Author Topic: Marriage at Eaton Bray, 1818: Thomas COBB and Sarah HUMBLES - COMPLETED, Thanks  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
According to the IGI, Thomas COBB married Sarah HUMBLES at Eaton Bray on 27 Jul 1818. I'm trying to establish whether or not this was the same Thomas Cobb who married Ann READ at Eaton Bray on 20 Oct 1803 (did Ann pass away and did Thomas re-marry?).

I'm hoping that someone will have access to the Eaton Bray registers and can look up the Cobb-Humbles marriage and post the details - particularly the details of the Thomas' status at the time of the marriage, i.e. bachelor or widower (if shown).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Eaton Bray, 1818: Thomas COBB and Sarah HUMBLES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
An Anne Cobb age 33 was buried at Eaton Bray on 4 June 1817

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that David, it does seem to fit in with my thoughts that both marriages involved the same Thomas Cobb. Ann(e) would have been about 19 at the time of the 1803 marriage.

I have been trying to trace back the Cobb line from one of the children of the first Thomas Cobb marriage, but instead of finding Thomas and Ann Cobb on the censuses I found Thomas and Sarah ... hence my current line of enquiry.

Thomas was on the 1841 census at Eaton Bray age 65, not born in county, living with Sarah, age 60, born in Bedfordshire, and their son William.

By 1851 Sarah had passed away and Thomas, age 74, born at Wing, Buckinghamshire, was living at Eaton Bray with his son William and William's wife and two young children. It appears that Thomas died before the 1861 census.

With Eaton Bray being right on the county border I'm guessing that further research is going to involve both Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire.

Thanks again David.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 09 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

From the Eaton Bray PR transcript the marriage on 20 Oct 1803 is for Thomas Cobb of E B to Ann Read of Tilsworth.

There is also baptism on 20 Mar 1808 of Thomas, son of Thomas & Ann Cobb.

From the microfiche of PR baptisms we have on 7 Mar 1813 John, son of Thomas & Ann Cob; and on 12 May 1816 Ann (born 3 Apr 1816) daughter of Thomas & Ann Cobb, labourer.

There is a burial of this Ann Cobb on 26 Apr 1818 aged 2 years & 3 weeks, that follows the burial of her mother Anne Cobb age 33 on 4 June 1817.

On 27 July 1818 is the marriage of Thomas Cobb to Sarah Humbles, both of this parish (E B)  with no mention of their status/condition, it doesn't say he was a bachelor or a widower. Witnesses Mary Humbles & John Fountain. It was by Banns but the banns available do not start until 1823.

There were baptisms of William on 10 Oct 1819 son of Thomass & Sarah Cobb, labourer & Jesse on 18 Nov 1821 son of Thomas & Sarah Cobb.

There was a burial of Thomas Cobb on 22 June 1820 age 1 year - no baptism found !

.... & burials of Mary daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth Cobb on 13 Feb 1822 age 16, & of Jesse son of Thomas & Elizabeth Cobb on 31 May 1822 age 11 months. Now this latter entry has a big ink blob where the wife's name is  & Elizabeth written underneath.   

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to you John for looking up those parish records. Although the 1818 marriage does not give Thomas' marital status I think, on the balance of probabilities, that it must have been the same Thomas who married Ann Read. In which case this Thomas was born around 1777 in Wing, Buckinghamshire (according the 1851 census) ... and there the trail goes cold as there doesn't seem to be a baptism for him there, only a William Cobb a few years earlier. But that's another thread....

Talking of Thomas and William, the baptism of William Cobb in 1819 and the burial of Thomas Cobb in 1820, age 1, with no baptism, is interesting. I think Thomas and William were one and the same, as Thomas (senior) and Sarah also had a William baptised in 1823 according to the IGI, indicating that the first William died very young. The second William was with Thomas and Sarah in 1841, and by 1851 William was married and his widower father Thomas was living with him and his family.

Hmmmm, interesting that Thomas had two Williams (even if the first seems to have been re-named Thomas after his baptism) William, that the only Cobb baptised at Wing was named William and his father was also William - maybe that trail hasn't gone cold yet as I'm now thinking Thomas may well have been a brother of William of Wing.

Thanks again John,

Steve