Author Topic: Burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox  (Read 7750 times)

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials of Benjamin and Martha Fox
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Rose

I'm no longer signed up to Genes or Ancestry.

Here's what George's Will says

FOX George  Effects Under £50  12 June   Administration (with the Will) of the effects of George Fox late of Fulwood in the Parish of Sheffield in the County of York Farmer who died 27 July 1848 at Fulwood was granted at Wakefield to Joseph Fox of Bradfield in the Parish of Ecclesfield in the said County Publican the Son one of the Residuary Legatees substituted.

Going back to Benjamin, I think the Fox family were all related and it is possible that Benjamin was farming land in Killamarsh which probably belonged to the Fox family.  There is mention of Killamarsh in the Bagshaw documents.

Janet

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks.   Killamarsh is next to Balbrough. and George fox married Mary Poole of Balborough after Dorothy Balgay died. so there off spring would be in the right area Barlbrough/killamarch.
I do think that George Fox and Christiana Hinchcliffe are the right people ancestors  of the family of Fulwood Hall.  just the connections George to George to George etc that needs tieing up.
Some of the genes contacts are stll investigating so any new news i will let u know.   

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rose

This helps to build the bigger picture.

Where are you?  Are you in Sheffield?

Janet

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census for George and Christiana. justsays  strafford and tickhill south district Ecclesall Bierlow Upper hallam.  children Martha. Susannah. Samuel , Stephen and william.
Upper hallam  is the right area (do you have the right census. ).  In the 1700 there was no parish church in Fulwood so every month they took all the new born children to Hathersage to be cristenend.  So this is why many of the fox family says Hathersage even though they lived at Fulwood.
Bradfield. Norton.Killamarch . Eckington were all named as being in Derbyshire at that time Now all districts of Sheffield. 
Are you Janet G....r llisted on Genes. ??
I am based in sheffield on the south side  and near to Norton, Killamarch, Eckington and Barlborough. (just 2miles away).
One day we might find the full and correct information of the Fulwood Fox family as i do hope that the ancestors of George Fox are correct . Perhaps somebody will right to   so you think you are royal. TV programme .
Which line of the tree do you come down from and i will check my tree.
Rose

Offline janmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Rose

The 1841 Census shows that George was not born in Yorkshire and that Christiana was.  I just think that it is odd that he was not born in Yorkshire if he was a 'Fulwood Hall' Fox.

If George was the son of Benjamin Fox, Benjamin was born in 1751 and there is a baptism for Benjamin in 1751 in Hathersage.  This makes it more likely that George was more likely to belong to the Fox family of Derbyshire!  I could be completely wrong it's the fact that the Census has 'N' to being born in the County that has made me doubt that he was a Fulwood Hall Fox.

I still think they were all related in some way but it's working out how.

I am Janet G on Genes.  I am a descendent of George's son Joseph, his daughter Frances married Charles Swallow then it's William Swallow followed by Harry Swallow (who helped with More of Mayfield Valley), then Betty Swallow who married Bruce Walker and I am Janet their daughter.

If only George had lived until 1851!

Janet

Offline RoseW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks.    The 1841 census is difficult to read the y and n.   I can only advise the Fullwood. Dore . Norton Bradfield, Dungworth .  in the 1700's were usually classed as Derbyshire/yorkshire boarder. So it does not surprise me if  he would have a N for yorkshire as it was most probable classed as Derbyshire.  All the children were taken to Hathersage to be baptised instead of into Sheffield for the Parish church.  Fulwood is nearer to Hathersage.    The father of George 1777 is difficult to say . We really need to check the parish record itself .  Not sure if the book would be in Sheffield or if it is in Matlock record dept.  If i get a chance to phone up . I will.  I will recheck with my Genes contacts decendants of George to see if they have done any more investigation on this.     Perhaps the buriel parish book may say his parents names.  This bookmore than likely  be in sheffield.
Rosemary.

Offline Richard Webb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just had a DNA test have have four matches to people with George Fox 1777-1848 in their tree. My Fox family is the Callow branch from Hathersage near Highlow Hall. I work with two other researchers on this family and we have a lot of documentation to prove our family, and the graves in Hathersage church yard write the relationships in stone, which match the wills. Our branch is the one who built Fox House, now a pub on the Sheffield to Hathersage Road.

My DNA results suggests a link to your branch of the Foxes but I can't see where it fits, do our branches share a common ancestor? I would be very interested in comparing notes and trees with you.

Regards,
Richard (from Sheffield)

Offline Richard Webb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 July 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
Don't rely on the book by Muriel Hall, some of the info is wrong. She claims that the George Fox who was baptised in Hathersage on 16th November 1777 was the one who lived at New May House Farm but this is incorrect. The George Fox who was baptised on this date was from the Foxes of Callow Farm and he's buried with his parents in Hathersage churchyard, the grave can be found near the church porch with other graves from the Callow Foxes. Richard.