Author Topic: Parrish family of Chirk  (Read 19792 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parrish family of Chirk
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 29 May 10 04:37 BST (UK) »
That means that dear old 3 X grt Grandad , Thomas Par(r)ish, the coal miner, has at least two descendants who made it to the Lords  8) 8) 8) 8)

and you're a Marquessate  ;D

Offline Tainant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 02 April 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was James Stokes, who was killed in a mining accident at Black Park Colliery in 1898. I discovered about a year or so ago that James had a son; William who died in 1900 at the age of eighteen. The interesting thing is that no one in my family knew of William's existence, my dad had always understood that his mother Caroline was James and Phoebe's eldest child.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 02 April 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
First of all Tainant a very warm welcome to Rootschat.

Now then given that James Stokes married Phoebe Jones in the Oswestry District in 1991,all things being equal I would have to say  that Caroline born in c 1892 was indeed the first child of James and Phoebe.

However the only logical explanation I can give is that James had possibly been married before as the 1901 Census shows the widowed Phoebe with children Caroline etc,but also with a "son" William given as born in St Martins in c 1884.

When and where was James the elder born?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 03 April 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of my brief appearances  but I decided to reply as it concerns my family  :)

Welcome Tainant. You must be a cousin of mine!

James (b. 1856, Willenhall) was the son of John Stokes and Caroline Par(r)ish, my 2 x grandparents . He married a Catherine (1848-1889)  (not found a marriage record though)

1891  - RG12/2118/152/6  with younger sister, Susan
1881 -  RG11/2661/64/8 with wife Catherine (died 1889)
1871 -  RG10/2784/99/19 - with parents

James married Phoebe Jones in 1991 1891

By 1911 Phoebe had remarried a Henry Lloyd and was living in Llansilin. As they are my relatives, I gather that I can mention this.

I can find no birth record of a William Stokes circa 1884 in the Oswestry RD and he is not with James in 1891. He was possibly the son of Phoebe before she married James.*

Gadget

* Added - he could be a boarder with a William and Elizabeth  Davies in Green Lane halton on the 1891: RG12/2118/155/11   There is a Birth Reg for a William Marpole Stokes, in the Oswestry Reg district, June q, 1882 but  :-\

A further addition - William Stokes died in the December q of 1901 Oswestry, vol 6a p 463. Aged 18
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 April 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
A very welcome re-appearance Gadget!

I can't find Phoebe Jones too  readily before she appears as Phoebe Stokes in 1901?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tainant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 03 April 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your interest and hello cousin. I should maybe fill in a few gaps about which I'm certain - Phoebe Jones married James Stokes in Sept 1891 when he had already one child, namely William, his first wife Catherine Evans died in 1889.
Phoebe - following the death of James (Jim) Stokes married Henry (Harry) Lloyd who also was a widower in 1909. I know the prior history of Phoebe and Henry.
My grandmother was Caroline, who I remember, she was up until I discovered William the eldest of Jim's children (I don't need to know about her other brothers and sisters because I'm old enough to have met them) It's William I would really like to know about, he was a farm labouror in St Martins when he died and was still living in Halton, Chirk.

Offline Canary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 01 August 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

I'm interested in George Williams who married Susannah Stokes in 1888.  He played football for Chirk & Wales (6 caps). In the 1911 census he was a coal miner  living in Hunslet area. Do you have any information on his date of death? I'm trying to round him off for a second edition of the "Who's Who of Welsh International soccer Players". Thanks.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 01 August 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Canary  :)

I've sent you a personal message (PM) about this family.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deborah J W

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
I am travelling to Chirk from Australia in June and would love to meet some of my Parrish relatives. My Mother was Elsie Joyce Parrish born in 1915. Her Father was Arthur, a coal miner dead of Black Lung Disease at the age of 39 when she was 9. My parents visited Chirk on their only trip back to the UK almost 40 years ago and at that time Mum had enough living relatives for a large and happy reunion.
Deborah