Author Topic: Looking for Relatives of Richard Napoleon Wyombe Townsend REECE  (Read 52995 times)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Relatives of Richard Napoleon Wyombe Townsend REECE
« Reply #171 on: Saturday 31 December 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
NSW on-line indexes show:

William MADDERAH   
transported: Nithsdale   1830   
34/889       Ticket of Leave   [4/4095; Reel 922]   
District: Patricks Plains;
Born: York;
Trade: Weaver waterman;
Tried: York QS

TROVE gives the date of his Certificate of Freedom as December 1836
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2208364

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Saturday 31 December 11 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks judb, funny how something can be right under your nose and you don't even think about it.

I'm going to go with The Ellen convict that came to Australia for the 1839 crimes. I have a theory, I don't know how accurate it is. Having came across this info but. I'm under the distinct impression that Ellen married Benjamin and William is his brother, there are 2 possible William madras's from the area that would be of an appropriate age to be transported.. Benjamin and ellen had a child Richard maddrah who died as an infant. 1839.Ellen Mather I believe is the index

Now, I can not find what happened to William madderah after his pardon in 1836, I have been searching non stop.

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Saturday 31 December 11 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again on the bottom of the marriage cert for Benjamin and Ellen it sais
Married in the said parish church according to the rites and ceremonies of the (this bit I handwritten) established churchly banns. By me Edward John baines  vicar

Witness Margaret maddrah and Thomas ???? Ellis possibly
What does all that mean?

I just went though every certificate and there is not 1 record of her stating her father as Benjamin maddrah or any maddrah for that sake. Obviously Benjamin being the only maddrah we could find made a hell of a lot of sense.considering he married a Ellen Beecroft. Who would have thought you would come to Australia and possibly have a child with your brother in law.... Maybe ...
I dunno any other scenarios.

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Saturday 31 December 11 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Both of the tranposrtations are really out that we had, the 1840 Ellen Mather was Ellen Mather in 1837 as well, so I assume since not married until 1839 most likely not her. And the other one really makes it to late, she had to be born in the 40s. Hmmm

Offline margaretatwinmalee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 01 January 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm glad you're back on to the Madderah family. I gave up on the research because I didn't think that Bejamin was Annie Adelaide's father. The dates just don't work. I think that it's more likely to be his brother William. I mentioned William in my couple of first postings (nos 92 and 97) in 2009 - on page 10, but as I couldn't find a further reference to him after he received his Certificate of Freedom in 1836, I figured I must have been wrong. I shouldn't have given up on this - sorry.

William's Certificate of Freedom says he was last in the district of Patricks Plains. I think I looked up lists of convicts for that area and couldn't find him but maybe I didn't look thoroughly enough - is it worth another try? Judith mentioned that in 1831 or 1832 he worked for John Gaggin at Windsor. That's a lead at least.

So what do you think girls? Do we try to follow William Madderah or does the evidence still point towards Benjamin?

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret glad to see you. Hadn't given up, I have uncovered a lot in the last few days. Trust me I took the maddrah line back to the 1600s.
Scenario 1.

It appears Ellen married Benjamin maddrah in 1839 and came here as Ellen Mather in 1840. Convict. They had a child Richard maddrah who died as an infant 1839. And she had Annie in her tummy and from there the rest we know except her birth.

Problems with scenario 1. The 1840 convict had a prior conviction in 1837 as Ellen Mather she wasn't married until 1839 but hence the child was born only a few oaths after or before the wedding. Don't have details on hand. Secondly if Annie was I her tummy then she would have been born in 1841 and there is no trace of her ever being born anyway.

Scenario 2. Ellen married Benjamin in 1839 and had Richard and the got here somehow. Buggers me. Met her brother in law William and ended up doing the hanky panky. And along came Annie still no birth record maybe the mother used the married name maddrah so as she didn't look bad back then.

Problems with this scenario 2. What happened to William? Other than that Ellen must have been a convict otherwise why would you up and leave your husband and come to Australia?

Scenario 3. Ellen came here somehow as Ellen bearcroft or whatever she wanted to be and met William maddrah and so forth

Problems with scenario 3. None, I just wish i knew which 1 it was.

Margaret I'm sorry for overlooking your info. Can you please get in contact and pm me your name and number, maybe we can have a chat on the phone. Some of your info might click with me.

And yes where in the world Did William madderah get to aftter  1836? yes Windsor isn't all that far from scone where Annie married her first husband. I'm really starting to think William is the father but surely he has other decendants. Id you have any photos of that era Margaret?

Definitely worth a try looking again Margaret. I'm coming to Sydney to the archives for a week in June. I'm hoping to find out info then

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:24 GMT (UK) »
The child of Ellen and Benjamin Richard was born in Apr,may,June quarter and they were married in the same quarter. So I guess they had to have been together a while, maybe Ellen convict is a possible

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

Patricks Plains is now called Tamworth and Bingara and Emmaville are both around 130kms away. 

Glad to see you back at it Outback.  Let me know if you need me to check any original docs from the C of E registers for the region (emmaville).   I will be at the regional archives from time to time through January.

Caroline
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Sunday 01 January 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ladies in 1848 in nsw. There is a erro. They have placed the name in the surname box. There is an Ann unknown, Ann being the surname with an unknown mother and father. This would coincide with margaretes theory Annie was only 13 or 14 when she was married for the first time. Also when married in 1869. She only aged by a few years and I believe that age also coincides? Anyone?