Author Topic: COMPLETE 1871 census look up - GUTHRIE  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/71 census look up - GUTHRIE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 November 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I have just put a post up on the Occupations Board,for the occ of Cramar (mer cervil),I have racked my brain and hubbies also, but we cannot think what type of occ that was, any ideas

Fiona ... you obviously got this occupation from A*******.co.uk who, I've found, are notorious for just copying down what words looks like on the Census Register page(s)  ;)

I think you'll find is should read "Seaman (Mer Service) ... 'Mer' being the abreviation for 'Merchant'

Regards  :)

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census look up - GUTHRIE
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 November 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear :)

After a request for a census look up,as I do not have an A.sub,a kind Rootschatter posted census info for me with the info containing occ as Cramar (mer Cervil),presumably from A*. With the help of other Rootschatters now found occ of a Cramer as being a stall holder/pedlar. I agree and had thought myself "mer cervil" as being Merchant Service and as my ancestor in1859 (on his sons marriage record) occ was given as Sailor think Merchant Service is correct,occ on his death record 1876 as Vintner. I think Cramer is highly likely as ancestor lived in a fishing village and would have all from the sea to sell, not so sure about a Cramer being in the Merchant Service though :). Have you seen the census and it looks like Seaman to you.

Fiona

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 November 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Fiona

No, I haven't seen the actual Census - but having looked at umpteen A* 'offerings' I've found quite a number of them to be 'questionable' - but if you could scan and upload the section where his occupation is shown, then it would be easier to help you.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
wish I could but alas I do not have A* sub,info was from a request I asked for, a look up for the 1861/71 census. I think it does make sense in what you are suggesting occ as Seaman given Walter was a Sailor in 1859 but since the word Cramer has been mentioned that also could make sense given Largo was a fishing village,although I had never heard of a Cramer before and now knowing the meaning, it is feasible. Would  love to know the answer

Fiona

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

This is your lucky day :)  St Andrews University has a full Fife Census collection on microfilm so I popped in earlier and got a copy of the page in question from 1861

My theory about A* was correct ;) as you'll see from the enlarged secton of the page (attached here)

Interestingly there were a number of Guthrie families in the same Enumeration District as Walter and family and the 'Head' was mainly shown as 'Fisherman'.  One was a 'Weaver'.

Hope this answers your question

Regards

Chiad Fhear

PS  I will send the full page to you by PM

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
many thanks Chaid Fhear for 1861 census with occ as Seaman Merchant Service.

Fiona

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE 1871 census look up - GUTHRIE
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have been able to help you Fiona :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
GUTHRIE - Largo
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Don :)

Welcome to Rootschat

any particular Guthrie family from Largo you are interested in ?

Fiona

Offline Hautere Don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE 1871 census look up - GUTHRIE
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

My great grandfather Henry was born in Largo in 1837. I have some of the family tree back from there to Walter (b 1807) and Henry (b.1781) m Elizabeth Lundy. Nothing prior to that though. I have some information on Henry (b.1837) and descendents that was given to me by a family member who researched it all some years ago that I could share - or maybe this will all be recorded here already?

Sorry for the numpty questions but I'm completely new to all this - is there a database of Guthries somewhere I could view or download? I just tripped across this forum in a Google search, haven't explored the rest of it yet...

Cheers