Author Topic: marriage lookup Dundee  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Forbes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
marriage lookup Dundee
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 18:14 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I am looking for help to locate the parents of John Hendry and Helen McCabe who were married in 1906 in Dundee. Can anyone help please.
This would be really appreciated,
Forbes    :)

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: marriage lookup Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Forbes,

www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk has the register of marriages from 1855 to 1929.  This is a pay per view site at 30 credits cost 6 Pounds.  Unfortunately I don't have any credits left and it can get a bit expensive if you don't  find the record you're looking for straight away as it takes 5 credits to view a record.  On the positive side, the marriage records you can view (at least the one I found for my gg grandparents marriage in 1860) have all the information from the certificate i.e. place, exact date, ages, names of the parents & witnesses so you don't need to order a certificate to get more information.

Hope this helps,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forbes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 20:54 BST (UK) »

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the help. Will be getting help with this website. Having trouble getting access due to cookies not being enabled for this site.  Hoping my son will sort out the computer for me as it is all double dutch to me.

Really gratefull for the help,
Forbes

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 05 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Forbes,

Just purchased some more credits from Scotlandspeople to follow up a new lead on my Dundee ancestors.  Had a quick look for your Hendry/McCabe marriage in 1906 and the most likely candidate is the marriage of John Hendry and ELLEN McCabe which took place in the district of St Peter, Angus.  I can't view the images from the computer I'm on at the moment (it doesn't have the right version of ActiveX installed or something) but I hope this reference will help you when you manage to get online at Scotlandspeople.

No. Year  Surname(M) Forename(M) Surname(F) Forename(F) District   County   
1    1906  HENDRY          JOHN            MCCABE         ELLEN     ST PETER ANGUS

GROS: 282/01 0074

Regards,

Allan

ps If you want to have a go yourself at sorting out the problem with cookies on your computer and if you're using Internet Explorer, the procedure is:

1. Click on "Tools" on the main menu of Explorer and then on "Internet Options" on the drop-down menu.
2. A box should appear with various tabs near the top.  Click on the "Privacy" tab and you should see in bold letters, just to the right of the top of the little slider, what your current privacy setting is.  i.e. what cookies (if any) your computer will receive.
3. If you can't receive cookies then your current setting is probably either "Block all cookies", "High" or "MediumHigh" and if you move the slider down with the mouse until the bold text I mentioned reads "Medium" and then click the "OK" button you should then be able to receive cookies and get online at Scotlandspeople.  I'm not sure whether you need to shut down your computer and re-start for these changes to take effect so you should probably do this anyway.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forbes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 05 18:23 BST (UK) »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the help. I think this is almost definitely the couple I am looking for.

As for my computer I am still waiting for my son to get round to looking at it,  so I will take your advice and follow your instructions. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Forbes   ;D

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 05 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Forbes,
This is the marriages info..

on the 16th/4/1906, at St Joseph's Chapel, Dundee.
After Publication according to the
Forms of the Roman Catholic Church.
John Hendry [shipyard labourer], aged 28yrs, living at 24 St Mary St, Dundee.
Father Micheal Hendry, [labourer] deceased.
Mother Catherine Hendry maiden surname, Duggan.

MARRIED

Ellen McCabe, Jute spinner, aged 26,
 living at 26 West Henderson's Wynd, Dundee.
Father...... Peter McCabe, [labourer] deceased.
Mother..... Mary McCabe, maiden surname, Gavin, deceased.
Witnesses......
Joseph Gribbin and Mary Gribbin.

Regards
kenjo ;D
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Forbes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 11:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Kenjo,

Thanks for the lookup much appreciated.  On to another generation!!   Really appreciate the help.

Happy Hunting,

Forbes