Author Topic: Bright's and Bentley's Of Huntingdonshire.  (Read 28193 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bright's and Bentley's Of Huntingdonshire.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindajae

Sure did. This is what I have:

I.  William BRIGHT was born circa 1762.  He married Susanna
ARCHDEACON on 2 May 1784 at Somersham, Hunts.  He married Sarah WINGRAVE, daughter of Jonas WINGRAVE and Elizabeth ALPHERY, on 22 Oct 1787 at Somersham, Hunts.

A.  John BRIGHT was born in Dec 1785 at Somersham, Hunts. He was buried on 26 Jan 1786 at Somersham, Hunts.

B.  Elizabeth BRIGHT was christened on 22 Nov 1789 at Somersham, Hunts.  She married Thomas Gilbert LANGSTON, son of John LANGSTON and Ann WINTER, on 12 May 1817 at  Brampton, Hunts.  She was buried on 31 Aug 1824 at Brampton, Hunts.

1.  Charles Gilbert LANGSTON was born on 14 Mar 1819 at Brampton, Hunts.  He married Mary BRANDES in Mar 1846 at Bermondsey.   He married Mary Ann NEWNHAM in Mar       1855 at Shoreditch, Middlesex.  He died before 1871.

2.  Catherine Anne LANGSTON was christened on 17 Dec 1820 at Brampton, Hunts. 

3.  William LANGSTON was born on 27 Mar 1822 at Brampton, Hunts.

4.  John LANGSTON was christened on 31 Aug 1823 at Brampton, Hunts.  He was buried on 23 Nov 1826 at Brampton, Hunts.

C.  Susanna BRIGHT was christened on 20 Mar 1791 at Somersham, Hunts.

D.  Mary BRIGHT was christened on 27 Aug 1792 at Somersham, Hunts. She married John MERRILL, son of John   MERRILL and Elizabeth CARTER, in 1816 at All Saints & St John, Huntingdon.   She married John RICHARDSON on 30 Nov 1824 at Caxton.  She was buried on 13 Sep 1868 at Caxton, Cambs.

E.  Sarah BRIGHT was christened on 1 Feb 1795 at Somersham, Hunts.  She married Robert LONGLAND in 1819 at Hemingford Abbots, Hunts. 

1.  Ann LONGLAND was born in 1821 at Caxton, Cambs.

2.  James LONGLAND was born in 1822 at Godmanchester, Hunts.  He married Elizabeth BASTERFIELD on 11 Apr 1841 at St Paul, Bedford. 

3.  Elizabeth LONGLAND was born in 1825 at Godmanchester, Hunts.

4.  Charles LONGLAND was born in 1829 at Godmanchester, Hunts.  He married Ann LIQUORISH in Sep 1850 at Northampton. 

5.  Henry LONGLAND was born in 1831 at Godmanchester, Hunts.

6.  William LONGLAND was christened on 4 Feb 1832 at Godmanchester, Hunts.

7.  Sarah LONGLAND was born in 1833 at Godmanchester, Hunts.

F.  William BRIGHT was christened on 23 Sep 1798 at Somersham, Hunts. He married Elizabeth CORKETT on 10 Oct 1820 at Caxton, Cambs.   He married Elizabeth COCKSELL in Dec 1852.  He died in Jun 1875 at Bourn, Cambs

1.  Charlotte BRIGHT was christened on 12 Aug 1821 at Caxton, Cambs.

2.  David BRIGHT was christened on 11 Jan 1824 at Caxton, Cambs.

3.  Amelia BRIGHT was christened on 5 Feb 1826 at Caxton, Cambs.

4.  Mary Ann BRIGHT was christened on 5 May 1828 at Caxton, Cambs. She was buried on 12 Oct 1851 at Caxton, Cambs.

5.  John BRIGHT was born in 1835 at Caxton, Cambs.  He married Sarah BLOWS in Dec 1858 at Caxton reg district, Cambs.  He died in Dec 1910 at Caxton reg district, Cambs.

G.  Ann BRIGHT was christened on 28 Aug 1803 at Somersham, Hunts.  Unmarried.  She was buried on 30 Jul 1871 at  Brampton, Hunts.

Unfortunately I've been unable to trace the Brights back any further

Regards

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline lindajae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 March 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
David:
Thank you so much for your response.  I am sorry to say the dates are not matching with my William Bright mentioned in this string.  Nor are my Bright's from Caxton. 

BUT...  I'm keeping the info because some of the spouses last names look familiar.  And maybe there is a connection somewhere. 

You sure are a great source of genealogy knowledge.  You are certainly able to provide awesome information that has been searched for years.  All the other info in this string you provided helped me out greatly.  Thank you for contributing your time helping us find our way home....

LindaJae

Offline aleeden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 August 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
I just thought I would throw my two cents into the ring and see what happens.  I am a Leeden that traces back to the Leeding's.  We connect to the Bentley's thus. 

Thomas Leeding m.Ann Southwell in 19/19/1742 Yaxley. They had 8 children. 

Their youngest,Samuel Leeding m.Sarah Clay 19/7/1784 Holywell.  They had 7 children who's last names changed to Leeden.

The youngest was also named Samuel Leeden who m.Sarah Bass 18/12/1810 Oldhurst.  This is where the connection comes in.  Their children were in order:

Elizabeth     14/11/1813 Oldhurst
Mary Ann    18/1/1816 Oldhurst
Phoebe       29/6/1819 Oldhurst
Sally           29/7/1821 Warboys
Charlotte    4/5/1913 Oldhurst
William       5/9/1829 Warboys

Charlotte Leeden m.George Bentley (bn.6/4/1825)

Charlotte and George had 5 children:
Mary Elizabeth Bentley m.William Bright
George Bentley m.Mary Bird
Benjamin Leeden Bentley m.Elizabeth Jane Burton
Rebecca Bentley m.Joseph Caddy
Julia Bentley m.John Caddy

The only child that our tree continues on it that of Benjamin.  Benjamin had three kids:
George Edward Bentley m.Agnes Kate Weeks
Gabriel Bentley
Benjamin Bentley

This is where it gets interesting.  For some reason George and Agnes's kids took the Leeden last name.

I will have to read back over past posts to see where everything fits in but it looks like we may have some interesting cross over here.

Austen

Offline Bessybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fen Lane Needingworth Hunts
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
In 1881 my gran's family REYNOLDS was also living in Fen Lane .Next week I have the opportunity to go to Needingworth for the first time .But I cannot find Fen Lane on the map .It seems to be a very short road off Church Lane & the pub Lion & Lamb seems to have gone or been renamed .Can anyone help please ?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 October 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Peter Jarman on another board gave you the following information

"Looking at the enumerators route in 1881 - Church Lane (which is from Holywell), then Lion & Lamb, Fen Lane, then 3 other houses in Fen Lane, then Chapel Close. Enumerators didn't always do their rounds in a logical progression.

So it could be that small passage leading left out of Chapel Close
connecting with the High Street?

There is a Google reference regarding Recreation Ground and Sewage Works as being in Fen Lane as recently as 1951, this would make it the major road below Chapel Close

There is a Holywell-cum-Needingworth Parish Council web site, it may be worth your while contacting them."

Did you contact the parish council?

In post #15 below the Lion and Lamb was in High St in 1861

Googling Fen Lane Needingworth throws up a Cambs CC online catalogue reference for Title Deed: Recreation ground (Malting Close), Fen Lane, Needingworth. Malting Close seems to ba at the end of Park View, off Church St. Was Park View formerly Fen Lane? See http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/birdseye/5-the-maltings/needingworth/st-ives/huntingdon/pe27-4td/18215818 for an aerial view

Enjoy your visit

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Bessybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fen Lane .
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 October 10 06:32 BST (UK) »
I thought at first it must be the unamed rd South of Chapel close
But because there were so few houses & the mention of the pub I now think it was a very small one .Presumably church st =church Lane .