Author Topic: Help with Abbreviations naval service record  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with Abbreviations naval service record
« on: Wednesday 25 November 09 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Please can any one tell me what the Abbreviations on this naval service record mean? I see he signed up fro 12 years, but
There is a date “from” would this have been his service as a boy entry? I cant find him in the 1901 census!
Thank you,
 Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Abbreviations naval service record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 01:19 GMT (UK) »
B 1C Boy 1st Class...The date is 6th  Sept 1899 i think.

Impregnable was a Training Ship and would have been at Devonport Plymouth for the 01 census.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Ady,

Please can anyone tell me what the abbreviation  “Under List and No”  means?
I have looked in the 1901 census index & can not find Leonard Hutchins b 1884 Nottingham, I also looked at a web page of listings of  “Royal Navy in 1901 census” the Impregnable wasn’t listed! can any with this, I don’t have a subscription  to the census, thank you.
 Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Ady,

Please can anyone tell me what the abbreviation  “Under List and No”  means?
I have looked in the 1901 census index & can not find Leonard Hutchins b 1884 Nottingham, I also looked at a web page of listings of  “Royal Navy in 1901 census” the Impregnable wasn’t listed! can any with this, I don’t have a subscription  to the census, thank you.
 Ann E

Nothing very exciting. For purposes of pay and administration, all hands were allocated a List and ship's book number. The Lists were sub-divisions of the ship's company, List 1 officers, List 2 Warrant Officers, List 10 boys etc, whilst the number was their number on the ship's book and in which order they queued up to salute for their pay. These remained while in the ship unless they were promoted, and would be different in the next ship. They have nothing to do with the service number.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Leofric, you learn something every day.
 Ann E

Offline bobloes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old subject but can anyone help direct me to a list of lists.  I do not yet know what function my grandfather performed and I am guessing that these lists would refer to different groups ie gunners, stokers, cooks.  As a by the by he was generally List 15.  Thanks.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Here is an article on life on the Impregnable

http://www.plymouthdata.info/How%20Blue-Jackets%20are%20Trained.pdf

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
There is a lot of info here
< http://rmhh.co.uk/mariners.html >
Ann