Author Topic: Please can anyone decipher this name,  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone decipher this name,
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thank to every one for their replies.
A the time of his marriage the groom was a “shaft sinker ”[ what he was doing on the IOW ?]  In the 1871 there was a possibility that he was in the army ???I’m not sure.
I don’t have a copy of the 1871 census [the the previous page] of the Woodford, but I think it must be one of them,
I have made a list of the possible names, & will keep an eye open for them .
I don’t think a scan of more of the certificate will help as they were witnesses at the marriage.
Thank all.
Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The long S in English usage had largely gone by 1850. In any case a double S ending to a word would be shown fs and not ff.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
  • Mother: The Best Thing Before Sliced Bread
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 December 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
If I may add my sixpence-worth:
I see the top name as 'Gregory Hough'.
Ed
EYRE :        Sheffield - Yorkshire
COX:          City of Oxford
NASH:         Edmonton - Middlesex
CULL:          Canterbury - Kent
GILLIES:      Paisley - Renfrewshire
O'CONNOR: Limerick, Ireland  ~ 57th Regiment of Foot
                                     (Crimea,India,New Zealand)

The trouble with the world is that it's the stupid who know all the answers.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 December 09 04:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I can add anything to the readings of the upper first name, but regarding the upper surname:
- The second character in the surname is a loop created on an upward stroke, which to me indicates an 'e', not an 'o'. It just doesn't look like Hough to me.
- I think the middle characters of the upper surname could be a double 's' (there are small loops at the bottom) making the surname possibly Hessils. Unfortunately FreeBMD has no Hessils. But there are several Hessels - however, the final vowel (if that's what it is) in the signature looks more like an undotted 'i' than an 'e' to me.

Regarding the curlicues/descenders:
- If that is a curlicue on the W of Woodford, then it appears that the surname is preceded by two curlicued initials - Mr/Ms Woodford would seem to have liked curlicued capitals! The second initial is then definitely a W, but the first is difficult to decipher, since the top overlays part of the upper surname, and the linking bit of the curlicue is too faint to see. Going through the alphabet, I think the first initial would have to be F, I, J, or T as there does appear to be a cross-stroke.
- To me the curlicues don't appear to line up closely enough with anything on the upper signatures to be descenders. But there may be other descenders overlaying the main strokes of the two Ws. The final letter of the upper first name could well be a y. the W of Woodford does appear smudged, and there may be a descender, seperate from the curlicue, in there somewhere.

Pete
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 December 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I think it could be Gregory (or George) Hough.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Marengo

• RootsChat Member
  • Mother: The Best Thing Before Sliced Bread
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
If I may add my sixpence-worth:
I see the top name as 'Gregory Hough'.
Ed

After a little more deliberation, does anyone consider the top surname might be 'Hinds'.?
I am aware that if the second letter is 'i', it lacks a tittle but in my experience, such an omission is not uncommon when cursive script is executed in a hurried or stressful (viz. under the scrutiny of others) situation.
Ed
EYRE :        Sheffield - Yorkshire
COX:          City of Oxford
NASH:         Edmonton - Middlesex
CULL:          Canterbury - Kent
GILLIES:      Paisley - Renfrewshire
O'CONNOR: Limerick, Ireland  ~ 57th Regiment of Foot
                                     (Crimea,India,New Zealand)

The trouble with the world is that it's the stupid who know all the answers.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I suppose it could be Hinds, but doesn't the wide scatter of opinion suggest that this name probably really is indeciferable. I wonder what a u.v. test on the original might show? But how to get access?