Author Topic: Sea Fencibles  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Janet_smith35

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Fencibles
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 November 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Roy G would you be able to look up a name in the Sussex Sea Fencibles for me please.  It is William Street.  I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks

Offline jude de angulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 November 22 03:59 GMT (UK) »
hi roy, I m also researching Sussex Sea Fencibles, in particular their captain Sir Edmund Nagle .
How doI find any information about them online, as my searches have come up with almost zero. My interest in Nagle centres around his relaionship with the Regent who he served as valet n butler for about 20 yrs and who is the model for Blackadder the Third

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Jude,
First, a very warm welcome to Rootschat.

The Sir Edmund Nagle that "served" the Prince Regent was a distinguished British Admiral. He became a Lieutenant in the Navy in 1777, climbing through the ranks. In 1815 he was appointed to take command of the newly built Prince Regent's royal yacht "Prince George". He frequently accompanied the Prince Regent on social occasions.

When he died, March 1830, age 73, he was described as "Admiral Sir Edmund Nagle, K.C.B., one of the Grooms of his Majesty's Bedchamber" (The Examiner, 21 March 1830).

Struggling to find any reference to Sir Edmund's link, whilst in the Navy, to the Sussex Sea Fencibles. But there is very little out there anyway about this force.

What's the source of the "valet/butler" story?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 November 22 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Jude,
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/office-holders/vol11/pp20-24

This explains the duties of a Groom of the Chamber and includes the date that Sir Edmund Nagle was appointed to the position.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 November 22 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Jude,
Suspect you may already have this?

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_crewman&id=1424

I discovered this only after I had tracked his naval career from 1777 via various publications. At least my findings agree with the list.

Correction - revisiting the link and reading to the bottom of Edmund's history I have now spotted the name "Jude de Angulo"!!

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 November 22 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Didn't want to ignore your request, but it looks as though hanes teulu already has the matter well in hand.   Regards Roy

Offline jude de angulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 November 22 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I've a 102800 word dossier, some is at my Instagram childe_jude. I was specifically lacking in the Sea Fencibles role, but have found source material. Nagle was Regent George boon companion, and valet equery butler groom twenty years. I can email you the dossier judedeangulo@gmail.com

Offline jude de angulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 November 22 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Didn't want to ignore your request, but it looks as though hanes teulu already has the matter well in hand.   Regards Roy
hanes teulu was of no assistance, I was in particular after specific information about who was in the sussex(brighton) sea fencibles, and what they actually did, Captain Sproule I discovered was the major force there at before Nagle was appointed by the Admiralty during the Crisis. I found some sources after posting the request. Nagle set up camp at the Old Ships Inn and then became chums with Prince George from 1803 to 1830. Thats what the historical facts reveal, although one source says Nagle met George as early as 1795, although its only anecdotal. he was the commodore of the HMY Royal George, and Commander in Chief at Kieth, Guernsey, Newfoundland and Shoreham. He was mates of Mad George II and Sailor King William IV also

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 November 22 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I would liken the Sea fencibles to a maritime Home Guard, from what I've read one of the key reasons for joining was they were exempt from the Press Gangs (assuming they had the chance to explain)
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)