Author Topic: Arthur family,Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden  (Read 12936 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur family,Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I was going by the dates in the IGI index only, they give birth as 26th March, baptism 28th March 1791.
Does it say something different in the entry you saw from SP?

I noted earlier that there were also quite a few Arthurs born in Cullen, when I looked at the parish records by batch.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I did n't get the information off scotlandspeople. I got it off the microfilm over 20 years ago, (before the days of computers!). Yes, both of the dates you quoted were in it. Was n't too clear if 26th was a date of birth or not, but definately baptised on 28th. Looking through all this paperwork I realise that this baptism record is the only one which names Elspet as an Arthur & not Mutch. If I was advising someone else on this I'd say they'd the wrong person! I should try & see if there's baptism records other than Church of Scotland. I checked out the William Black who was living with Elspet Mutch in 1841. I initially thought that I'd uncovered a mistake. There was a William Black baptised in Cruden on 26th Feb.1826.His parents were George Black & his wife Elspet Mutch! However the Elspet Mutch he's with is not his mother. That William appears in Ellon living with his parents. So, I now think he's the son of William Black & Jane Sim.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd be able to find out about a couple of female Arthurs in the Parish of Cruden, who appear as paupers in the censuses.The poor relief records for Cruden have not survived so sadly this avenue of investigation is closed.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline mohunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Slains,Logie Buchan & Cruden
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 July 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been looking at Genealogy names associated with the Slains/Cruden area and I noticed that your list of surnames have names on it which I am also looking at.  They are Bruce, Simpson and Smith.  My great great grandfather was Alexander Bruce Smith.  His older brother was George Rennie Smith.  They are said to have both been born in Aberdeenshire to parents Alexander B. Smith and Mary Ann (nee Simpson).  They were married in Turriff in 1828.  We know that Mary Ann was born to parents John Simpson and Jean Leggat in Cruden in 1807.  We also know that Alexander B. Smith would have been born around 1806, but we do not know definitely if his second name was Bruce like that of his son.  We also know that Mary Ann's older sister Margaret, married a George Rennie in the early 1800's so we know how George Rennie Smith got his name.  Alexander Snr, George and Mary Ann all died in Tasmania.  Alexander Jnr died here in NZ.  Do you have information on Alexander B. Smith Snr and Mary Ann Simpson.  I would really appreciate if you do have information letting me know.  I'd be willing to share information I have to.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 July 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat! Sorry to say but I haven't come across any of the people you mentioned in your post.If I come across any information relevant to them I'll certainly let you know.
Regards,
flst

Offline mohunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks - would so much appreciate that.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Some of the Arthur family lived in Peterhead as well, which is not far away at all, and there's several Arthurs buried at Peterhead Old Cemetery.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur family, Slains
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 October 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
The stone refered to is number 55 Slains u/p if anyone has the booklet. :)

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/

A quick look at the IGI provides some info on some members of this family.

JOHN ARTHUR Married ISOBEL CRUICKSHANK 14th January 1832, Slains.
They had (a lot of!) issue:

ISABELLA 1833
CATHARINE 1834
JEAN 1836
JOHN 1838
JAMES 1840
ANN 1842
MARGARET BRUCE 1844
ANDREW 1846
ROBERT 1849
WILLIAM 1850
ROBERT MIDDLETON 1853
ELIZA DALGARNO 1856

They are on the 1851 census (FreeCen) at Crawley, Slains - parents and 5 of the children.

I hope this is of some help.

Kirsty

Do you think this could be them at Mains of Geark in 1841, and they've recorded mother and daughter as Elizabeth rather than Isabell?

John Aurther   30
Elisabeth Aurther   30
Elisabeth Aurther Junr.   9
Jean Aurther   5
John Aurther   3
James Aurther   1

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found an Elspet Arthur born 1763, to William Arthur & his wife Ann Massie.She is one of 11 children,all born in Logie Buchan. She has a sister,Christian.If this is the same Elspet why was n't Christian shown in the census as a sister? William & Ann also had sons William & Andrew who could be the witnesses at Jane's baptism. I have got a copy of William's death certificate. His parents are ? Arthur.farmer, & Elspet Arthur nee Massie.Aged 85,he died in 1856 & his burial place was Ellon churchyard. How can I prove that Elspet Mutch is a grandaughter of William & Ann? Your comments on this will be very welcome!

This is a long shot after all these years, but I'm wondering whether you still have William Arthur's 1856 death certificate? 

I have the the marriage of James Arthur and Mary Scroggie on (I think) 22nd of March 1856.  The image isn't very clear at all but it was registered at Old Deer.  James states that his parents are William Arthur, wright, deceased and Mary Donaldson - it may say she is deceased as well but it's not a great image.  James lives at Drumwhindle.

William and Mary married on 21 Sept 1826 at Logie Buchan and named their eldest son William.

I can see the family at Drumwhindle in 1841 and 1851 in 1851 William is 50 and says he was born in Cruden.  A William Arthur, son of William Arthur, was baptised at Cruden on 16 Sept 1801.  It's tempting to think this is him, except on the 1861 census there's another William whose wife is Barbara also born about 1801 in Cruden.