Author Topic: Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire? - COMPLETED  (Read 4384 times)

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire? - COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 26 November 09 05:29 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate some help from anyone local to Sheriff Hales/Shifnal area in locating Brockton Grange farm.  My gggrandfater Edwin Edwards is listed in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censii (plural of census?) as a farmer of 267 acres employing 8 men with the location shown as Brockton Grange, in the Civil Parish of Sheriff Hales, Shifnal, Staffordshire.  In the 1881 and 1891 censii, the location is reported as Brockton Grange, Sheriff Hales, Shifnal, Shropshire.   I have to admit that I find the different classifications of location somewhat confusing and I understand that Shifnal was moved from Straffordshire to Shropshire between 1871 and 1881, but I am uncertain as to the exact location of this Brockton Grange farm.   If I Google Brockton Grange, it comes up with some photos for a farm at OS Grid SJ7203, would this be the same farm as my gggrandfathers?   Any help would be most appreciated.    Tom  ???
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 November 09 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I understand that Shifnal was moved from Straffordshire to Shropshire between 1871 and 1881, but I am uncertain as to the exact location of this Brockton Grange farm.   If I Google Brockton Grange, it comes up with some photos for a farm at OS Grid SJ7203, would this be the same farm as my gggrandfathers
?

When councils move boundary lines its very confusing isn't it, They only move the boundary lines into another county,mostly for political reasons they dont move the farms.So the farm you have found is probably yours,someone will correct me if i am wrong

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, dirt is difficult to relocate, isn't it!!!   I'm afraid I wasn't very clear in my original post, my thinking was a little muddled.  However thank you for your reply and thank you for not laughing out loud!    :-[    I shall mark this completed and carry on searching.....    :D
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline Katieuk95

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire? - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I know this is a really old post, but I actually lived in Brockton Grange Farmhouse with my family only 3 years ago. To find it on google maps search the postcode TF11 8NN. It's part of Telford and Wrekin. I am messaging because I had an odd experience in that house. Ive never believed in ghosts until this and am still curious as to who I saw so am looking up its history. I was putting away laundry in my parents bedroom on the 3rd floor, and for a split second, I saw an old man perched on the side of my parents bed, he was wearing a white shirt, smart beige/brown trousers with braces and was looking down at his feet as was putting slippers on. I only saw him for a split second so wanderered if my mind was playing tricks but I know what I saw. I know this sounds crazy but it's interesting to hear about your grandfather who could fit the description of my "ghost". After I saw him, i couldn't sleep again in this house without a night light. Truth. Anyway, we loved living at this farmhouse, beautiful inside and out.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie2693

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Brockton Grange farm - Staffordshire or Shropshire? - COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 March 24 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My grandparents used to live at Brockton Grange farm. They used to have chickens, peacocks, pigs in the sty and used to grow all their own veg in a field behind the house and had orchards containing plums and apples. There was a pond with a little island in the middle with a wearing willow tree. I love that house. My brother and I used to spend our summers there with our nan and grandad who had a large family who all worked on the local farm milking. I believe all the barns have been done out since I was last there. I was born in 74 and my parents used to stay in one of the back rooms. The stair case was gorgeous. The bedrooms on the second floor were used by the family and they shared the rooms alot. The top floor was mai by used for storing apples etc or that's what I remember, I wasn't allowed up there. I have many lovely memories there. Could of been about the mid to late 80s when they left there. I'd love to see it now