Author Topic: Windwell Home Stirling  (Read 10006 times)

wendi b

Windwell Home Stirling
« on: Friday 11 March 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi can any one give me any info on Windwell Home upper bridge st stirling  1963 as my husband was there

Offline staneybreeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Windwell Home Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
You are looking for Whinwell Home
Their records are in the District Archives, 3 Borrowmeadow Rd, Stirling
References:
NRA 24594
Whinwell Childrens Home, Stirling
Survey NRA(S)2294
Reference PD 41

Offline alm1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  I was there on Monday but didn't get very far.  I thought about going down the Annie Croall (the founder) search route, to see if I could get a picture of the Orphange that way.

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Alm1

Annie Croall wrote a book about her experiences with the Children's Home and there's a copy in the Reference Library, Corn Exchange Road, Stirling. It's called ' Fifty Years on A Scottish Battlefield 1873 - 1923' which is slightly misleading, but getting the home going, finding premises, and getting funding was a constant battle for her.

The index to the 'Stirling Jornal and Advertiser' Volume 2 has entries in the 'Health and Welfare - Child Welfare' section for  'Stirling, Whinwell Children's Home', starting in 1897. There are also entries for 'Stirling, Neglected and Destitute Children's Home' and 'Stirling, Children's Home' which may be Whinwell as well.

Volume 3 has entries from 1920 right up to 1969. Although the Home didn't close until much later, the paper stopped publication in 1970 so there may be items about the Home in the other newspaper, the 'Stirling Observer' but it's not indexed. The Library has the Journal and the Observer on microfilm.

Good luck.

Hannah

Offline alm1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Hannah

Thank you so much for doing so much work for me on Whinwell. I'll go to the Corn Exchange Library next day I have off to read all about Annie Croall and hopefully find a picture or two of the orphanage.

Yours

Louise W

Offline McCrimmond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 10 10:58 GMT (UK) »
My name is Neil, I was in Whinwell Children's Home early 60's to early 70's.  The home was not specifically an orphanage during that time.  Children were sent who due to circumstances at home (disadvantage, poverty, family illness) could not be looked after by their family.  The Children's home had two large dorm's on the upper level, Mrs Ritchie was the Matron when I stayed there.  We all attended the local Primary School a short walk downhill, enjoyed bus trips to Fife and stayed in local schools during the summer.  I have fond memories of the large grounds, orchards and play ground, large chapel next door and small cottage heading down the drive on the left side.  Go to Stirling Notice Board Knowhere guide and scroll down, only recently found this.  Stirling Council Records are very poor given the importance of many children attempting to get answers/understanding.  The home was not local Authority, relied on charity and donations from local councils who used it.  Children were sent there from all over Scotland. Last children accomodated there was 1980 when it closed. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline McCrimmond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 February 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi can any one give me any info on Windwell Home upper bridge st stirling  1963 as my husband was there

Wendy B, your husband must have been there same time as me.  I have added a post with email address. 

Offline maxkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
hi ,
my name is rose Anne i was in the home for a while i can remember quite a lot about the place ,some good memory's some bad overall good.I can remember a lot of names of staff people who stayed there and even the dogs name sandy the golden lab, eight weeks summer hols around ayr Elie loads of places going to the castle for Christmas dinner with the regiment it was good.ask me any question if i can i will answer it .matrons when i was there was miss dale   the miss Ritchie who i kept in touch with for years
IWAS THERE 1957/1965

Offline maxkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 October 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
hi ,
my name is rose Anne i was in the home for a while i can remember quite a lot about the place ,some good memory's some bad overall good.I can remember a lot of names of staff people who stayed there and even the dogs name sandy the golden lab, eight weeks summer hols around ayr Elie loads of places going to the castle for Christmas dinner with the regiment it was good.ask me any question if i can i will answer it .matrons when i was there was miss dale   the miss Ritchie who i kept in touch with for years
IWAS THERE 1957/1965