Author Topic: Scots Guards 5th Ski battalion 1940, 2nd battalion 1940/43  (Read 33075 times)

Offline Chris Rooney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scots Guards 5th Ski battalion 1940, 2nd battalion 1940/43
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
that looks like the same brick wall in my pics

Offline Chris Rooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
i wonder if we can motivate the Scots guards to look at their records

Offline Chris Rooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 01:14 BST (UK) »
I notice in one Picture that Stirling's cousin Maxwell has Sargeant's stripes on his great coat but Stirling has not.
i wonder if he lost them, all the reports about his early days were that he was pretty uninterested and like to go out  partying and gambling.

Offline Cankiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 02:49 BST (UK) »
i wonder if we can motivate the Scots guards to look at their records

I will email and ask the association how to go about this. lets see what happens. They have a newsletter too, might be worth trying that as well.

Offline Cankiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
A further reference is in Durand and Hastings The London Rifle Brigade 1919-1950. Two of their officers (one of whom was Freddie Gough, later of 1 Abn Recce Sqn fame) joined them.

There was a fairly large British contingent that did get to Finland as 'volunteers'  - One man John Summers had his F/S dagger and browning P35 pistol confiscated by customs in Scotland.

Offline Chris Rooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
When the Second World War began, Gough was recalled from the Territorial Army Reserve of Officers and as a Captain rejoined the London Rifle Brigade, posted to H Company of the 2nd Battalion. However two months after the Russian invasion of Finland in December 1939, the British government expressed a desire of lending clandestine support to the Finns, and so Gough left the London Rifle Brigade in favour of the 5th (Ski) Battalion of the Scots Guards. This was an experimental unit, a factor which no doubt attracted the adventurous Gough who was not in the least deterred by obligatory loss of rank, and it consisted entirely of volunteers who were experienced in skiing and mountaineering. Needless to say this unit attracted a wide range of characters who went on to achieve distinction with such pioneering units as the Chindits and the SAS; among them was David Stirling, the founder of the Special Air Service. After a period of intense training and a brief spell in the French Alps, it was planned that the force would be posted to Norway in March, from where they would make their way to Finland to help fight the Soviet invasion. However on the eve of setting sail there came the news that the situation in Finland was fast becoming hopeless, and so the operation was cancelled. Gough returned to the London Rifle Brigade,

Offline Bob Pearson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Chris,

Many thanks for sharing your photographs off the 5th Battalion at Chamonix. Currently, I am carrying out research in to the 5th Battalion and in particular three men who were Polar explorers - Captain Martin Lindsay, Freddie Spencer Chapman and Colour Sgt Quintin Riley.

The research is part of a book concerning the war of Patrick Dalzel-Job with a considerable section on Norway where PDJ, Lindsay and Riley were closely linked.

If its any help, I have the titles of books which may help you further with your research and the role of the 5th Battalion.

Kind regards

Bob

Offline Cankiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

For what it's worth, I did a fair bit of digging on the 5th Battalion last year, much of it with Chris's help, working thru the list of names that Chris provided. Results are available on the link below

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=172747&p=1703821&hilit=scots+guards#p1703821
- just keep in mind that the writeup is part of an alaternative history so bits and pieces have been "tweaked" with regard to Finland.

Re titles of books, would be VERY interested in those if you could post them.

Cheers..............Nigel

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for sharing your photographs off the 5th Battalion at Chamonix. Currently, I am carrying out research in to the 5th Battalion and in particular three men who were Polar explorers - Captain Martin Lindsay, Freddie Spencer Chapman and Colour Sgt Quintin Riley.

The research is part of a book concerning the war of Patrick Dalzel-Job with a considerable section on Norway where PDJ, Lindsay and Riley were closely linked.

If its any help, I have the titles of books which may help you further with your research and the role of the 5th Battalion.

Kind regards

Bob

Offline Andrew Morrison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 23 November 13 07:11 GMT (UK) »

Donald Morrison was my grandfather. Send me an email if you have any questions and I would like to ask you a couple as well.  Thanks!

MOD COMMENT: Emeail address removed as per Rootschat anti-spam policy.
Please use PM System for exchanging personal information