Author Topic: Aughamore or Aghamore near Ballyhaunis  (Read 15996 times)

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aughamore or Aghamore near Ballyhaunis
« on: Tuesday 01 December 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have recently started researching a Michael McLoughlin who is said to have come to England from Ballyhaunis.  I am hoping to find out the civil parish and R.C. parish and perhaps the townland where he was born.  The 1911 England census shows his birthplace as Mayo, Aughamore. 

Can anyone tell me if Aughamore and Aghamore are two different places, both near Ballyhaunis, or if Aughamore is just a different spelling of Aghamore?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Aughamore or Aghamore near Ballyhaunis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 23:04 GMT (UK) »
there seems to be two townlands named Aghamore listed on the thownland database
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad
Townland    Acres    Barony    Civil Parish    PLU

Aghamore      436       Costello    Aghamore    Swineford
Aghamore      44       Murrisk    Oughaval    Westport    

google map showing one of the townlands, located about 9km north of Ballyhaunis : http://www.rootschat.com/links/07la/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Shane.

I assume that the Aghamore in Swineford PLU is the one I should be looking at. 

The same results come up if I google Aghamore, Mayo or Aughamore, Mayo.  Estate agents' advertisements seem to use the Aughamore spelling.  The properties advertised are described as being near Ballyhaunis so it looks as if there are two ways of spellings the one place name.

Mary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
should have mentioned that Poor Law Union (PLU) is usually equivalent to registration district used for Civil records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 December 09 02:33 GMT (UK) »
No McLoughlin's are listed in Aghamore townland (which Shane has pinpointed, Swineford registration district) in Griffith's valuation or the 1901 census. If you extend your search to Aghamore parish there were many. If Michael was still at home in 1901 search the census at
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml
Parish records begin in 1864, the same year as civil registration. The Civil and RC Parish seemingly have common boundaries.

If you have them, perhaps post Michael's age and father's name on the site.

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 December 09 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Michael McLoughlin was probably born around 1861/1862.  He was in England by the time of the 1891 census which shows his age as 29.  He was still 29 when he got married in November 1894.  His age was shown as 33 in 1901 and 45 in 1911.

I found out yesterday, from his marriage certificate, that his father was James McLoughlin.  There are two James McLoughlins on the 1901 census in Aghamore parish who would have been old enough to be Michael's father, one with a wife Ann in Derrygay and one with a wife Mary in Mountain Common.    From the online transcript of Aghamore R.C. baptisms, it seems that Ann in Derrygay was Ann Gormalley/Gormally/Gormley and Mary in Mountain Common was Mary Kneafsey.   

James McLoughlin & Ann Gormley were the parents of a Michael McLoughlin baptised in October 1877.  That cannot be the Michael I am researching so James McLoughlin & Mary Kneafsey are the more likely of those two couples to have been his parents. 

There is one surviving child of Michael, a daughter aged 93 who is said to be very confused.  I am hoping that she may be able to recall the names of her McLoughlin uncles and aunts and perhaps the name of her grandmother.

Offline MaryFMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Mary,
I am also researching a Michael McLoughlin, believed to be from Ballyhaunis, are we researching the same person - who is in 1911 census of Rainford, Lancs, gives his birthplace as Mayo, Aughamore?  Are we related?  He was my great grandfather on my mother's side.
Best wishes,
Mary
McLoughlin, Galsworthy, Latham, Quemby, Kirkland, Yates, Jauncey, Tester, Rainford, Nolan, Steventon, Harding, Baughan, Morrison, McVoran, Sinclair, McArthur, Lindsay, Wilson (Ayrshire), Stevenson (Ayrshire); MyPartner's research names: Bodman, Denison, Gledden, Dunn, Mitchell, Bartram, Pickard, Toas, Barff, Deighton, Addyman

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
Mary,
Was your great-grandfather married to Jane [Kirkland] and living in Higher Lane, Rainford in 1911?  The grandfather of my brother-in-law was.
Mary

Offline MaryFMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying, Mary.  Yes, that is the right family!  I'm new to this forum, but I've been researching my tree for a few years, and reached a brick wall with identifying which James McLoughlin was Michael's father (like you, I have a copy of Michael and Jane(Jeannie)'s wedding certificate).
Mary
McLoughlin, Galsworthy, Latham, Quemby, Kirkland, Yates, Jauncey, Tester, Rainford, Nolan, Steventon, Harding, Baughan, Morrison, McVoran, Sinclair, McArthur, Lindsay, Wilson (Ayrshire), Stevenson (Ayrshire); MyPartner's research names: Bodman, Denison, Gledden, Dunn, Mitchell, Bartram, Pickard, Toas, Barff, Deighton, Addyman