Author Topic: From Flanders to The Somme...Your photographs.  (Read 27603 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: From Flanders to The Somme...Your photographs.
« Reply #72 on: Friday 04 December 09 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi This is for Kiwi.. Please pm me with an email address and I'll email you  the bigger versions for printing .. I dont want to intrude on this thread with any enhanced versions but just to show that I can change the perspective on the panels that are higher up if required and make them appear rectangular . If anyone needs help on the one or two fainter versions just pm me ..   I've used the lighting to focus gently on the area that includes the name especially pertinent to KP  tis entirely optional  takes seconds to add it or remove it ..
Once again Genjen ... You have been extremely generous  with your time and dedication for this cause .. and the photos have been outstanding in their quality and  composition ..  Hats off to you ! :)
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 04 December 09 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow ........ sure makes a difference, what patience and talent you have.

PM on the way.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 04 December 09 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your lovely comments. I have sent a PM to Poll about enhance photos because I would like to be able to see what is possible with the less clear ones. But have suggested that if they are going on to this thread, it might be at the end, if that's ok with everyone. I have quite a few more to add yet!

I'm going to finish the Tyne Cot section with one taken outside the cemetery gates. It had rained heavily and although not constantly, it was plainly enough to recreate the field conditions of 1917. Here is some Flanders mud. Imagine having to live, eat, sleep and fight in this.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 04 December 09 08:59 GMT (UK) »
By the time we had finished at Tyne Cot, my camera had decided to die, so the last shot - of the mud - and the next couple of graves, were taken on my partner's camera.

It was still only about midday, though we had already seen and done quite a lot. From Tyne Cot, we went to the Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke, where there were more harrowing and moving scenes and exhibits, including a reconstruction of a dug-out, which showed the cramped and unpleasant conditions in which men had to live. You can read about it on: http://www.passchendaele.be/

We went back into Ypres, where we visited Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, which is actually in the town. Here is Henry Baldwin for kerryb
On the longer shot photograph, his grave is on the second row.

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 04 December 09 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jen, very much appreciated. 

The cemetery really is in the centre of town, I wonder how many people rush by each day and ever stop to give these boys a thought. 

After reading this thread and seeing all the photos I really want to visit myself one day. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 04 December 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
So, with a camera which needed a re-charged battery and clothes which needed drying out, we went back to the hotel, had a quick change and then back out to the Cloth Hall museum in the main square. It is hard to believe that Ieper was totally destroyed during the war years and that all the beautiful and apparently ancient buildings are, in fact, reconstructions. The Cloth Hall is magnificent and testimony to the people of Belgium that they weren't prepared to put up with some modern replacement of this beautiful town but wanted it back to how it had once been.

Sorry, no photographs - it was another of those occasions when I just wanted to take it all in and by now the afternoon was rapidly disappearing, so we took this last couple of hours to go around at our own pace. On arriving at the museum, we were  each given a small card with a name and bar code on it and at intervals around the museum, there were computers which, when the card was inserted, gave a detailed history of the person on the card and how they spent the war. I was a woman who had already emigrated to America before the outbreak of war but who came back, with her brothers, to serve her country. She survived and went back to America where she lived to a ripe old age. My partner's character was not so happy. He served throughout the war years and died, weeks before the end of the conflict.

This was a museum which needs re-visiting. The exhibits were wonderful and terrible. The sound effects were truly terrifying, especially the shell which exploded as I was quietly reading some piece of information. One was enough for me - how every one of those poor men didn't suffer shell-shock is an absolute mystery.

At another point, I was looking at another exhibit when I became aware of the fact that I was reciting, along with the audio-visual display behind me, one of Wilfred Owen's war poems. I studied these for A level English, a very long time ago and was amazed to find that this particular poem was still very firmly in my head. Although his writing style never appealed to me ( too much use of alliteration for me), the subject matter was always one which I found compelling, even as a shallow, self-obsessed teenager.

So that is the end of the second day. Mercifully, we didn't have to eat in the ludicrously expensive restaurant again as the little bistro by the Menin Gate was open. If you are going to Ieper and want a simple but very well prepared meal, at a sensible price, can I recommend Poppies, which in spite of its touristy name proved to be more than acceptable.

I'm not sure when I will get to posting Day 3 - I have a very busy weekend ahead of me. But if your photograph hasn't appeared yet, don't panic - it will be here eventually.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 04 December 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Kerry - all of the cemeteries we visited were beautifully tended and extremely peaceful. The important thing seemed to me that there was no sign of any graffiti, litter or deliberate damage of any sort. I think that although people might not visit the graves, the cemeteries are respected and the good citizens of Ieper are hardly allowed to forget -what with the main road out of town coming to a total standstill every night of the year!

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 04 December 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I have only just found this thread and it is totally,totally amazing!

My great uncle Bernard was a stretcher bearer and was shot while carrying a stretcher. I've often wondered about the amount of courage it must have took to walk out into no mans land,unarmed,not knowing what was waiting there for you and the answer is of course that Bernard and all these men possessed the most amazing courage.

A thank you doesn't seem enough to say to you Jen but that is all I can say so "thank you"! But you can have some of these because you deserve them; :-* :-* :-*

Tony

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 04 December 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
GenJen, What a lovely person you are for doing this for everyone.  I, like everyone else reading this thread am astounded by your kindness.   

Thank You.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe