Author Topic: Ranulph FITZALAN - Fact or Fiction?  (Read 29125 times)

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rev. John Kerr (great-grandfather)
    • View Profile
Re: Ranulph FITZALAN - Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 August 10 04:42 BST (UK) »
Great find, Connellaw!  But there is one other inconsistency:  the wife of Sir William FitzAlan KG.  One chart lists her as Agnes and the other as Christina.

I'm beginning to put more credence in the theory that Sir William d'Arundel was the father of Ranulf, but the armorial information and timeline of the generations still leaves some doubts ... But every new bit of evidence helps tremendously.
Scotland:  Kerr, Bell, Tweedie, Johnstone, Carruthers, Moffat, Jardine
England:  Willis, Outhwaite, Groves, Masters, Kentish, Jenner
Germany:  Pellman (Pöhlman), Schimmel, Meier (Meyer)
BeNeLux:  Trum, Kurt, Hamburg

Offline connellaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 02:34 BST (UK) »
I was able to locate from a publication titled MISCELLANEA GENEALOGICA et HERALDICA Vol. IV (full view of this text using google book search online is available), page 98-100, a family tree further corroborating the Fitzalan-Coleridge connection.  There are still a few discrepancies, but this text offers detailed evidence (page 98) in a paragraph/footnote describing, in addition to other items of interest, an "Authentick Booke of pedigrees remaining in the Office of Armes marked on the cover ... of William Arundell & Christian [Christina] his wife & of Ralph Arundell theyr son & Julyan [Juliana] his wife and of Alice theyr da and heyre that maried Bartholmew Collingridge contractedly called Colridge...", etc, etc, etc.  Thought this would be of further assistance/interest to us all in piecing this together. please see below for copies of this family tree.

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!  I've seen this quoted before, but never had a look at the actual document myself.

Offline strathbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 September 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
Am new to Rootschat, but thank you to all those who have done research into this subject. Am really wanting to find an answer so I can finalise my family tree, before my time is up.  :D One Question: the spelling of Arundell/Arundel. From the chart posted, the spelling is Arundell. I have read that this Arundell line is different to the Arundel line. Is this true? Thank you. Marilyn

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:29 BST (UK) »
Strathbrook, spelling was not an exact science during the Middle Ages, so most names have multiple spelling variations.  Arundel and Arundell appear to have been used interchangeably for the Earls of that ilk.

However, I have also seen references to Arundells (usually with two l's) of Lanherne in Cornwall.  I know little about them, but found this link that gives some interesting information:

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/arundell-john-i-1366-1435

Offline strathbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 September 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps for this information, most grateful, will share with two cousins I have recently found while searching my family line. Cheers M

Offline strathbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 September 14 05:57 BST (UK) »
I am far from experienced in Genealogy, and way behind everyone else, but has anyone read Burke's Peerage vol 1, page 1168? I have managed to obtain a copy of this reference, I can email if anyone is interested. Guessing most have already see it. It is either the most massive hoax in history or true. Only two options. Too many grey hairs over this one.   :D Cheers Marilyn

Offline strathbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 02:59 BST (UK) »
 ;) I have just received my Autosomal DNA results, am 100% European. The only ancestry connections I have from Spain are from Royal Blood, so this could be a possible connection through Ranulph Fitzalan of Arundel/l.  May do more DNA tests in the future. I thought that this was a good way to try prove my connection. Time will tell. Cheers Marilyn

Offline strathbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 December 14 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have this morning been going through Volume 1 Antiquities & History of Buckinghamshire, I have purchased this Volume. Have printed off many pages relating to Dormer. If anyone is interested I can scan and send via email. I have been searching for the information relating to Ranulph which is also found in Burke's Peerage Page 1168. I did have this inf, but my computer was compromised and I lost it. It is there somewhere. Cheers Marilyn