Author Topic: Andrew Main, Edinburgh Militia  (Read 7314 times)

Offline kennyg

• RootsChat Member
  • Meikles, Watsons, McGregors and Bairds
    • View Profile
Andrew Main, Edinburgh Militia
« on: Wednesday 25 November 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I've posted this in Midlothian but it might also benefit from posting in the Military area.  I'll start here!!

My 4 x GGrandfather, Andrew Main, is shown on the OPR for his marriage to Ann Weir in 1805 as "Soldier, Edinburgh Militia".  He and Ann have a number of children between 1805 and 1811 but then a gap until 1818.

Was he posted abroad?  Did they move?

Andrew has provided me with most of my 'interesting' ancestors (a footballer who died on the pitch, a number of emigrant miners etc) but he is a bit of a brick wall.

Any help on Andrew or the Militia would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Main, Edinburgh Militia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny

The National Archives of Scotland hold some records which could be relevent, also The Edinburgh City Archives should have some records to do with the Militia.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/military.asp

http://www.scan.org.uk/

This may have more about your man:

Edinburgh City Archives ref GB236/SL127/1A
Edinburgh Militia Records: List of Persons Liable to Serve as Militiamen c1802.

These volumes give the name, age, rank and occupation, place of residence and observations on balloted men.

Hope this helps

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline kennyg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kirsty,

Your reply is appreciated.  I'm already in touch with ECA and will visit when next in Scotland.  SL127 certainly appears to be the right place to look according to their archivist.

Kenny

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny, Are Andrew's parents Robert Main & Janet Crawford? I've done extensive research on the Main lines in Slamannan, Falkirk and Edinburgh. I've been trying to find whether Robert & Janet had a son, Thomas, who married Janet Forsyth in 1811. I would appreciate sharing information with you. Regards, Jim Main

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline CFlynn281

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Andrew Main and Ann Weir were my great, great, great grandparents.  Their son Robert Main married Isabella Shaw,
and their son Andrew Grey Main married Primrose Duncanson; and their son Robert John Main (my grandfather) married Michalinz Zacharko (my grandmother).
My grandparents had three children, Terrance, Robert and Barbara. My father is Robert Clayton Main and he married my mother Shirley Jean Doak Main.
I am trying to figure out how you and I are related?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Cindy

Offline kennyg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy and welcome to Rootschat,

Amazing - you post something over 5 years ago and up pops a reply! 

I make us 4th cousins, once removed.  I come down through Andrew Main's and Ann Weir's son;
- Andrew (1825-1861) who married Jean McDonald and had;
- Andrew (1845-1910) who married Jean Meikle and had;
- Jane (1872-1957) who married William Haining and had;
- Mary (1905-1994) who married David Gibb and had;
my Father (going strong at 76).

I live in London, England although my parents are still in Scotland - where are you? 

Post a couple of times more and we'll be able to exchange personal messages - makes it easier to pass information back and forward.

Regards,

Kenny

Offline CFlynn281

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny
Wow hard to believe that after all these years that I still have family in Scotland and England.  Technology is a fabulous thing.
I am in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  I moved here 10 years ago with my husband.  My mother past away 3 years ago by my dad is still going strong at 79.
His 1st cousin, Fank Bailes (his mother was Dorothy Main, my grandfather's sister), is visiting with my dad as we speak.  His wife Bessie and their daugther
Nancy are there also.  My father is in Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada.
I am going to drop him a line to let him know that I found distance relatives.
My great grandfather (Andrew Gray Main) who married Primrose Duncanson had three children, Robert John Main (my grandfather), Primrose and Dorothy.
Robert John Main married Michalina Zaharko (three children Terrance, Robert and Barbara)
Primrose Main married William Stewart (seven children Andrew, Donald, Gordon, Norm, Robert, William and Helen)
Dorothy Main married Francis Bailes (five children: Frank, Andrew, Edwin, Mark and David)
Our family has had a few reunions since 1984, we call it the Main, Stewart, Bailes reunion.  There are so many people I do not know them all.
Our family tree is quite hugh.  My grandfather settled in Manitoba, Canada in 1903.  My great grandfather, his two daughters and their husbands all came to Canada in 1923.
Most of my cousins are still there but my dad and his brother live in BC.

Offline fergbrown

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, sorry to intrude on the thread. I hope you don't mind me asking if there is a Mitchell Willia Main somewhere in the mix here. There's lots of similarities in the story from Edinburgh to Canada and even to a Robert Main (coincidence)
Been trying to make a connection to Mitchell who seemed to have left Edinburgh in 1957 for Canada.

It's a long shot but asking,

Fergus

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I'd like to stick my Main family in here too!  I have a Jane Main born circa 1821, in Roxburgh , died 1853 in Edinburgh ( buried in Old Calton burial ground) married John Smith - no dates.  Sons William 1845-1857 ,Robert 1847, and John 1848-1911( died Toronto Canada) were all reported to be born in England. Daughters Christina 1850-1901 and Janet 1851 born in Edinburgh.
Christina married James Duncan in Glasgow.  Poor Jane died from "decline" Her parents may have been George Main and Elizabeth Routledge, but their children don't match Scottish naming patterns. However given their closeness to the border, and having children born England  maybe they did not follow them ?  Maybe we can all help each other ?

Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson