 1594. There has also been some misrepresentation of John's marriage and his death, the extract below should give you some further information. You will see that the correct identification of his death would have made him a highly unlikely 95 years if he had been the son of Francis Dingley and Elizabeth Bigge. I have also seen a reference to a private conversation in which Edward Dingley admits he has no evidence for the connection he made.

For what it is worth, the only other suggestion for the origins of John of Marshfield that I have come across (although I have not found the reference) is that a John Dingley of Boston, Lincolnshire applied for permission to go abroad at around the correct time period.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Neil

DINGLEY, JOHN – John Dingley may have resided earlier at Lynn (Moore Families, p.227), but he first appears in Plymouth records at Sandwich on 4 December 1638, when he was fined ten shillings for being defective in arms, and was also presented for keeping two hogs unringed (PCR 1:107). On 16 April 1640 he was granted five and one-half acres of meadow lands allotted at Sandwich (PCR 1:149). On 5 June 1644 he was chosen constable of Marshfield (PCR 2:72). Since he was on the 1643 ATBA for both Sandwich and Marshfield, it would seem that he moved from the former to the latter about this time. He also served as grandjuror (PCR 2:84, 116, 3:78, 4:37, 91, 148, 5:91), and as a highway surveyor (PCR 2:102, 4:124), and on grand and trial juries (PCR, passim). He became a freeman on 5 June 1644 (PCR 2:71). On 22 October 1650 Richard Church sold Dingley some land in Marshfield, and Dingley was described as a smith (blacksmith) in the deed (PCR 12:197). On 1 November 1679 John Dingley and his fourteen-year-old servant Arthur Loe appeared in court and Arthur convenanted to live with Dingley and his wife as an apprentice and servant until he became twenty-one (PCR 6:25). Administration of Dingley’s estate, dated 18 March 1689/90, shows that he was survived by son Jacob, and Jacob’s son Joseph; Sarah, the wife of William Ford; and Hannah, the wife of Josiah Keane (PN&Q 5:92).
   His wife has been called Sarah _____________. The accounts of John Dingley’s origins as the son of an armigerous family of Cropthorne, Worcestershire, with several fairly recent royal lines, as given by Edward N. Dingley, Ancestors of Edward N. Dingley (1954), are colourful, but unsupported by evidence and not very logical. Some of the reasons for doubting this Dingley ancestry are given by Eugene A. Stratton, “Search for the English Ancestry of John Dingley”, TAG 56:207; however, this article gives an incorrect surname for Dingley’s wife and the author fell into the mistake made by others, such as Savage and Arthur Adams, of thinking that Dingley died some thirty-one years earlier than he actually did. An updated article by Stratton, “Another Look at John Dingley of Marshfield”, will appear in TAG, 61:234. Moore Families, p. 227-32, gives a well-documented narrative of Dingley’s life and some of his early descendants, and shows that he also had two sons named John who died young, and a daughter Mary, who married Capt. Myles Standish’s son Josiah, but died without issue.
From: Plymouth Colony: Its History and People, Eugene Aubrey Stratton.

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 April 10 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There seems to be a few people who know quite a bit about the Dingley family so perhaps someone could help.

My ancestors are the Archers of Welland and Hanley Castle a younger branch of the Archers of Umberslade and during my research I discovered that a Violetta Dingley of Ripple born about 1750, daughter of James of Ripple married John Ballard.  Their daughter married a Richard Pitt.

Both the Dingleys and the Pitts are driving me bonkers.   I believe that Violetta is a descendant of the Dingleys of Charlton but cannot find the proof.  However there are too many links to the Archers and their connected families for it to be pure coincidence.

For example; Sir Francis Egioke married Elinor, daughter of Francis Dyneley of Charlton and their daughter Elizabeth married Philip Bearcroft, linked to the Archers via a marriage.  Mercy, daughter of Edward Pitt married Henry Bromley and their son William married Margeret daughter of Sir Richard Berkeley of Cotheridge linked to the Archer family.

Offline klb8s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil;
I had a feeling there was no connection because I couldn't find any "real" documentation.  I have learned to usually not trust family group sheets, etc.  I try to stick to actual historic documents and public and town records. But thought I had a chance to check things out.
So, I'm not too dissappointed.  I just shudder at all the misinfo out there and how many people have this connection in family trees and perpetuating it.  I spend most of my genealogy time trying to independently document what many people take as gospel.  Well my roots are deep in Pilgrim America and England, Ireland, and Wales. So I'm sure I have some English cousins out there somewhere.

Thanks again,

Kimm

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 April 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Kimm,

I share your frustration with the internet. On the one hand it offers so many opportunities to uncover new truths and on the other it propogates rubbish. The think I find most amusing/disquieting is the levels some people will go to defend the unfounded.

I admit I have not read the full articles in The American Genealogist (TAG), but you can order back copies from them and make up your own mind. I am sure they will offer you some insights into your line. If I remember correctly they suggest that John's wife Sarah was not a Chillingworth, but was, in fact, someone else,

http://americangenealogist.com/BackIssue.html

I would still strongly suspect that, if you have a Dingley in your tree, that you descend from one of the 3 roots that came from Clivager/Downham/Clitheroe, but proving it is another matter.

Good luck.

Neil

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 April 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
jidian,

I don't have an answer for you, but we may be able to narrow down some possibilities.

You will need to supply a few more details of dates for the Pitts, as there were several Edwards, but if we start with the Dingleys; this is my current understanding of them as it might relate to your problem,

John Dingley (b.1485-98 - d.1541) was the keeper of Hanley Park in 1511. John had two sons Edward (who is the head of the Dingleys of Kent) and Henry, Lord of the Manor of Charlton and probably the continued interest in Hanley.

Henry had 3 sons Francis (the famous one), George and Henry of Hanley Castle. To my knowledge George had a daughter, Mary, but Henry married twice (Alice Bletchenden and Magdelan Egioke) and by Magdalen had 3 sons Henry, John and William. I have no recorded children for Henry, but William became Colnel William Dingley in the Parliamentary forces in the Civil War and died in 1653, the same year as his son, also called William.

That leaves John, who had two sons, Henry and John. I have no children for Henry, but John had a son John and a daughter Anne.  This is my understanding of how the Dingley of Hanley Castle line peters out, but there may have been other children that are not recorded. If that is so, then there should be land transfer records in either Worcestershire or Gloucestershire Records Office that give a hint of it. If not, then James Dingley could have originated from outside of the immediate area. This would then be hard to prove.

Offline Cherryexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 April 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
Francis had at least 15 male grandchildren and anyone of these could have migrated to Ripple to take over the land of a bride. It will be hard to establish, unless you can find a marriage record that says James Dingley of .....?

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Neil

P.S. I have tried typing this response 3 times, only to lose everything I put down by pressing the wrong button, so I have limited myself to the position as I see it, rather than produce the supporting evidence.