Author Topic: ALDERDICE of Derriaghy  (Read 19074 times)

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ALDERDICE of Derriaghy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 November 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
hi

What records did PRONI actually look up for you. Was it church records?

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
If the marriage had been found in the civil records only the fathers' names would have been listed. Since you are unable to find this marriage (doesn't seem to be in civil index and PRONI unable to find it) it's possible that they never married, that it's either been mis-indexed/not included in the index or that it was a Catholic ceremony (civil registration of Catholic marriages didn't start until 1864).

The record has been found somewhere as it is listed in Emerald Ancestors, but they don't give the details of families.

100% I know that John Partridge and his wife Jane Alderdice were married and belonged to the Church of Ireland.They were not Catholic.
Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thought you said in your 1st post "I have tried Emerald ancestors also."  ???
If you did find the marriage in Emerald Ancestors it should give exact date and place of marriage.

Just to clarify my previous statement- I said that it might have been a Catholic cerremony. One of them might have been Catholic and converted after the marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 November 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
hi

What records did PRONI actually look up for you. Was it church records?

John

I sent my money and request in to Proni to obtain John and Jane Partridge's marriage certificate. I did get my grandparents that way and the document states who the father is, the church name, attendants etc.

Jane Alderdice's family owned the Travellers Rest in Derriaghy. It is an over 300 year old Inn.

John Partridge was very high up in the Orange order so they were well known in their community. And he worked on the railway.And he was a land owner.

I don't know any siblings of John as I don't know his parents names. Ulster web site told me it was Edward, but that is all I know.
 I know that a lot of records were destroyed, but when you are married in the church or chapel there should be a record of it, unless a fire or?

As they lived in Derriaghy I would presume their church was Derriaghy Church of Ireland. Their two year old son's funeral was from there.

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 09 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thought you said in your 1st post "I have tried Emerald ancestors also."  ???
If you did find the marriage in Emerald Ancestors it should give exact date and place of marriage.

Just to clarify my previous statement- I said that it might have been a Catholic cerremony. One of them might have been Catholic and converted after the marriage.

I can no longer find the marriage on Emerald ancestors.

There was no conversion of religions here.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 November 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find this marriage at all on Emerald Ancestors so I'm a little puzzled by this thread.  Also all marriages I have looked up on the site give an exact date and place of marriage - unless you don't have a subscription (but in that case it only gives county and year - not parish and religion - and doesn't give both surnames).

For registered events (such as post 1845 non-catholic marriages) GRONI is the place to order certificates from, not PRONI.  For marriages, if you have the exact date and place (from Emerald Ancestors), it's much cheaper to order the certificate from the district registrar (Emerald also tells you which one, but Lisburn covers Derriaghy).  Also note that while the family may have attended one church (usually the husband's family church), they are often married in the bride's family church which maybe different - even if they are both Church of Ireland.

I did find the following in the civil registration indexes:

Jane Alderdice, Marriage, Lisburn District, 1850 Vol 7 p73

which would allow you to order her marriage certificate from GRONI, but no Partridge has the same reference so presumable this Jane married someone different or John used a different spelling of his surname.

You can search for yourself free at:-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

Another option would be to search the Belfast Newsletter for a marriage notice - I think there is a subscription site which has indexed this 1740-1900.  If the family was prominent locally, a newspaper announcement is a reasonable possibility.

Good luck in your search.

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 November 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
. William INNIS . Drumbo son of James Innis ; married Jane Alderdice 7 Mar 1850

So you needn't send for the certificate of that marriage.
Jane's father was George, farmer

Have you seen this website??  The names Alderdice and Partridge appear here.

http://www.lisburn.com/books/derriaghy/derriaghy5.html

RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I have been on so many sites including emerald ancestors, as a member and didn't write down where I found the the information. I did find other family members in E.A
 At any rate there has to be somewhere where this man, John Partridge is registered. He lived all of his life in one area.
One wonders why PRONI wouldn't pass my request on to GRONI.

There are several Jane Alderdices from N.Ireland, it's possible it was a different one than my relative. :)
Don't you find it odd that a bride was mentioned but no groom?

No person by the name of John Partridge was found on the site that you offered. Odd as there must be 50 John Partridges on other sites.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 December 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
There are several Jane Alderdices from N.Ireland, it's possible it was a different one than my relative.
Don't you find it odd that a bride was mentioned but no groom?

Are you refering to this?
I did find the following in the civil registration indexes:
Jane Alderdice, Marriage, Lisburn District, 1850 Vol 7 p73

which would allow you to order her marriage certificate from GRONI, but no Partridge has the same reference so presumable this Jane married someone different or John used a different spelling of his surname.
You can search for yourself free at:-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

Brides and Grooms are indexes separately in civil index (akanex2 has given the link for it) but think that entry has been ruled out by this information from RosemaryJoan-
William INNIS . Drumbo son of James Innis ; married Jane Alderdice 7 Mar 1850
So you needn't send for the certificate of that marriage.
Jane's father was George, farmer
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!