Author Topic: Ceeoh's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19015 times)

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ceeoh's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #108 on: Monday 14 December 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
Sorry that i missed the hunt, but i went on the wrong thread.
I have quite a bit of info on this Burnside line, although i dont think it would have helped. Ihave been in touch with "Stroudie" for quite a time and was pleased to see how she and "ceeoh" had mustered the interest and help.
  At this point i would like to stress the importance of keeping any records,photos etc. Several years ago me eldest brother died and his son told me he was selling the family bible for ten pounds. I wasnt interested in Genealogy then but offered him a hundred,( being disgusted).which he refused. He no longer has it. The bible was  from my Grandad Mcdonald, down from the Burnsides(Benjamin) who was Marys brother. I cannot remember anything written, except there was about 10-12 entries.
What a sin!!
I see you are still getting wrong info. Ambrose married to Alice was  Ambrose from Shincliffe sister of Elizabeth1808 who later married Robinson Lindsley, whos dau. Dinah married the above Benjamin( that wasnt the only inter marriage.
               Good fun IT HELPS TO STOP YOU GOING SANE!!!!
                                  Fred

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 14 December 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

Thank you for your contributions to the other threads. I am presently trying to collate all my old notes and then I may be back with more questions.

How tragic about the family bible. sadly, we have never had anything written to go by, but on the other side of my family, a collection of postcards belonging to my granny's sister were sold to a dealer and I couldn't find out where they had gone and i was gutted. I felt their previous owner would have given them to me, if she could have anticipated this.

However, your comments raised an interesting thought. Do you know what was the general level of literacy among the Burnsides? Both Mary Smith and her son Joseph signed their marriage certificates with x, so one assumes they were illiterate. It won't make any difference either way, but is another point of interest.
Best wishes
Julie

Offline ajo20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 09 June 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
hi ceeoh, my wife is currently researching our joint family trees, Charles and Mary Grout are my great great grandparents, John William Grout is my great grandfather, he's the brother of your George (who was the landlord of the Anchor pub, Belmangate Guisborough). You are welcome to look at our tree Carney Gallacher Tree on Ancestry.com
Hary G.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hello - what a pleasant surprise after all this time.
Not sure if I can access your tree on Ancestry, I do not have a sub to that website.  I will try.
I have a 70 page family register for the Grout family - not up to date I'm afraid but lots of information.
John William (1865) married Margaret Elizabeth Cotts or Coates.  Sons Joseph 1886, (Charles 1892 - 1892), John W 1897, George 1899 and Alec 1906.  Which one is your grandfather?
Many thanks for your input, will try your Ancestry tree.

Regards  Ceeoh

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hello to you Hary

As you will see from previous messages. I am also connected to this ( huge!) family my g grandfather was Edward Gout who was the brother of John William.

I have looked on Ancestry and I find a Carney tree that gives Bella Grout m John Gallacher 1920. But no parents details. I think this may not be yours.

I would be most interested to know if you know any more of Mary Ann Grout ( formerly Smith). I have some theories, but we have drawn a blank on any concrete evidence.

Ceeoh and myself have been collaborating for some years and have probably pieced together a great deal of the rest.

Best wishes
Julie

Offline ajo20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 15 June 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is all fascinating stuff! Our tree on ancestry is 'Carney Gallacher.' we had very little knowledge of the Grout family and are overwhelmed by the enormity of it.  Every day we seem to be saying "Wow" and we are sure you have more facts that will make this continue.  Harry's Great Grandad is John William.

We look forward to the next instalment!

Harry and Sandra