Author Topic: BYATT-SKIPP Marriage - HALs  (Read 17530 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: BYATT-SKIPP Marriage - HALs
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 December 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Looks as though Daisypetal has found my girl. Think Elizabeth would have been with the family in the '61 census if she were alive. If you could find the burial that would be even better.

Thanks once again for the effort you're putting in on my behalf.

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 December 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

My main interest is the Barnes family from Sandon and a number of other North East Herts parishes.

Don't know where you're interest lies.

I mistakenly thought that the Byatt family were part of my Barnes picture but this proved to be untrue.

With regard to John Skipp.  He was a widower when he married Catherine Barnes. His first wife was one Hester Barnes. Hester was the daughter of James Barnes and Mary Martin. James was the brother of William Barnes, married to Elizabeth Ward. This couple were Catherine's grandparents.

With regard to Ann Skipp and Henry Edward Barnes. They were 2nd cousins. William Barnes and Elizabeth Ward's (mentioned above) great grand children.

Bit incestuous what?

Cheers Benzol

Offline christinedobson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 December 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Benzol

My main searching is on the Byatt line as my son in law is a Byatt.  But of course so many other names come up and John Skipp and his first wife Hester Barnes had a daughter Mary who married George Hills - Hills is another name that keeps coming up.  Anyway George Hills and Mary Skipp had a daughter Sarah Hills who married William Byatt who was a brother of Alfred Byatt  who married Elizabeth Skipp.  As to incestuos relationships I have found that many of the marriages would have been between cousins and have found one that is 1st cousins marrying.   Re Catherine Barnes the 2nd wife of John Skipp, have I got this right - her father was James Barnes and grandparents William Barnes and  Elizabeth Ward - who was her mother.  I have Henry Edward Barnes parents as Thomas and Elizabeth and if this is correct then I would love to have the grandparent info so that I can tie him back to William Barnes.
I am happy to share any info that I have albeit I havn't had time to check all the info yet but it might be easier to email direct my add is

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat Policy, to help prevent spam and other abuses. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 09 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine,

Catherine's parents were:

Thomas Barnes (bapt Therfield) 1778-1846 and
Mary Warren (bapt Ardeley) 1774-1846.

The couple were married in Ardeley 1798 and lived in Hyndes Spring Cottage (AKA Hindses), Shaw green nr Rushden and Wallington Herts. They were buried at St Mary the parish church of Rushden. Thomas was a shepherd like so many of the Barnes clan.

Catherine had 7 siblings, (5 older and 2 younger). My great grandfather James Barnes was the eldest and the only one not baptised in Rushden. He moved to Pirton, another Herts villiage c. 1810 and lived there until he died at the age of c. 93. He changed his name to Baines in the 1830s. If you search the Pirton database you'll find all my family through the 1800s.

I have traced my Barnes ancestors as far back as 1650 although the very early representatives lack provenance.

Hope this helps.

Benzol

ps Do yo have any details of the children of John and Catherine Skipp. I have the basics but anything you've discovered would be appreciated.

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benzol,

I searched the Sandon PRs and found the two items which appear to solve the problem.
1. Burial of Elizabeth SKIPP of Sandon 12Apr1852 age 1 week.
2. Baptism 07Apr1852 of Elizabeth d/o John and Catherine SKIPP a labourer of Sandon. 

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter

Good result. Case closed.

Benzol

Offline john hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 September 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi...
My name is John Hills born 1942. I am researching my ancestors from Sandon, Herts. I visited HALS yesterday and looked at the microfische for Sandon marriages but cannot find the entry for GEORGE HILLS marriage to MARY SKIPP - 1842.  The quarter was missing.
Do you have any record of this marriage as I would like to trace GEORGE'S parents.  The IGI show the father as SHEM but HALS have assured me that the name is JOHN.
Hope to hear from you.
Regards
John Hills

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 September 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi John, and welcome to rootschat

you have accidently posted on herEfordshire, not HerT fordshire its easily done but the marriage you want can be found by searching on freebmd . registered in royston herts june quarter 1842. with the ref no you can buy the marriage cert. from the gro, which will give parents names.

regards Mazi,s oh

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

ref Royston & Buntingford Reg Dist Jun Qtr 1842 ref 6.729

Benzol