Author Topic: Falster-Valentine in Wales  (Read 7191 times)

Offline jonchr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Falster-Valentine in Wales
« on: Sunday 29 November 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
A norwegian sailor John F Falster, married Catherine from Ireland i Cardiff, and they got a daughter Mary Kate in 1901.
The mother died in 1902. Mary Kate married William J Valentine in 1927.
Then I cant find more. Can anyone help?
Yours
Jon from Norway

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Falster-Valentine in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

:)

Welcome to Rootschat.

The FreeBMD www.freebmd.org.uk has the reference for the marriage as follows:-

Dec 1900
John Frederick Falster
Catherine Welsh
Cardiff 11a 552

The certificate can be ordered online from www.gro.gov.uk and will cost £7.00.  This will tell you the names and occupations of both of their fathers.  You will then be able to search for John Frederick's birth in Norway and Catherine's birth in Waterford, Ireland.

I can see John Frederick and his family on the 1901 Wales Census:-

8 Adelaide Street, Cardiff
John F Falster 26 head able seaman born Norway
Kate Falster 23 wife born Waterford, Ireland
Mary K Falster 2 months born Cardiff

Class: RG13; Piece: 4982; Folio: 76; Page: 5.

Catherine was also known as Kate and the census gives approximately dates of births for John and Catherine as 1875 and 1878.  Catherine's year of birth on her death registration is also 1878.

Mary Kate's birth was registered Mar 1901 Cardiff 11a 372.  As she was already 2 months old when the census was taken she was probably born quite early in 1901.

Catherine's death was registered Dec 1902 Cardiff 11a 207.  A copy of the death certificate will give a cause of death.

On the A******y there is a WW1 Draft Registration Card 1917-1918 in the name of John Frederick Falster which gives the city of residence as Suffolk, Massachusetts.  Unfortunately my level of subscription will not allow me further information on this.

Although I can see the Falster/Valentine marriage on the FreeBMD, I can't see any Valentine/Falster births.

May be they emigrated  ???  I can't see either John Frederick or his daughter on the 1911 census but Mary Kate was in Cardiff again by 1927 to get married  ???

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline jonchr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
:) Thank you for the prompt answer! I have access to Ancestry, som I knew most of the information. Its odd: John registered for WW1 the same day with 3 of his brothers who had emigrated in 1902/03! I know all his Norwegian ancestors.
But how can I search for Kate and William and their descendants? They are relatively near family!
Again thanks for your interest and help!
Yours Jon

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

:)

As there don't seem to be any of William and Mary Kate's children registered in England and Wales, it seems to me they must have gone overseas again.

If you are a direct descendant and you are in Norway - did they go back to Norway?  Or maybe you should be looking for them in America?

I would suggest making posts on both the USA and Europe boards.

It seems a bit strange to me that if Mary Kate emigrated with her father, why she came back to Cardiff to get married?  There must have been a strong link with Cardiff.

Do you know or think there are any members of the family left in Cardiff?  May be a letter to the local newspaper with an appeal for information might help.  I had a really good response when I did something similar in a Lancashire newspaper.

Best of luck with your searching.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 09 11:34 GMT (UK) »
This is already in Beginners Board so making posts on other boards will probably only cause needless confusion, especially since it's not even know if they did leave the country. It is possible that Mary Kate and William did not have any family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - only trying to help.  I thought it was possible to link posts between the boards to avoid such confusion.

Of course it is a possibility that they didn't have any children.  Maybe Jon should check for deaths in England and Wales before looking overseas  ???.
If there are no deaths then surely it must be likely that they left the country.

Luzzu

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
It is also possible that with mother Kate having died the year after Mary's birth and father John a sailor, that Mary remained in Cardiff or surrounding area and brought up by mother's relatives or someone connected to her family.

With father John's occupation, unlikely he would be in a position to look after a young child following wife's death. He is also showing in the US, still a sailor, for his WW1 draft.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes I thought something along those lines and also I thought it was unusual to emigrate and then return to get married but couldn't see her at all in the 1911 census unless she is hiding in there somewhere  :).

Luzzu

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 09 12:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a death registered in 1990 in Merthyr Tydfil, Mid Glamorgan for a Mary Kate Valentine - birth shows as 18 Jan 1901. A possibility perhaps.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk