Author Topic: mclarens perthshire  (Read 72909 times)

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens perthshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 December 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
hello lori
    it gets very complicated before 1800 with old parish records.  if it is donald maclaren of invernenty, that you are looking for contact the clan mclaren society in scotland. ref this site.

http://www.clanmaclarensociety.com/

their records will be second to none for donald of invernenty. to give you a small insight in to my family tree i have 5 donald mclarens in my direct lineage.
i take it you are related to the mclarens of the brudenell island area. if you have more info post away , it may be of interest to someone , even a small part.
                                                         creag an tuirc    gordon mclaren  :)

Offline vwoman8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 December 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Yup!  Proud decendant of Brudenell Pioneers-specifically, James M. McLaren and Belle (isabelle) MacDonald. When I was a kid, growing up in Maine, we went to PEI often, and one of our trips was to the Brudenell area.  Wish I knew then what I know now!!

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 December 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
hi lori
           my line never got out of perthshire , balquidder being only about 45 miles away from blairgowrie where i stay. for me it's when you get down to individual farms and houses , still in existence at lochearnhead , it makes all the searching worthwhile. my g/ grandfather was the last member of our family to speak gaelic in our line , he died in 1958 , i wish that had not been lost.   all the best for 2010.     gordon

Offline Easterachraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I am the present owner of Briar Cottage(Which was called Easter Achraw until Isabella McLaren renamed it in 1900). We live in the B listed restored longhouse and have a stone holiday cottage on the grounds. Our website www.stayatbriar.co.uk does have a picture of the thatched cottage in the gallery and some in my blog on the site.  I just noticed your post from November last year.  I have a booklet from the Maclaren society that mentions 200 years of the McLarens that lived in this house. I was visited by the niece of the last lady to live here and she recently provided more information about her aunts and uncles. The booklet names Archibald and Margaret Kings birth and marriage dates plus information on their six sons and 3 daughters.  It discusses the migration of the McLarens from Lochearnside including Dalveich, Wester and Easter Achraw.   I am happy to share anything that I can(even though I am Clan Donald by birth).  There is an old McLaren burial site at Leckine where some of your ancestors are buried.  Also, try www.clanmaclarensociety.com.  Email me at (*) with any specific queries ,names and dates if I can help Archibald bSept 1761, d 1840's m 14 jan 1797 to Margaret King b 4 Feb 1776 d 1840's

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Easterachraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Gordon just noticed your query re Catherine.  Archibald and Margaret King had a daughter Catherine who died 21 jan 1867.  Her sister Margaret married a John Bain and they had 6 children one of them being called Catherine. This Catherine married Donald McLaren and they settled in Dalviech and had 3 sons, Donald Archibald and Duncan.   The 2nd Catherine was born 8 sept 1842 .

Kim

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I was drawn to your thread because I too have got missing Brown/Ferguson records for Thornhill in the late 1700's and today I learnt from Stirling archives that their unpublished Perthshire records do include for Thornhill but not the era I'm interested in.

Apologies if you've already done this but have you thought to look on the National Archives of Scotland website:
http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

There's over 900 results for just McLaren;  but you can cut that down to a manageable result by adding an extra word - e.g. (in find all words) McLaren Killin got 14 results - one of which is below:

<<Petition of Donald McLaren, son of Duncan McLaren, villager in Killin, soldier in Captain Duncan Campbell's company of the second battalion, which is to go to Dumfries the next day, soliciting to be exchanged into the first battalion, being aged only 16 and with none of his parish born companions with him>>
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Easterachraw for the pics!
I am descended from Stewarts from Wester Achraw (any pics of that?) and Mclarens from Invernenty and Craigrui..... also McFarlanes and Kings and Mcgregors from Balquhidder.
Great job on restoring the cottage.
Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Easterachraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I dont have pictures however the old cottages along the road on the A85 (now Castleview) were part of the Achraw crofting area and there is a road up the back with name Wester Achraw. A house positioned on this map shows Wester Achraw house in that area.  Achraw Brae is now modern houses but on the old achraw farming land.  You will see our holiday Cottage Little Briar" pinpointed on the map and the old thatched cottage in front of it.  Old maps spell Achraw as Achra

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=wester%20achraw&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Offline gordon44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mclarens pertby dhshire
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
hello and thanks to easterachraw  , rena and valr , more information and more steps in my family tree.  i will be joining the mclaren clan society shortly , because they obviously have a considerable amount of knowledge , regarding mclaren ancestors.
i take it the book you have easterachraw is the last maclarens of ardveich by Dr A A McLaren , which i saw on their website. the catherine mclaren who died in jan 1867 was my g/g/g grandmother , her death being registered by Donald McLaren her son , who was at Dundurn farm , east of lochearnhead at this time. this donald was the one who made all the moves with his family , until ultimately coming to Meikleour estate about 1890.
the catherine bain who married another donald mclaren , coincidentally! has the same names for her sons as her aunt catherine.
many thanks again for your help , i have a lot of travelling to do in western perthshire over the summer , it'll keep me busy.        gordon :)