Author Topic: Does anyone know where these places were?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where these places were?
« on: Wednesday 02 December 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a family whose children were baptised in Tanfield Church between 1773 and 1778.  The residence given for different children as Kip Hill, Northorne and Tanlove.

I know Kip Hill is near Stanley but does anyone have any idea where the other two are or were?

I've tried googling  :(

Be glad of any ideas

Thanks
Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where these places were?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

Could this be the place

CHAPELRY OF TANFIELD.
The Chapelry of Tanfield is bounded by the Derwent, dividing it from the Parish of Ryton, on the North, by the Parish of Whickham on the North and North-East, by the Chapelry of Lamesley on the East, by Chester-le-Street on the South-East, by Chester and Lanchester on the South, and by Lanchestcr and the Chapelry of Medomsley on the West.
The Chapelry is divided into two Constableries: 1. Beamish, which includes Tanfield, Tanfield Easter-Leigh, North, South, and Middle Cawsey, Kiphills, Crook, Deansclose, and Burnopfield; 2. Lintz Green, which includes Tanfield, Wester Leigh, Stanley, Shieldrow, Beckley, Andrewfield, Bryan's Leap, Yewyhurst, Northorn, Lintz Hall, Lintz Green, Coves House, Loft House, Steleclose, Priestfield, and High and Low Friarside

ricky

Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this what you are reading as Tanlove?

I think it says Tantove, which might perhaps be an early rendering of Tantobie, which was in Tanfield Parish.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Durham record office site has a list of parishes and maps, which you might find helpful:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07lq/

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your replies.
Ricky - yes that's the Northorn.  At least I now know that I was reading it right.
Jennifer - yes that's the same place although the entry I was looking at does not have the strike thriough the 't' so I was reading it as an 'l'.  If it is a 't' then it certainly could be Tantobie as we know it now.
Barbara - thanks so much for that link.  I knew I had seen such a list on the DRO website but I couldn't track it down.

The problem I have is that alternative children were baptised at each place i.e. Jane Feb 1773 Kip Hill; Mary Oct 1773 Northorn; Robert 1774 Kip Hill; Elizabeth 1776 Northorn; John 1778 Tontove.  and I'm beginning to wonder if it was two separate families - although they all seem to fit with the other info that I have.  They are all the children of Henry Curry and I can only find one Henry in the parish at the time but the place names are niggling at me.

Thanks for all your help

Susan  :)
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 09 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Tanfield St. Margaret

27-Dec-1762  Henry CURREY and Isabel SOUTHERON both of this Chapelry were married in this Chapel by Banns in the presence of William Bedlington and Margaret Cumming.

05-Dec-1772  Henry CURREY and Mary BREAKS both of this Chapelry were married in this Chapel by Banns in the presence of John Blaxton and Barbara Bedlington.

30-Jul-1768  Isabel CURRY  Wife of Henry CURRY of Northorn was buried.

26-Feb-1773 Jane CURREY Wife of Henry CURREY of Kiphill was buried.

26-Feb-1773 Jane CURREY Daughter of Henry CURREY of Kiphill was buried.

The above parish register entries might confuse things even further.

Tantobie was formerly recorded in the parish registers as Tatove.

Please let me know whether I can be of any further help.

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 09 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh No!   :-\

I knew about the marriage to Isabel and, after her death, the marriage to Mary but WHO is Jane?????

I have the baptism of daughter Jane and assumed (never should I know) that she was the daughter of Henry and MARY

I can see that I am going to have to do a bit more digging

Thanks McTalbert  ::)   :D
Fisher - Essex

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 December 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
You might like to check that my transcipt is correct and that the Jane CURREY who died on 26-Feb-1773 was really called Jane and not Mary.

In any event, were you aware of the following:

27-May-1764 Sarah, daughter of Henry CURREY of Northorn baptised.
19-Jan-1766 John, son of Henry CURREY of Northorn baptised.
19-Jul-1801 Robert, 4th son of Ralph CURRY, overman, a native of Chester Parish by his wife, Isabella PINKNEY, a native of the same Parish, baptised. Born 04-May-1801 at Northorn.

I also noticed the following burials

20-May-1778 Mary, daughter of Henry CURRY of Cloe Dene, buried.
18-Oct-1801 Joseph, son of Ralph CURRY, overman and Isabel PINKNEY of Northorn, buried.

Cloe Dene is now known as Clough Dene and lies on the outskirts of Tantobie.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 December 09 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Leave Stanley by the A 6076 (Station Road) travelling down hill to Shield Row. After passing View Lane Chapel on the right first North Thorn and then South Thorn.